Declining heart rate

paulkj
paulkj Posts: 163 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been noticing that the more I exercise the harder it is to get my heart rate up.

For example. In the begining of my exercise journey this time when my co-worker and I went out for our "lunchtime" walk I could easily get my heart rate up to the high 120's. Since then, I have been working out harder in the gym and now training for a 5K which means that I run about 3 times a week and increasingly upping my intensity and endurance by running faster and longer.

Today I went out for my "lunchtime" walk and noticed that the highest my heart rate got up to was 115 before it began to decline. I have picked up the pace, but that's as high as it would go.

I have also noticed that other workouts that I do, I don't burn as many calories as I did in the beginning.

By the way, I do use a heart rate monitor w/ a chest strap.

Any clue as to why this happens??

Thanks!

Replies

• muimuimui
    muimuimui Posts: 113
    Your body is getting stronger, more efficient and has adapted to exercise that your body once thought of as strenuous.
    It's a good thing.

The next step is to up your workouts to bump your heart rate up accordingly.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Your heart and body are becoming a more efficient machine. That is the beauty and curse of it all. The more you do something the better you get at it, the better you are the less calories you will burn. I am having the same issue. The best thing to do is to change up your routine. Walk some hills, add in some sprints, do some jumping jacks. :smile:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Congrads.

Exactly what mui and debnu1 said.
    Your body is becoming more efficient.
  • paulkj
    Thanks for your responses!!!

The next question is, is it beneficial for the lunch time walks?? I still burn calories, not alot, but some.
  • That is the "training effect"!

It means PROGRESS - your heart is becoming more efficient. I don't know if you recorded it before you started your workout program, but I'm sure you will find that your resting heartrate is now lower than it was at the beginning too.

Your lunchtime walk may have to become a lunchtime RUN.

My max heartrate on a workout was typically 171 or 172 a few weeks ago, now working out with just as much intensity I am lucky to get it to 166.

Also, as your muscles get more and more used to particular movements, your calorie burn will drop. This means it's time to start looking for other types of exercises (swimming, biking, etc) and/or increase the exercise intensity. I highly recommend "HIIT" or interval training.
  • thumper44
    Thanks for your responses!!!

The next question is, is it beneficial for the lunch time walks?? I still burn calories, not alot, but some.

If you don't want to get sweaty at lunch time, then a walk is better than sitting somewhere doing nothing.
  • paulkj

My max heartrate on a workout was typically 171 or 172 a few weeks ago, now working out with just as much intensity I am lucky to get it to 166.

I noticed this last night at the gym!!
    I highly recommend "HIIT" or interval training.

And I just started doing this.
  • Me too! It's good, but frustrating. On the elliptical @ used to "cardio" program & my goal HR was 152. I could reach that within 5 mins & maintain it. About a week ago I hopped on & after 10 mins I noticed the machines intensity (resistance) increasing. Within a few mins it got to the point where I couldn't pedal fast enough to keep the machine from pausing. That's when I looked at HRM & I was at 130. The machine was upping the resistamce to get my HR to 152. ARGHHHH! I had to switch to manual mode to finish because I just couldn't get my HR up enough. While annoying I guess it's a good thing. Also, no clue what my resting HR used to be, but now it's around 70.
  • paulkj
    If you don't want to get sweaty at lunch time, then a walk is better than sitting somewhere doing nothing.

This is true. Plus it's nice to get out and move around and get some fresh air since I sit at a desk all day.
  • thumper44

This is true. Plus it's nice to get out and move around and get some fresh air since I sit at a desk all day.

Exactly, we need to get out, enjoy the fresh air.
    For lunch you could increase your distance. Obviously your walk has probably decreased in time.
    Perhaps try and tighten abs while walking.
    30 secs on 30 secs off, or something similiar.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Me too! It's good, but frustrating. On the elliptical @ used to "cardio" program & my goal HR was 152. I could reach that within 5 mins & maintain it. About a week ago I hopped on & after 10 mins I noticed the machines intensity (resistance) increasing. Within a few mins it got to the point where I couldn't pedal fast enough to keep the machine from pausing. That's when I looked at HRM & I was at 130. The machine was upping the resistamce to get my HR to 152. ARGHHHH! I had to switch to manual mode to finish because I just couldn't get my HR up enough. While annoying I guess it's a good thing. Also, no clue what my resting HR used to be, but now it's around 70.

If this is the case, keep it on manual and do interval training on the elliptical. I don't have the link anymore but I found one that changed it by about 5 levels in this order: Warm up - about 4-5 mins, then 1 minute up, 1 down, 2 up, 2 down, 4 up, for down, 6 up, 6 down or something like that. I only usually have 30 minutes so I do a 4 minute warm up. I think it goes further up the time but I adapted it to my timing.

As you find the higher level of the interval gets easier, or the HR doesn't rise as high, change the total of the two intervals - e.g. if you started on level 6 and hit 11 for your higher, then go to 7 and 12 or something like that. Right now, I start on level 14 or 15 and go to 19 or 20 depending on how the machine is behaving.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    I've noticed my resting heart rate has decreased about 10 beats per minute...I was excited about it because I know I am getting fit!! You should be proud that your heart rate has gone down too :) even though you can't burn as many calories it's a good sign!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I love that I have to work so hard for my HR!! I remember my 1st week at the gym.......spiked 180 climbing the 2 flights of stairs to GET to the exercise machines!! :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Good job! Keep up the good work!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    What about carrying weights as you walk? Getting your arms involved more could increase your heart rate some. Or you could put weights on your ankles to add more resistance.
  • paulkj
    What about carrying weights as you walk? Getting your arms involved more could increase your heart rate some. Or you could put weights on your ankles to add more resistance.

Never though of that. Great idea.
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Me too! It's good, but frustrating. On the elliptical @ used to "cardio" program & my goal HR was 152. I could reach that within 5 mins & maintain it. About a week ago I hopped on & after 10 mins I noticed the machines intensity (resistance) increasing. Within a few mins it got to the point where I couldn't pedal fast enough to keep the machine from pausing. That's when I looked at HRM & I was at 130. The machine was upping the resistamce to get my HR to 152. ARGHHHH! I had to switch to manual mode to finish because I just couldn't get my HR up enough. While annoying I guess it's a good thing. Also, no clue what my resting HR used to be, but now it's around 70.

If this is the case, keep it on manual and do interval training on the elliptical. I don't have the link anymore but I found one that changed it by about 5 levels in this order: Warm up - about 4-5 mins, then 1 minute up, 1 down, 2 up, 2 down, 4 up, for down, 6 up, 6 down or something like that. I only usually have 30 minutes so I do a 4 minute warm up. I think it goes further up the time but I adapted it to my timing.

As you find the higher level of the interval gets easier, or the HR doesn't rise as high, change the total of the two intervals - e.g. if you started on level 6 and hit 11 for your higher, then go to 7 and 12 or something like that. Right now, I start on level 14 or 15 and go to 19 or 20 depending on how the machine is behaving.

Slieber - your kitty picture is just too cute. I want to reach out and snuggle him/her.:tongue:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Thanks. It's not my kitty - found it on the net and thought it was appropriate to the forum. :laugh:

I like the two puppies snuggling that Paulkj has!
  • paulkj
    I found mine on the net too!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    I was just telling my husband the same thing when we were leaving the gym the other day. I didn't understand why it took longer to get my hear rate up, that's when he told me that I have to work harder now that my body is getting use to it. I guess it's time to up the incline or level.:cry:
This discussion has been closed.