Starvation Mode is A Myth

Options
this is a very sad story , i go to see one of my grandchildren on weds after school, we sat talking as normal when her nan came in from the kitchen. I hadnt seen her for a few months but couldnt believe how thin she now is. Her husband is in hospital and she has the start of dementia, she has been forgetting to eat, just not feeling hungry and thought she had eaten. My daughter in law was cooking for her tonight and has been for the last few days. As i said this is a sad story, but the moral is if there was such a thing as the starvation mode people like her would not loose weight as with people with anorexia who go stick thin.

Replies

• jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You do need a certain number of calories just to survive. You body will never be able to survive forever on no calories. Starvation mode is when you eat consistently eat lower calories followed by periods of binging. Your body will adapt like a camel holding onto the binged calories and dispersing them to survive. People like your grandchilds nan and people with ED don't binge. So their bodies lose weight. Muscle, fat and bone density.
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    somewhat similiar to my dad when he was diagnosed with brain cancer when I was 14 years old. my mom or I had to feed him to make sure he would eat. it was very hard for me at the time as I was just 14 years old and my father died a year later. since he had 8 brain tumors hiscouldn't function a whole lot and where our bodies give a signal when we were hungry his did not. I so feel for that story.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's a surprise to you that people get thin from not eating?