Anyone else rinse their hamburger?

Options
13»

Replies

• jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I rinse all meat prior to cooking (you should hear what is on that stuff esp. chicken) and I rinse ground beef as a rule to get rid of the excess fat for sure.

I log it as ground beef but don't alter or change what is in the database. I figure it's better to overestimate my calories/fat and if it's a little under, bonus for me!

Happy rinsing!
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    Just to clarify, I only rinse ground meat that is being made into a dish like spaghetti sauce, tacos, etc. I do not rinse a hamburger patty that's going to be eaten as a hamburger.

Yep! Same with me! I just started doing it, and I just wanted some insight but many of you are being all uptight about it. I rinsed my hamburger last night with the spaghetti I made and then with the tacos I made last week and they both turned out very tasty and delicious. I can't afford the extra 3 dollars a pound for organic lean beef like some of you can. I am on an extreme budget right now so I was trying to figure out ways to make things healthier until I am out of this slump. Maybe I'll just buy lean ground turkey instead for now. Thanks for the replies!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I buy 80/20 Fresh Ground Beef from my Butcher. Going to have meat do it right. Just lower the amount you'll eat of it or get creative. I mix chopped onion with the ground beef. Works great.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Rinsing meat??? urdoinitwrong!

fork over the extra 20c a pound for a leaner grade, mince it yourself or switch meats. Don't waste the glorious flavour for the sake of a couple of grams of fat!

Fat is really misunderstood and even a moderate amount of saturated (animal) fat is fine within the context of a healthy diet. I'm shuddering to think how you must prepare steak! :laugh:

Exactly, the fat is where all the flavor is in meat. Fat is not your enemy as much as the established diet guidelines say otherwise. You're just wasting the meat. You might as well cook the meat, throw it in the trash and drink a glass of water...this whole topic makes me sad :sad:
  • jhswope
    jhswope Posts: 1
    Options
    Find a local grower. You can pay roughly $2.00/lb for beef. This includes steaks and hamburger. You should take it to a local processor and then you can tell them how you want it cut and packaged. We get very lean ground beef and tightly trimmed steaks. You just need to find someone and put your money in the hands of the local grower and processor rather than a huge conglomerate like ConAgra.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    If you look up "Ground Beef Rinsed" in the database, there are several options based on the % of fat and if it is drained or rinsed. I know that just because it's in the database doesn't make it gospel, but it's probably close enough.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    A Tablespoon of meat dripping is 100 - 135 calories. Subtract from the high fat content ground meat calories.

or

Just weigh your ground beef after the fat has been drained and use the calories listed under "Extra-Lean" ground beef.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    i rinse my "meat" every night after work.........for dinner of course hehehe:tongue::wink:
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    :)
  • xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options
    Oh get off your high horse, youve obviously made the same mistakes as others at one point or another or you wouldnt be here.

Just to comment on this, not everyone is on here because they're overweight... I use this site to count my macros and calories because it's more efficient than writing everything down, and I'm in great shape...
  • michspor
    michspor Posts: 57
    Options
    Yes that is a great idea with the Foreman... i need to start using mine more... just a pain to clean it.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Oh get off your high horse, youve obviously made the same mistakes as others at one point or another or you wouldnt be here.

Just to comment on this, not everyone is on here because they're overweight... I use this site to count my macros and calories because it's more efficient than writing everything down, and I'm in great shape...

I know, though I have a ticker, I dont 'need' to lose weight, im concentrating on leaning up, and making sure I eat right.

The poster however was overweight, and is always posting (on other threads and here) harsh and not very helpful comments. Theres no need to be overly hard on people when theyre in the same boat as you. :)