Why can't I run??

Options
I've always wanted to be a runner, not for weight loss reasons more for a healthy lifestyle (and because runners look so cool).

Today I completed week 1 day 2 of the C25k programme and although I knew it would be tough I had no idea how damn painful it would be. I'm fine with fast walking but when I run I get terrible pains in my shins and I'm not talking about after 10-15 minutes, I mean straight away! Every time my foot hits the treadmill the pain shoots through my leg.

To top it all my balance isn't great so I'm in constant fear of swan diving off the back of the treadmill.

Any advice from runners out there or should I quit while I'm ahead and find a new challenge?

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you can run outside? The treadmill takes getting used to and i've often seen people have a lot of trouble adjusting to it. Its possible you could be landing hard and messing with your stride because you're not comfortable running on a moving belt.
  • jerilph
    jerilph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have tried C25K twice and I never get past the first week because of it. I was realistic in thinking I was so out of shape I would probably have to do each week twice before progressing but I can't take the pain, I also get pain in my feet and I am wearing good shoes that I went to a specialty store to have them look and how I walk and measure my feet. So I am interested in hearing what runers have to say. I have tried on a treadmill and outside.
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It might have something to do with your running form. I used to get terrible shin splints (that pain shooting up your shin when you land) because I landed wrong in my stride. Here's a few tips:

1. Make sure your back is straight, your shoulders are low and relaxed, and your arms are swinging back and forth, not across your body.

2. Keep your strides short for long distance, you don't need to lift your knees too high to be effective. When you land, your foot should land directly under your body, not in front of you or behind you.

3. Try to land on the full back of your foot- between the heel and balls of your feet. Roll your foot forward and push off with the ball of your foot and your toes. If you are landing hard, that will hurt your shins. Land light, roll forward, spring off. Don't just land and lift. Your calf muscle will feel it, but your shins shouldn't be hurting. :)

I suggest taking it slow and practicing form before moving on. It really does make a HUGE difference in avoiding injury and pain. Also remember that you are developing muscles you haven't used as much previously, so soreness is to be expected. Pain in the shins shouldn't be happening though, so take it easy if that occurs.

Best of luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd suggesting finding a running store that will look at your running form/feet/body. They can make a recommendation about the right shoe for you.
    (for me it was minimalist brooks)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to be a runner, not for weight loss reasons more for a healthy lifestyle (and because runners look so cool).

Today I completed week 1 day 2 of the C25k programme and although I knew it would be tough I had no idea how damn painful it would be. I'm fine with fast walking but when I run I get terrible pains in my shins and I'm not talking about after 10-15 minutes, I mean straight away! Every time my foot hits the treadmill the pain shoots through my leg.

To top it all my balance isn't great so I'm in constant fear of swan diving off the back of the treadmill.

Any advice from runners out there or should I quit while I'm ahead and find a new challenge?

LOL - you wouldn't say that if you saw me running!

I'm with Victoria4321 - the answer may be to get off the treadmill and get outside. Walk at a natural pace first and gradually speed it up, you may just be going too fast which could explain the shin splints. (An aside - get yourself a good pair of runners that fit you well, if you've got a running specialty shop close to you pay them a visit, try to avoid the big box stores)

When I stared running I could barely go around the block without feeling like I was going to die. I started off by walking 10 minutes and then (very slowly) running 1 minute, then walking 9 minutes and running 2 until I could actually run 10 minutes and then take 1 minute walking breaks. Fro there I buit it up and just over 2 weeks ago ran my 3rd half marathon.

The keys to success are:

Patience - most running injuries are caused by trying to do too much, too soon to fast. Increase times / distance gradually and don't worry about being slow. Your first goal is to build endurance and fitness, you're not trying out for the Olympic team (yet).

Consistency - exercise / running has to become part of your routine, get out there 3 or 4 times per week. No excuses

Variety - cross train on days you're not walking / running. It can be strength training (which compliments the running), biking, swimming - your choice

Attitude - failure is not an option, it may take you a while to get to your goals (see # 1) and you may have setbacks but never give up. Everyone, even elite athletes, will have crappy days and crappy workouts - shrug them off, tomorrow is a new day.

Best of luck!
  • Suzeebeetee
    Suzeebeetee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There may be a couple of possibilities. I agree with Jennalink807 about your running form. The only other thing about the running form that I want to add: make sure you are not landing on your heel. That will definitely cause shin splints. Land on your mid foot as JennaLink807 explained.

Also I would invest shoes. Go to a good running shoe store (like Fleet Feet) and have them put you through their fitting process. (Other athletic shoe store who have not been trained with fitting for running shoes are not able to do this). This is very important.

In the meantime it will take a little bit of time for your shins to heal. Use R-I-C-E, which means R = rest, I = ice, C = compression, E = elevation. The most important thing is icing - like 20 minutes at a time.

Hope this helps
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Here's an excellent animation on running form:
    http://www.newtonrunning.com/run-better/optimal-running-form

Definitely try to land on the ball of the foot with the heel just touching down slightly afterward. A heel strike can cause all kinds of problems from runner's knee to shin splints to IT band injuries...

Edited to add: and ice those shins... and start slower maybe?
  • hannz33
    hannz33 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    woah i have the exact same thing! i just posted this: haha

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/631250-running-questions-from-a-non-runner
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    woah i have the exact same thing! i just posted this: haha

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/631250-running-questions-from-a-non-runner

Ha-ha spooky
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Other thing to remember, running may just not suit you. I tried to start running, but I really messed my knees. After 4-5 attempts (changing things every time to try to protect my knees) my Doctor was like "maybe you should pick something different...".

I'm not saying don't give it a go. I am saying if it doesn't work out, don't beat yourself up.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Who knew running could be so complicated!

Thanks for all the great advice guys, looks like I need to go back to square one. Definitely going to give all your tips a try and if I slow it down a bit I know I'll get there in the end :flowerforyou: