Skinny Fat?

Options
I keep seeing people say they are "skinny fat" or used to be "skinny fat" or want to be "skinny fat." What does that even mean? I thought skinny was skinny and fat was fat. LOL.

I'm new here, so forgive the ignorance.

Replies

• Liss416
    Liss416 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My interpretation is that someone appears to be thin, but lacks muscle tone/definition, so that they look good in clothing, but flabby in a bathing suit.
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    Skinny-fat is being in the "healthy" weight range or even being underweight, but still having a high body fat percentage. It's called normal-weight obesity.
  • doulanik
    doulanik Posts: 84
    Options
    How does that even happen?
  • angeliqueib
    angeliqueib Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How does it happen...For me, I was always underweight (think just skin &bones) until I got pregnant with my daughter. After I had her, I was a healthy weight but it was all baby fat weight. I joined a Zumba class, was nicely toned & in shape, but underweight again. My class was canceled and I stopped exercising...voila, skinny fat. I have had to really work to find an exercise routine and a healthy diet that works to keep my body in check. My body has changed so much and I can no longer eat what I want without consequences. If I don't make the effort to change my habits I end up how I was before I joined MFP...a healthy weight, looking ok in my clothes, but with too much fat in the belly & hips. My body fat % is now in the healthy range, but it has taken some work to get there
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    size2.jpg
  • BostonMatt
    BostonMatt Posts: 258
    Options
    How does that even happen?

It happens when your body composition is off. It happened to me when I lost a lot of weight. Part of my loss was muscle so the scale was going down but I wasnt losing all fat. I was skinny by still had a lot of fat.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    I think I was skinny fat??? I weighed in at 163lbs at one point with a BF% of 17. I had people telling me I was `too skinny' but I knew deep down that I still had a fair bit of flabby stuff around my midriff. One of the issues I think is that I overdid the cardio and lost quite a fair bit of muscle in the process.
  • everet36
    everet36 Posts: 39
    Options
    Skinny-fat is being in the "healthy" weight range or even being underweight, but still having a high body fat percentage. It's called normal-weight obesity.
    LMAO!!!!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Think Nicole Ritchie. Or me a year ago. Skinny-fat is so gross. I hated my body when I was there.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Now to add to my depression, I'm horrified because I think that describes me.

Sigh. Time to get away from the computer, shut up the whiny voice, and just do a lot of yoga.

A. lot. of yoga.
  • annafreeman24
    annafreeman24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Think that describes me too! I'm 5 7' and weight 132lbs but still carrying a lot of fat around my hips and upper thighs. I'm doing sit ups and stretches and walk a lot. Is it just a matter of time beform my body becomes more defined or do I need to change something in my weightloss plan?
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Think that describes me too! I'm 5 7' and weight 132lbs but still carrying a lot of fat around my hips and upper thighs. I'm doing sit ups and stretches and walk a lot. Is it just a matter of time beform my body becomes more defined or do I need to change something in my weightloss plan?

Walking is just burning calories which means weight loss. Sit-ups aren't going to do anything but focus on a few muscles and while stretching is great, it doesn't build muscles! I'd focus on workouts that include squats, lunges, push-ups, planks and other exercises that are considered "strength training." Building muscle will give you the right curves, lower your body fat, and help with other issues like bone mass!
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    LMAO!!!!

I fail to see the humor... it's an actual medical condition. :huh:
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    That sounds like me when I was at a healthy weight. Scale said I was good, but I had a horrible pot belly that would not go away. Hopefully loosing weight this time around, I won't be left with the big belly again and a scale that says I'm just the right weight.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I know several smokers who are quite unhealthy, yet their weight is "normal".
  • zoiielou
    zoiielou Posts: 3
    Options
    I hate the words skinny and fat. I'd rather be healthy than labelled either skinny or fat. Its ridiculous.
  • joannafarrer
    Options
    LMAO!!!!

I fail to see the humor... it's an actual medical condition. :huh:

It can also be dangerous. Some skinny people (usually undernourished people - a study in India, for example, showed up a lot of people with this) have little visible fat, but register high on body fat percentage. In this case the fat is in their arteries and around their heart. Far more worrying than any fat you can see. Strength training to build lean muscle and eating plenty of the right foods, while doing enough cardio to keep your heart and lungs fit is so important. Remember, you can be undernourished by eating lots of the wrong foods, not just be not having enough food.
  • rochellerafter
    rochellerafter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Basically, you need to combine a healthy diet along side cardio and strength training. What annoys me about this site is that it bases achievement on weight loss . However, if you are combining strength training for muscle definition and tone you will notice weight gain. Muscle weighs 3 x more than fat.

I use this site to of course count calories, however, I resent putting my weight in here as it is not a clear reflection of my hardwork.

Rant over :)
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's generally used to describe someone that is at a healthy BMI, but their body composition (lean muscle mass & body fat %) is not the greatest. This all depends on the individual and their goals though. Sometimes people just focus on the number on the scale, and don't care what their body is actually made up of - fat, muscle, water etc.
    If it doesn't bother you, don't worry.
    FOR ME, I want to have a higher muscle mass than fat (for a number of reasons) and aren't too concerned about the number showing on the scale. I also want to be one of those buff looking woman that outlift the men :smile:
  • sophieford1
    Options

Walking is just burning calories which means weight loss. Sit-ups aren't going to do anything but focus on a few muscles and while stretching is great, it doesn't build muscles! I'd focus on workouts that include squats, lunges, push-ups, planks and other exercises that are considered "strength training." Building muscle will give you the right curves, lower your body fat, and help with other issues like bone mass!

I find that walking on a high gradient at the gym burns calories, but tones muscle more as you are working different muscles to be able to walk uphill! Cardio exercise normally burns fat more than produces muscle.