Help Wanted: "Going Greek"

Options
KarmaxKitty
KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
I was never planning on joining a sorority, and simply accepted my automatic filement under "GDI"...

But now I've found a multicultural sorority that I'd like to join, and from what I've seen they're the exact opposite of everything people have shown me/ said about a sorority. Their creed and pillars match my morals eerily well. So I'm planning on attending rush next year.

But does anyone have information about HOW this works and/or where I go from here?

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I'll be no help, but I will bump the thread for you, my dear.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Thanks PAAAAAAAAL. :)
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'd find someone already in the sorority and ask for advice. Much of Greek life or sorority/fraternity acceptance is who you know, so try to get to know some people. Best of luck! I'm pro-Greek life!
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    I've been trying, but I've only spent a year at this uni so I don't know many people... And most of the people in my real life are hardcore anti greek and can't understand why I could possibly want to join. I'm still going to try though. :(
  • macpatti
    Options
    Do they have a website where you can contact them? Do as much research as you can on the sorority. If they're active, they should have a website with activities they do and you should be able to find a way to contact someone.

If you need more help, send me info in a PM with the name of your school and the name of the sorority. I'll see what research I can do to help you find out. I'm familar with the process, so I'll help you. Don't worry about your friends who are anti-Greek; join if you feel it's a good fit for you. You'll only know that by attending some of their events and speaking to others in the sorority.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    It's a rather small sorority, so I believe I've done all I can, but thank you! There's so much to learn. Thank goodness for google. I'm going to see if I can email one of the chairs tomorrow. :)
  • kerriberry74
    kerriberry74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Knowing someone who is all ready a member is always helpful.... Granted, it's been a while since I was in school (the 1st time around) there's generally not much to it... usually you'll go to the rush events, meet people. The members will go over the applicants and decide on those who they would like to be a part of the organization. Pretty easy for the most part, although waiting to find out whether you're accepted can be a bit nerve wracking. Hope this helped a little bit at least. Good luck
  • macpatti
    Options
    . I'm going to see if I can email one of the chairs tomorrow. :)

There ya go!
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    Generally schools have a "rush week" where you go through the process of learning about the different sororities or frats. See if your uni has this. At my school, USF, it is a requirement to participate in rush week in order to join a greek organization.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Generally schools have a "rush week" where you go through the process of learning about the different sororities or frats. See if your uni has this. At my school, USF, it is a requirement to participate in rush week in order to join a greek organization.

Thanks for this! I didn't know it could be a requirement!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was going to be about something COMPLETELY different.
  • Genericwit
    Genericwit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's all about rush week. Or that's my experience, anyway. Both schools I've gone to (large state schools) had a rush week, and I didn't really have to try to hard to get information about it. Do you have a student union building where you go? If so, there's probably a student life area where there are tons of fliers with information about rushing. And there's probably some members of student government there to help you along.

I know when I was in student government, rushing was the number one reason I got friend requested on facebook. And I had contact info for every officially affiliated student organization/greek on campus.

So, I'm going to recommend:

1) student union building
    2) facebook (because everyyyyyyyyyyyy greek organization has a page, just about)
    3) student government/greek life contact (either a student or an adviser)

And give all of them a chance. Yeah, there are some nasty sororities/frats, but most of them will surprise you. I went into my rush week as a freshman expecting to join one, and I wound up joining another. Just sayin'. It happens.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options

What did you think it would be about? I can't think of anything other than Meditereanean food. :laugh:
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Yeah, it's all about rush week. Or that's my experience, anyway. Both schools I've gone to (large state schools) had a rush week, and I didn't really have to try to hard to get information about it. Do you have a student union building where you go? If so, there's probably a student life area where there are tons of fliers with information about rushing. And there's probably some members of student government there to help you along.

I know when I was in student government, rushing was the number one reason I got friend requested on facebook. And I had contact info for every officially affiliated student organization/greek on campus.

So, I'm going to recommend:

1) student union building
    2) facebook (because everyyyyyyyyyyyy greek organization has a page, just about)
    3) student government/greek life contact (either a student or an adviser)

And give all of them a chance. Yeah, there are some nasty sororities/frats, but most of them will surprise you. I went into my rush week as a freshman expecting to join one, and I wound up joining another. Just sayin'. It happens.

I'm going to be a Junior in the fall so I'm a little awkward about doing this! Thank you for the information. I never thought about using the Student Union building for anything other than lunch... They never tell us anything us about that building. :blushing:
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I suggest posting something in the Casual Encounters section of Craigslist, inquiring about "Going Greek".
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Glad it wasn't just me.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know anything about Going Greek ..... but I'm totally in for the keggers.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I suggest posting something in the Casual Encounters section of Craigslist, inquiring about "Going Greek".

This
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options

lol...me too. I thought we would be talking about Greek yogart. Sorry, I don't know much about sororities.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If you already know you want to pledge that sorority and don't want to test the waters looking at others there may be no reason to do formal rush. Go to the house in the fall and ask them if you can pledge with the fall class. Or, if you already know a sister in the sorority talk to her about it and she'll have you come in and meet with some of the other sisters to discuss pledging. I did rush, but some of my friends knew which sorority they wanted to pledge and didn't do rush, just interviewed with some of the sisters before pledge week started.