Any Cushies?

Options
Is there anyone on MFP who has Cushings?

It would be helpful to find someone else struggling with the same issues here.

Replies

• JenniferMann24
    Options
    I am wondering if I do....Im going to the doctor tomorrow to see about it. I was diagnosed with PCOS but really didn't have any of the MAJOR symptoms. However I do have many of the symptoms of cushings.

Was it hard getting diagnosed?
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the middle of it. *sigh* It's been about three years of struggling to get any medical professional to listen to what I was saying.

When you weigh 250llbs and you say you only eat 600 calories a day- they tend to believe the scale and not you. :grumble:

I've had to stop working out because it's causing me too much pain and actually making me gain inches and weight. All in the trunk area. I'm getting frustrated and was hoping to find other people dealing with this too. It's beyond disheartening some times.

I was dx/d with PCOS too. By an ultrasound- which isn't how it's supposed to be done I've come to learn.

Edit- Funny thing is- once I stopped working out my weight loss started again. Weird huh?
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    Mine won't come off for NOTHIN! Sorry to sound like a hick :blushing:
    I was workin out hard and eating right and nothing!! Im currently off the wagon with eating but I exercise every day!

I pray you get some answers and that I do to.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I got evaluated a few years ago for Cushings Disease. I even have the hump on the back of my neck / shoulders...........

The endocrinologist said she didn't think I have it. The next endocrinologist I went to when I moved to Illinois said I may have it in a mild form.

I am also PCOS and diabetic.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    I got evaluated a few years ago for Cushings Disease. I even have the hump on the back of my neck / shoulders...........

The endocrinologist said she didn't think I have it. The next endocrinologist I went to when I moved to Illinois said I may have it in a mild form.

I had one endo say I didn't have it because it was rare. Makes no sense to me at all. Complete loss of logic on his part.

My new gp is somewhat open to it- we have to wait until Hubbs new insurance kicks in before I can get tested. If it comes up positive then it would be a pre-existing condition and not covered so we just have to wait for now.

I have striae, buffalo hump, ab/core fat, kidney stones, PCOS, Insulin resistance, moon face, hiritism, thinning hair, joint pain... the list goes on lol. Even with all this it's a huge fight just to get someone to listen.

I'm having a lot of issues right now with exercising. It raises cortisol so I gain weight exponentially if I work out more than once a week. It's infuriating. I WANT to work out. I love weight lifting, walking and swimming. I feel like half of my life has been cut off.

Sorry, just venting.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I had one endo say I didn't have it because it was rare. Makes no sense to me at all. Complete loss of logic on his part.

My new gp is somewhat open to it- we have to wait until Hubbs new insurance kicks in before I can get tested. If it comes up positive then it would be a pre-existing condition and not covered so we just have to wait for now.

I have striae, buffalo hump, ab/core fat, kidney stones, PCOS, Insulin resistance, moon face, hiritism, thinning hair, joint pain... the list goes on lol. Even with all this it's a huge fight just to get someone to listen.

I'm having a lot of issues right now with exercising. It raises cortisol so I gain weight exponentially if I work out more than once a week. It's infuriating. I WANT to work out. I love weight lifting, walking and swimming. I feel like half of my life has been cut off.

Sorry, just venting.

Vent all you need to. I know first hand what it is like to be frustrated when Dr's seem to blow you off. I am so upset with mainstream medicine and Dr's because I went to 10 or 12 different doctors before finding one that would listen. I was told by one doctor that I was just fat and lazy and if I followed a 1000 calorie low fat diet and exercised that I would lose weight. I followed the plan as he prescribed to me and I gained more weight.

I actually have all the same symptoms that you have, except I am full blown diabetic instead of being insulin resistant, some are being alleviated since I have cut out all grains recently. Since giving up grains, I am no longer having joint pain. I also have lots of energy too.

I have decided to go through the natural route through low carbing and seeing a naturopathic doctor and a natural pharmacist. I am treating my disorders through natural eating, raw vitamins and amino acids prescribed to me by the naturopath.

I go to a naturopathic Dr that has given me amino acids that cut cortisol production so that I am able to exercise and lose weight at the same time.

If you want to vent privately, send me a PM.
  • gemiwing
    Options

Vent all you need to. I know first hand what it is like to be frustrated when Dr's seem to blow you off. I am so upset with mainstream medicine and Dr's because I went to 10 or 12 different doctors before finding one that would listen. I was told by one doctor that I was just fat and lazy and if I followed a 1000 calorie low fat diet and exercised that I would lose weight. I followed the plan as he prescribed to me and I gained more weight.

I actually have all the same symptoms that you have, except I am full blown diabetic instead of being insulin resistant, some are being alleviated since I have cut out all grains recently. Since giving up grains, I am no longer having joint pain. I also have lots of energy too.

I have decided to go through the natural route through low carbing and seeing a naturopathic doctor and a natural pharmacist. I am treating my disorders through natural eating, raw vitamins and amino acids prescribed to me by the naturopath.

I go to a naturopathic Dr that has given me amino acids that cut cortisol production so that I am able to exercise and lose weight at the same time.

If you want to vent privately, send me a PM.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I've been taking Soy Isoflavones, Vitamin C, Vitamin D to curb the cortisol. What are you taking? I'm still not able to exercise on what I'm on.

I've cut wheat almost completely out of my diet and it's helped with the swelling. Taking a while to get pasta and biscuits out. I'm a Southern Mountain girl- we looove our biscuits! lol Plus the wheat alternatives at Kroger's are amazingly expensive. The Bob's Red Mill? More like Bob's You-Better-Be-Rich Mill. :laugh:

I've started to lose inches again problem being they're all from my calves, neck and arms. Belly is still there... as always lol. The Metformin has helped me tremendously with that though. It's not quite the same 'shape' of fat as it was. Hubbs says it's slowly going down, yet I don't see it ... frustrating lol

Thanks again. I can't tell you how nice it is to have someone to talk to about this. I feel like a freak of nature. ((hugs))
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    For cortisol reduction, I take raw vitamins and amino acids prescribed to me by the naturopath. I get them from a natural pharmacist that does his own compounding. I also take amino acids that spark the production of human growth hormone at night and this has helped tremendously.

http://www.naturalmedapothecary.com/

Everything is tailor made, just for each person.

I have and still do feel like a freak of nature sometimes, but we are definitely not the only ones out there.