Anyone gotten off their meds thanks to weight loss?

BrendaLee
BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I take a few medications that I would rather not have to take- a fluid pill for high blood pressure, Losec for reflux...has anyone been able to get off of medications thanks to their weight loss?

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Usta be on meds for asthma, acid reflux, stomach ulcers, high blood pressure and migraines.

Since I became serious about weight loss, health(ier) eating, and exercising, I have come off ALL those meds!! I was 24 and on 7 pills a day!! Now I take one by choice (birth control).
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Yep.

I am no where near being finished with my weight loss, but I no longer take high blood pressure meds, water pill, or diabetes medications.
  • BrendaLee
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Usta be on meds for asthma, acid reflux, stomach ulcers, high blood pressure and migraines.

Since I became serious about weight loss, health(ier) eating, and exercising, I have come off ALL those meds!! I was 24 and on 7 pills a day!! Now I take one by choice (birth control).

That is awesome! I forgot about my inhaler. Funny, I have all of those conditions you mentioned aside from the stomach ulcers.
  • BrendaLee
    Yep.

I am no where near being finished with my weight loss, but I no longer take high blood pressure meds, water pill, or diabetes medications.

I particularly hate taking the fluid pills- Now that I'm getting older, I worry about drying my skin out.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

That is awesome! I forgot about my inhaler. Funny, I have all of those conditions you mentioned aside from the stomach ulcers.

They are all tied together.
    When you have asthma issues, the stomach flares up (or vice versa, I can't remember).
    I still carry my rescue inhaler but RARELY use it. I'm talking maybe once a year.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to see if I can come off my blood pressure meds. I know I can, but I'm not stopping them on my own. I used to eat a bottle of TUMS a week, I have not had one in 4.5 months. Eating right and exercise is really a total life change.
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Used to have headaches and heartburn all the time. Been almost 7 or 8 mos. since I've opened my bottle of Tums and rarely get headaches anymore.

I attribute that to my weight loss!:smile:
  • a373073
    a373073 Posts: 3 Member
    YES!!! My cardiologist cut one of my meds in half after I lost 25 lbs. He told me I would never get off this particular med, so it was really cool when he cut the dose down.

stacey
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Yes times 4! My three blood pressure meds and my zocor are now history! My last one, metformin, has been cut in half, and my doctor expects that I'll be off of that one, too, by the time I reach my goal. I have another set of blood work next month, and it could be the end of the line for that one, too! I hope so!
  • BrendaLee
    I consider these to be some of the biggest success stories when it comes to weight loss. :smile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    I consider these to be some of the biggest success stories when it comes to weight loss. :smile:

When you focus on the health aspect, it puts into perspective the "only losing a pound a week" garbage. Who cares how many pounds you lose when suddenly your body starts to act right and heal itself? Bringing my bp down and no longer having ulcer/stomach acid issues, as well as my asthma decreasing in severity, has been worth ALL the work I've done!!! And the added bonus: the new hot bod! :laugh:
  • bakergirl62
    bakergirl62 Posts: 248 Member
    I was taken off High Blood Pressure Medication, High Cholesterol medication and my osteoporosis medication. Since I have been working out, I have rebuilt my bone density to normal levels. :happy:
  • ME TOO!!

Was prescribed Lipitor for my way high cholestrol and now I'm off.
    Going back in a few weeks to check my levels again and hopefully I stay off!!!

Good luck!!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    I totaly agree, it so much more than looking good.
    I wasn't on any kind of medicines like that. But I have endometriosis and I would cramp so bad it was unbearable. I was suppose to get a hysterectomy. Well when the dr told me that was the only cure I said I wanted to lose some weight so my recovery wouldn't be as bad after the surgery. After the first 20 pounds I lost the cramps were cut in half. Now I don't cramp at all. There will be no hysterectomy for me. Now don't get me wrong I still get the TOM cramps that most women get but as soon as I exercise they are gone.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

When you focus on the health aspect, it puts into perspective the "only losing a pound a week" garbage. Who cares how many pounds you lose when suddenly your body starts to act right and heal itself? Bringing my bp down and no longer having ulcer/stomach acid issues, as well as my asthma decreasing in severity, has been worth ALL the work I've done!!! And the added bonus: the new hot bod! :laugh:

It is also true that the most significant health improvements tend to occur with the first 10% of weight lost. From a health standpoint, the first 10lbs you lose are a lot more important than the last 10.
This discussion has been closed.