Shoes for weight training

Options
Sorry if this is a repost, but when I searched for "shoes" in the forums, there were like 50 pages of results...

Anyways, I've completely trashed my expensive Brooks running shoes by wearing them in the gym and now they're getting on my nerves when I train, especially when doing side split squats or lunges or anything where you don't want to slide off the side of your shoe.

Does anyone have a favorite brand/style/fit type of shoe they prefer to use strictly for the gym? I'm thinking of a shoe that has support but is more minimal so that I'm not fighting the padding of the sole constantly. I've wanted to try Vibram Five Fingers for a while, but due to some recurring foot problems I'm steering away from those unless a doctor clears me to use them.

So, suggestions?? And, as always, thank you for reading and offering up your suggestions! :drinker:

Replies

• ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    For heavy lifting you don't want squishy (i.e. running) shoes.

Vibrams are good, but if you can't do those (and I totally can't afford them!) the most common suggestion is good old Converse Chuck Taylors.

The ones in my profile pic are Nike Musique - practically no sole, made for dancing.