What do you use to saute stuff

Options

Replies

• elifmemis
    elifmemis Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been roasting my vegetables in the oven on a cookie sheet with no stick cooking spray. Tonight I roasted arugula and tomato and kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Ina Garten does this often but with loads of oil...I modify her recipes with 1 TB of oil and cooking spray. Good Luck!
  • beccaboo0713
    Options
    1 tbsp of olive oil and a nonstick pan. You don't need that much oil to saute things.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    3 tablespoons? That's a lot for the tiny amount of food you mentioned. I use a no stick pan and have a Misto spray. So instead of using something like Pam, which can totally ruin a no stick pan I just use the Misto (filled with olive oil) and it works great to give a little of the taste and make sure it keeps things from sticking.

Exactly what I was thinking. I use one of those sprayers as well. Godsend.
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    When I started dieting I measured out 2-3 tablespoons, then reduced it to 1 tablespoon, now I've reduced it to 1 teaspoon. Honestly, it works just as well (for 1-2 persons worth of food).
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Saute the garlic in just 1 or 2 tsp oil and then use cooking spray when you add in everything else.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    in this situation, I would advise you to not worry so much about the calories. EVOO has a lot of good fat, and if you are scared of the calories, maybe you should not be sauteeing.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Prefer oil for most things

But I use water all the time. I find the trick is a very hot pan with minimal water just to steam. Too much water is essentially just boiling it.

I often add garlic near the end ( although a lot of recipes call for garlic first) or add ginger or whatever.

You could marinate the vegatables in a tiny bit of olive oil and crushed garlic for a day or so. I find this helps the oil distribute over the vegatables more evenly and you don't have to use as much.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    If I am building a flavor base and plan on adding other things I often use water.

Have you ever cooked Indian food? They make the flavors in layers and it is a whole other level of cooking and flavoring. Like if you are making a masala you melt a tablespoon of butter (can use coconut oil) then you add all your dry spices and make a paste. You cook that for a bit, add water and then use that to saute. Completely different than cooking onion in a fat and then adding seasoning to it.
  • Goldrusher
    Goldrusher Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A little water and then toward the end I use CRISO BUTTER SPRAY... MAn it taste so much better than the Pam butter spray, taste like real butter...no comparison !!!!!
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil, coconut oil, or butter :)
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Use a wok. You need way WAY less oil.
  • Jflowwers
    Jflowwers Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love olive oil and use it everyday. One tablespoon is enough, but what I found when I Saute is to stay at medium heat ..finish with medium low. The higher heat evaporates the oil faster. Also, the potatoes are going to soak up most of the oil... why not roast the potatoes, saute everything else and then add them in end?
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    3 tbsp is a lot of oil. I use about 1 tbsp of good olive oil and a really good non-stick pan.
  • southernpurplevegan
    southernpurplevegan Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use a couple things to saute food in which is Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Coconut Butter , and Earth Balance.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Olive or coconut oil, depending on what I'm making and how high the heat will get. I use a seasoned cast iron pan, which is quite nonstick for sauteing, or an enameled cast iron if I plan to deglaze at some point.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is awesome, and I also use a lot of lemon and garlic. I'm a big fan of Tamari instead of Soy sauce as well, for a stir-fry style meal. Adding some Tamari, minced garlic, and just a little honey is AMAZING with some stir fry veggies and chicken!
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Get a really good non-stick pan and a rubber spatula. I don't use any oil with a great restaurant quality pan and the rubber spatula won't scratch the surface. Make sure you hand wash the pan and I use paper towels between them to stack them so that they don't scratch.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I find that 1 teaspoon of olive oil goes a LONG way (and it's only 40 calories per.)
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    3 tablespoons? That's a lot for the tiny amount of food you mentioned. I use a no stick pan and have a Misto spray. So instead of using something like Pam, which can totally ruin a no stick pan I just use the Misto (filled with olive oil) and it works great to give a little of the taste and make sure it keeps things from sticking.

^^^^This! Love my Misto spray!!