vegetable calories

Options
I have heard different people say that they don't count calories from thier vegetables. For example, I snack on carrots at work so should I not count the carrots into my daily budget??? I've heard people say that "you can eat vegetables all day long and not have to count them, not sure that I understand this???

Replies

• Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    Of course you should count them. The calories do add up if you're eating a lot of them.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Well, here's the deal.

Generally speaking, veggies are low-cal and good for you. Yay!

But.

They do have calories. If you're snacking on one serving a day, that's like 50 calories? If you don't count them, that's 50 calories a day you could be over your goal.

It doesn't sound like a lot. Heck, it's not a lot. However, being 50 calories over your needs for a day will gain you 5lbs over the course of a year (or prevent you from losing 5lbs over the course of a year, if you're aiming to be at a deficit).

Personally I log everything that goes into my mouth. It makes it easier to have a good idea of exactly what it is that you're eating.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If it goes in your mouth and comes out your bottom.... count it.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember who else posted this, but it's brilliant: "If you bite it, write it." :happy: