Spices that go well with turkey or chicken

Options
been grilling my turkey and chicken on the george foreman the past month but i still cant get the right combination of spices. i head cinnamon boosts the motabolism so i put that on my turkey tonight.BIG MISTAKE. anyone got any good recipes to put on the meat before it goes on the grill?

Replies

• Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Try this: Oregeno, Garlic powder and some lemon (either freshly squeezed on to it while cooking or lemon seasoning). I'm Greek, and my papou uses this combination, especially with fresh lemon, to spice the chicken. Probably the best thing ever :happy:
  • mmmfryingpan
    Options
    thanks!! must remember to buy garlic powder! i have some but its so old its just a clump at the bottom of a jar!
    i will definately try your recipe tomorrow!
  • Oliviamarie05
    Options
    No problem :) I'd also suggest paprika and some fresh cilantro and garlic powder. This is also an amazing combination.
  • mmmfryingpan
    Options
    writing it all down. its so hard to make food exciting when ur stripping it back to the basics.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    sage and onion, is good, like the stuffing but no breadcrumbs.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Options
    Oh I know! There are tons of recipes on here that you can check out in the recipe forum. Some people have some amazing, simple recipes that you can cook and they're quick and easy.
  • superstankazz
    Options
    -Lemon pepper seasoning is really good on ground chicken.
    -Poultry seasoning is good on turkey burgers and so is cajun seasoning like Zatarans or Tony Chachers.
    -Ground sage is good for both.
    -One of my favorite recipes for turkey burgers is to add minced garlic, fresh ginger, green onions, soysauce and chinese five spice before you form the patties..
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I like onion powder, paprika and parsley on my bbq chicken :)
  • mmmfryingpan
    Options
    thanks for all your help guys! ive written it all down in my journal so i can get cracking tomorrow!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash is my new found spice of choice!!!!!! I like it, and in trying really hard to keep my sodium down (high blood pressure) its awesome!
  • lornaheron
    lornaheron Posts: 72
    Options
    Cajun spice is great with turkey or chicken. I put them in fajitas with some peppers and onions with a bit of salsa. I also use onion salt and garlic salt on everything.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The combination of garlic salt and black pepper is good on practically any type of meat. If it is poultry, you can add seasoned salt as well (I like Lawrey's).
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Onion powder/garlic powder/sage/salt/pepper.

Otherwise "Kickin' Chicken" is GREAT. I think it's a Weber brand spice.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Try this: Oregeno, Garlic powder and some lemon (either freshly squeezed on to it while cooking or lemon seasoning). I'm Greek, and my papou uses this combination, especially with fresh lemon, to spice the chicken. Probably the best thing ever :happy:

This sounds amazing. I must cook this soon.
  • there4thehunt
    Options
    Perhaps you didn't do the cinnamon with the right combination of spices? I just made a recipe last night that was deeeeelicious. I took 1.5 pounds of chicken cutlets and threw them in a plastic baggy with 1tsp of cinnamon, 1 tsp of cumin, and 2 tsp of of chili powder. I then had some mango chutney (from Trader Joe's) that I used to baste the chicken with while it grilled on my indoor grill-pan. I left the chicken w/ the spice rub on it for a few hours in the refrigerator. Take the chicken out of the fridge like 30 min. before you grill it to take the chill off before throwing it on the pan. The husband and the kiddos loved it (surprised me, they are 3 yrs and 20 months). I think you have to be partial to Indian-like flavorings to like cinnamon with your savory food.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Sage, thyme, celery seed.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    A little olive oil, freshly crushed garlic and ground black pepper with freshly squeezed lemon juice

marinade the chicken for a couple of hours and bbq or grill when almost done add freshly chopped green corriander (cilantro) to remaining marinade and dip chicken in the marinade returning to heat for 30-40 sec a side

serve with greek yougurt mixed with fresh garlic, fresh corriander and lemon juice :drinker:
  • tammisr32
    tammisr32 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    everyone gave great suggestions, as usual! If you don't have spices, but have fresh onion and garlic... Just cut up the onion into large chunks and rest the meat on top, then rub meat with crushed garlic.... yummo! Also, curry powder mixed with plain old mustard and paprika was awesome too!
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Lemon pepper and garlic salt always work. For me, I prefer minced garlic and serrano or habanero with salt/pepper/fresh lemon or lime juice and soy sauce.