PTSD Awareness Month-Who needs support?

Options
Hello, given that it is PTSD Awareness Month, I am wondering how many out there are like me with a family suffering from PTSD? Or how many of you suffer yourselves and would like a safe place/friend to get support?

My brother was in Iraq for a year and a half and has come back a completely different person. Unfortunately he suffers from severe PTSD, and is having a real hard time handling/coping with it. He lives about 2 hours away from me which makes it that much harder, but I do what I can to listen to him (even during his drunken babblings), not judge him and reassure him that I am here for him no matter the time of day for him to talk to. He's struggled a lot with judgments from our family members because of his dependance on alcohol to numb the pain. He has also lost his most recent girlfriend (who in my opinion was really helping him get to a better place) because of this disorder.

For those of us that haven't gone through what they have, we have no idea or point of reference to be able to relate to them. We do however know what it feels like to essentially lose someone we care about because they aren't the same person that you knew. I want to see how many of us there are out there that suffer or know someone who suffers from PTSD to not only lend support and encouragement for our physical health, but our mental health as well.

Please feel free to add me. I'm willing to listen and am willing to try to lend my experiences and advice where I can.

Nicki

Replies

• alicepoppyh
    Options
    I'm not personally affected by this issue, I just wanted to send you (and your brother) a mental hug and tell you that you're awfully brave and kind to put this out here.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    My hubby has it went to Vietnam and I had it a few yrs ago hit me bad because of something that happened I've learned to deal with it but ave my good cry every day and wo daily to help me
  • LrdTwitchyMcChin
    Options
    Thank you ladies! I just wish I knew how to help my brother. My family being judgemental and ignorant (especially my uncle who was in desert storm), can go jump in my opinion. This is the time he needs us the most without belittling him. I wish more people would comment on this string. I understand it's a very personal issue, but there are people out there who are willing to do what they can to help even if it is just listening.