Help! Stay healthy when around cakes n food at work

Options
Hey I'm finding it really difficult to eat healthily when I'm always surrounded by cakes slices pastries and all kinds of delicious foods at work 5 times a week 8 hrs a day :///// i always seem to gain more weight when im back at work :( Any tips

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you will want to practice "mindfulness"

before you just take a slice and start eating, take a minute and think about what it really means to put that cake or whatever in your mouth. learn how many exercise minutes a slice of cake takes to work off. learn what, if any benefit there might be to eating it. think about how you wont be able to have much else to eat that day if you are staying within your calories.

after all that, if you decide it is worth the momentary pleasure of some sugar on your tongue, go for it. If not, have a glass of water and think about how you are in control, and smile.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the cake. Make sure you bring some pre-determined food with you. If you're hungry, you will be more likely to cave.
  • amylynn96
    amylynn96 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    oh i know that feeling...i worked in a publix bakery a few months back, even when i got so sick of the sweet stuff id still find myself swiping some bread and eating it in the back. I no longer work there so its much easier not being around it but...just think of it as a challenge just because its there doesnt mean you have to eat it. When that rather large person comes along wanting a dozen doughnuts just do your job and feel better about yourself for being more responsible and caring about yourself...and dont try to banish sweets it angers the body lol.....moderation is key :)
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Won't you get canned if you eat the cake? I would think that would be sufficient motivation not to eat it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you've eat less than 1,100 calories on the days you've logged food for the last week. some days it's less than 800 calories.

have a slice of cake please.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    you've eat less than 1,100 calories on the days you've logged food for the last week. some days it's less than 800 calories.

:heart:
  • wordynerd76
    Options

:heart:

Ditto! It's okay to eat the sweet stuff - just do so in moderation. And remember that if you're eating less than your recommended daily caloric intake, you could end up sabotaging your diet. Eating too few calories makes your body go into starvation mode and then it refuses to burn the calories.
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    Its very hard. I love doughnuts and am perty good about not digging in them when somebody brings them. But people do get pissed when after about 2 hours i throw whats left in the garbage. If they put them in the break room I never see them (but still smell them) But people insist on putting them by the coffee pot. I just eat my oatmeal and remember the good old days when I would eat 4.
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    That works. Also...I do this... sometimes ^^

*Sometimes I leave before the gathering, say I had something important to do, ok, not everyone can leave work randomly I know
    *When there's going to be a cake I eat something first, like a salad, or whatever not unhealthy thing, and drink lots of water so I won't really have a taste for more just right before the hour the gathering will take place.
    *You can also do this. Take your piece of cake, and say you are working in something so you take it with you to your desk, eat some but drink a lot of water too and try eat very little, or, just hide it from sight, and take it home to somebody or, sad, but throw it away...

That's what i try but I'll like to read more about what other do :)
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Oh yea I know what you mean. There are potlucks at my job once a month and every holiday time so what I do is contribute healthy alternatives such as fresh fruit plates or veggie apps. Get creative! I learned how to cook by changing what I eat. Example: Crispy baked sweet potato chips and spinach and goat cheese stuffed bell peppers. I am a meat eater so I add lean meats to everything but like I said be creative. I also drink a gallon of water a day which keeps me satiated.