CHOLESTEROL HELP

Options
Hi All -- I am a 32 year old female, 280lbs (44lbs down from 324lbs) and have medication controlled hypertension. My hypertension is hereditary and the docs say that regardless of my weightloss I will still have it. HOWEVER -- obviously there are many other reasons to lose the weight too!

My question is about CHOLESTEROL. I eat a very healthy diet but still find it hard to keep the cholesterol low. Even just 1 egg has 221mgs!

What do you guys know about cholesterol? I have read that if you have heart disease (and I consider my hypertension a form of controlled heart disease) than you should have under 200mgs of cholesterol per day. Does this mean I can't even eat one egg?

My bad cholesterol is low, my good cholesterol is low and my triglycerides are practically non-existent.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :glasses: I don't know what kind of meds you are on, or if you've had any side effects but I feel the need to let people know that if they have had a bad reaction to Statin drugs they probably should also avoid Red Rice Yeast that you get from health food stores. It is the base for the Statin drugs and carrys the same risks of Liver Damage and muscle damage including Rabdomyalysis (sp?)

Sorry if this is off the topic but I just found out about it yesterday, and my mother nearly died from the side effects of the Statin drugs. The clerk at the health food store sold her the red rice yeast because he didn't know about the connection it has to Statins. :noway:

:happy: Thankfully they gave her the money back, even though she had taken a few of the pills.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    the fact that your LDL (bad cholesterol) is low is a good sign. you can try fish oil tablets to increase your HDL (good cholesterol) and exercise does wonders as well, and low triglycerides is a good thing.

Sounds like a reasonable diet full of fresh veggies and lean meats, along with exercise, and if you want some fish oil tablets, you are on the right track. Talk to your doctor though :)
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    The thing to keep in mind is that there are two ways to get cholesterol, your liver producing it, and animal products. Take a close look at all the foods you eat and minimize your animal product intake. Processed foods have a lot of hidden animal products. Even lean meat carries high amounts of cholesterol, so don't be confused with low fat items.

Hope this helps!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    The thing to keep in mind is that there are two ways to get cholesterol, your liver producing it, and animal products. Take a close look at all the foods you eat and minimize your animal product intake. Processed foods have a lot of hidden animal products. Even lean meat carries high amounts of cholesterol, so don't be confused with low fat items.

Hope this helps!

Intake of animal products such as saturated fat have nothing to do with high cholesterol. That myth has been debunked by many, many, many doctors.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I have genetic hypertension also. I have eaten egg yolks for the past year and no cholesterol problem. My triglycerides were 42 so don't believe the egg hype. Recent research shows that eating 2 a day has no cholesterol elevating effects. Eggs aren't as bad as they have made them out to be. It is best to get cholesterol from natural sources (animal fat) instead of the kind in cookies.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/57791--8-the-150-healthiest-foods-on-earth