Too much protein?

Options
I am 5' and 192 pounds. I take in on average 130g of protein a day. Is there a point to where it is too much protein? What is that limit if there is one? What would happen if you eat too much protein in your dient?

Replies

• xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options
    I am 5' and 192 pounds. I take in on average 130g of protein a day. Is there a point to where it is too much protein? What is that limit if there is one? What would happen if you eat too much protein in your dient?

Don't worry about over-consumption of protein, bodybuilders eat 100 grams of protein in one protein shake alone so you getting 130 a day is not even close to over doing it. A lot of people recommend 1g of protein per pound of body weight, ideally though around .7g is more than enough per pound of body weight. At 130g a day you're right around where you should be at for your daily consumption, I'd say add another 20g and you're at a perfect amount for yourself.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    I was wondering about this also. A friend's dad had to severly limit his protein consumption because of his kidneys. Providing you don't have a kidney problem, are there signs that your body is getting too much protein?

I have been researching protein powders. I just want one occasionally, for convience. I eat a healthy diet and get my protein from cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, almonds, peanut butter, lean meats, string cheese and eggs mainly. I just wouldn't want to put too much stress on any organs and not know it.

I also read that you excrete the exess protein your body can't use. I don't know if this is true or not, but I don't want to waste my money on quality food if my body can't use it. Greek yogurt isn't cheap.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    From a nurses standpoint, unless you have kidney problems, there is no such thing. I personally shoot for more than 100 G of protein and less than 100G of Carbs. Read that somewhere, seemed reasonable to me, and easy enough. And it works. Actually, it got me out of a plateau. I agree with xTwK response too, The more you ST, the more protein you will need
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this also. A friend's dad had to severly limit his protein consumption because of his kidneys. Providing you don't have a kidney problem, are there signs that your body is getting too much protein?

Source

Department of Physiological Chemistry, Institute of Physical Education and Kinesiotherapy, Free University of Brussels, Belgium.

Abstract

Excess protein and amino acid intake have been recognized as hazardous potential implications for kidney function, leading to progressive impairment of this organ. It has been suggested in the literature, without clear evidence, that high protein intake by athletes has no harmful consequences on renal function. This study investigated body-builders (BB) and other well-trained athletes (OA) with high and medium protein intake, respectively, in order to shed light on this issue. The athletes underwent a 7-day nutrition record analysis as well as blood sample and urine collection to determine the potential renal consequences of a high protein intake. The data revealed that despite higher plasma concentration of uric acid and calcium, Group BB had renal clearances of creatinine, urea, and albumin that were within the normal range. The nitrogen balance for both groups became positive when daily protein intake exceeded 1.26 g.kg but there were no correlations between protein intake and creatinine clearance, albumin excretion rate, and calcium excretion rate. To conclude, it appears that protein intake under 2. 8 g.kg does not impair renal function in well-trained athletes as indicated by the measures of renal function used in this study

PMID: 10722779 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]