Sufferers of Eating Disorders?

Options
I'm posting now because I feel like I'm on the verge of a relapse into my anorexia, and kind of just need to hear from people who know the feeling of what I'm going through. I've been dealing with my demons since I was about 13, I wanted to know how anyone in recovery or currently suffering from any eating disorder is coping. How do you deal with relapse? What coping mechanisms do you use to help with the isolation and anxiety? How do you move on? What have your experiences been? Do you have any advice? What do you do when you're scared of losing yourself? Really, any words of wisdom you have, I would love to hear. Thank you.

Replies

• mbh56671
    mbh56671 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm probably not going to help at all what so ever but this is my advice, just remember when youre feeling like youre fat or bloated or you gained weight so you dont wanna eat anymore...its your eating disorder telling you that. Remember that its normal to eat and not worry about gaining or how you look and that NO ONE thinks youre fat at all and chances are im sure youre super skinny and look amazing (: for me it helps to distract myself when i do have to eat, so i dont over think it. It's probably something hard to do but maybe dont weigh yourself that much? If you just recently started to recover then you gain very quickly in the beginning then it evens out to a healthy weight. Just remember its normal to eat healthy and exercise, but dont give in to that little voice, she's not trying to help shes trying to kill you. Best of luck on your recovery, i know how hard that must be!

Love-Morgan <3
  • SarahK2710
    Options
    I've never 'suffered' from an eating disorder, but I survived a summer of 'self malnourishment', which was completely self-inflicted. But one of my best friends has suffered from anorexia and bulimia. She sought professional help, and as her support system, we were coached on how to help prevent relapses.

You need to figure out what it is that is causing this fear of relapse? Is it a certain type of stress, something to do with the time of the year (an anniversary of something good or bad) feelings of dread or happiness. (Yes, happy stress can cause a relapse too) Stress and excitement are the same emotion, it's all about how you deal with it.

If you can figure what where these feelings are coming from, it makes it easier to remove yourself from that situation and clear your head. I know for my friend, she went to work abroad for a year, and although I haven't seen her in almost a year (she's home in 2 weeks, yah!!) it seems to have worked for her. When we have Skyped of texted each other, she seems to be handling things quite well. I'm not saying to drop everything and leave, but look at your life with an outsiders perspective and maybe things will look clearer.

Everyone has demons, and they always seem to know the perfect time to show their ugly little heads, but I'm sure you're a strong determined young woman, and you can get through this.