Low-Carb vs. Low-Fat Eating plans?

Options
2»

Replies

• 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think you are best off learning about nutrition yourself, getting some good books and seeing what works best for you.
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just double up your protein intake, in doing so it will make you feel fuller therefore you will only eat about half the carbs/fat :)

true story! ^
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It took me some time to figure out what was the best for myself. I eat high fiber and high protein, and let the fat fall were it falls. I do my best to make sure I eat clean, with the occasional treat. This a life long process and life happens. The way I eat now I will be able to do from here on out.

I want to be fit, healthy, and strong!
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Neither... I'm vegetarian and try to eat a healthy, balanced diet of protein, carbs and healthy fats (avocado, seeds, nuts, olive oil in moderation etc.) I try not to eat white, processed carbs e.g. no cakes, white bread, white pasta etc. Instead I have rye bread, quinoa, small quantities of wholewheat flour in homemade vegan cookies etc. I mostly choose low fat dairy products and avoid "empty calories" from sugary drinks and sweets and other such things that have next to no nutritional benefit other than being high in sugar and calories! I eat very little processed foods and mostly cook everything from scratch. Works for me, and is something I know I can keep up for life!
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!! We've almost all done either a Low-Carb or Low-fat diet, and maybe currently are!! I've juggled between both of them, giving both of them trial periods, but I've never stuck with either. I need to though, so I want your opinions on which eating plan worked for you!!!

Why can't you do a moderate carb and fat diet, why does it have to be either or?

Apparently the universe can only count to 2.
  • knockout3737
    knockout3737 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    40% Protein 40% Carbs 20% Fats is the usual ratio but you can change up a little for your own goals. You could also go with 50% Protein 30% Carbs 20% Fats. You would be better off lowering carbs than fats, there are plenty of healthy fats you could eat. Lowering carbs works best, but stick to complex carbs (wheat bread/pasta) (brown rice, sweet potato or yams). Stay away from the white stuff if you're looking to lose weight/shed fat cause those are simple carbs and you don't want that in your diet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    40% Protein 40% Carbs 20% Fats is the usual ratio but you can change up a little for your own goals. You could also go with 50% Protein 30% Carbs 20% Fats. You would be better off lowering carbs than fats, there are plenty of healthy fats you could eat. Lowering carbs works best, but stick to complex carbs (wheat bread/pasta) (brown rice, sweet potato or yams). Stay away from the white stuff if you're looking to lose weight/shed fat cause those are simple carbs and you don't want that in your diet.

On a calorific deficit, how does the 'white stuff' impact your weight loss differently than complex carbs?
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    40% protein, 40% carb and 20% fat got me thru the last 18 months with a 179lb loss.

This is my goal plan, but I'm still experimenting. Right now I' at 35% protein, 35% carb and 30% fat and I am not having any trouble finding good things to eat. Soon I'll try to lower the fat and up the other two a bit.
  • josyjozy
    Options

On a calorific deficit, how does the 'white stuff' impact your weight loss differently than complex carbs?

I'm only guessing, but I think the complex carbs take longer to digest and don't spike your insulin. Also, they keep you full longer, I think.
  • rodmac733
    rodmac733 Posts: 1
    Options
    High protein, high fat and high carbs for me! The key is to get the protien from any source as long as the fat content is of the healthy fats and get tons of carbs from ALL natural sources like fruits and veggies. Absolutely stay away from any and all processed carbs!!! Our bodies aren't able to properply motabolize processed foods from any source. Natural meat products and fruits and veggies are what our bodies were designed to use.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I'm only guessing, but I think the complex carbs take longer to digest and don't spike your insulin. Also, they keep you full longer, I think.

But I supposed I am still confused as how that impacts weight loss directly.
  • josyjozy
    Options

Well the first thing that comes to mind is if you feel full for a longer period of time, you would eat less.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Well the first thing that comes to mind is if you feel full for a longer period of time, you would eat less.

That is an indirect impact - not a direct impact.