Negative attitudes everywhere!

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I just don't join in. I just listen, sort of. When they finish, I just kinda say, "Yeah, I don't know. People are people." or something stupid like that, and walk away. It's the nicest way I know to do it. LOL. But, it works. And, eventually, they'll stop because you don't participate. They are looking for someone to play the "woe is me" game. If you don't play, they lose interest in you. It's a win-win.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Put your hands over your ears, close your eyes and start saying really loudly, "I'M NOT LISTENING....LALALALA!!!"

It's not a very helpful response....but you have to admit it would probably work....

If that doesn't work, look away, tune them out, and go. "uh huh" every 2 minutes....they just want to talk anyway. they don't actually care if you are really listening or not.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Try being honest....and say I just take take any negitive attitudes right now...I'm working so hard on myself and staying clear of it!

^this. And if is just co-workers I would say I don't really want to get involved with it.

I have made my discontent about being involved abundantly clear to my boss, but for right now, unfortunately, I am stuck in it.
  • HellsKells
    Options
    I just don't join in. I just listen, sort of. When they finish, I just kinda say, "Yeah, I don't know. People are people." or something stupid like that, and walk away. It's the nicest way I know to do it. LOL. But, it works. And, eventually, they'll stop because you don't participate. They are looking for someone to play the "woe is me" game. If you don't play, they lose interest in you. It's a win-win.

Nice. Yeah, I need to be more aloof.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Just tell them to kiss your soon to be skinny butt.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    start talking about soccer. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Since most people don't really want solutions to their problems, just someone to listen to, don't bother absorbing what they're saying. Smile and nod, nod and smile.

Or, if you're on the phone, set your kitchen timer for two minutes, stand nearby, and when it dings, you have to get the ____ out of the oven, and, "Oh, crap... it's burning. I'll call you back later."
  • HellsKells
    Options
    start talking about soccer. :)

Haha....that's a good way for them to tune ME out. :tongue:
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Put your hands over your ears, close your eyes and start saying really loudly, "I'M NOT LISTENING....LALALALA!!!"

It's not a very helpful response....but you have to admit it would probably work....

Best. Answer. Ever. This is my new life strategy, it cannot fail!
  • cookieluvsya
    cookieluvsya Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    are these people your friends? don't you kind of expect them to listen to you when you're going through something hard? they're clearly asking for your advice or opinion on something they're dealing with...

it's called having a normal relationship with someone.

actually, it's not my close friends I'm having trouble with, but acquaintances and work colleagues. And even if it WERE a friend, we all have limits.

YES we def have our limits! But since they are colleagues, its a lot easier to get rid of them.. I just pretend im working really hard at my desk looking at my papers or comp screen, then look up and give them the look like "hey muther pucker.. you're bugging!!!" I give that look all the time, I guess Im good at it haha
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Here's a quarter, go call someone who cares!
    Do people even know what that means anymore? Do payphones still exist?

I used one on Monday to call my mum when my mobile died. It was 60p but! extortionate!
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If these are your co-workers, tell them to go to HR (especially if it's even slightly work-related, or something that is affecting their work. HR will want to know about it).

I'm in HR and I feel like a freakin' therapist sometimes! But at least I'm getting paid to hear their woes! Seriously, you should not have to listen to this.
  • HellsKells
    Options
    Yeah, the work stuff is a personality conflict between two people that are supposed to be working together on a project, but since they can't, I've been asked to step in and do the work, while also acting as referee until the managers decide what to do about it.

I don't know what HR could do to manage that situation, but it's something to consider.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, btw. Some of it's gonna get put to use :smile:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Example: Called a cab. The cab came waaaaay after it was promised. He started giving me excuses. I held my hand up to motion to be silent and said "How's that my problem?"

Example: Girl in the store started talking and telling how horrible her mother is to her and is the reason she drinks. My answer "Maybe its because you annoy the living *kitten* out of her. Damn girl I don't even know you and I already hate you. You should be worshipping your mother for not smothering you in your sleep"

Example: somebody who used to work under me not doing his duties and constantly screwing up and on top of all that, making it seem like his life is harder than mine. Finally when my boss told me to talk to him I started talking to him and again same story about how hard his life is and "You have no idea what it is like to live a life like me man" to which my answer was "I'm your boss, not your bartender. Go cry about your problems to somebody else".

My friends will attest that I am a nice person till people mistake my niceness for my weakness and thats when I decide to set things straight.
  • islandgirl1984
    islandgirl1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Clearly these people feel that they can trust you or that you can offer a positive word of advice in some way. I would take it as a compliment and an opportunity to help someone. We ALL need a listening ear from time to time.

If it's turning into gossip then what I do in those situations is say, "I'd rather not talk about so-n-so behind their back, but I am very sorry that you're feeling stressed about this" and then I move on. If you don't listen to crap conversations then people tend to stop...
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Just yell "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!"

r25-resized-600.png
  • HellsKells
    Options
    Example: Called a cab. The cab came waaaaay after it was promised. He started giving me excuses. I held my hand up to motion to be silent and said "How's that my problem?"

Example: Girl in the store started talking and telling how horrible her mother is to her and is the reason she drinks. My answer "Maybe its because you annoy the living *kitten* out of her. Damn girl I don't even know you and I already hate you. You should be worshipping your mother for not smothering you in your sleep"

Example: somebody who used to work under me not doing his duties and constantly screwing up and on top of all that, making it seem like his life is harder than mine. Finally when my boss told me to talk to him I started talking to him and again same story about how hard his life is and "You have no idea what it is like to live a life like me man" to which my answer was "I'm your boss, not your bartender. Go cry about your problems to somebody else".

My friends will attest that I am a nice person till people mistake my niceness for my weakness and thats when I decide to set things straight.

Hahaha....yeah, I would love to say I can be blunt like that, but it's just not me. :embarassed:

Island girl...you make good points. I'm gonna work on trying to distance myself from the "she said/she said" thing going on here.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You're the go to girl. Keep on keepin' on..........
  • HellsKells
    Options
    Just yell "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!"

r25-resized-600.png

LOL

I don't know if I could act it out as well as Chris Farley, but I could give it a try!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Come to the Magic Mike thread and you will be happy