Insanity Questions

Options
embclark
embclark Posts: 186 Member
So I have been doing EA Sports Active 2 on my Wii since January, 5 days a week atleast 30 minutes a day. . . PLUS I finished the 30 Day Shred a few weeks ago. And now I am almost halfway through 6 Weeks 6 Pack Abs. I work out about an hour 5 days a week. Sometimes i throw in a half hour on my 2 "off days". So I am starting to look into what's next. . . I hear a lot of good stuff about Insanity, but it seems pretty intense! So my questions are:

1) What can you compare it to, so I can have an idea what I am getting into?

2) How much time do I need to set aside each day?

3) Is this 7 days a week?

4) Do people lose more inches or pounds? Are you building more muscle or losing pounds?

5) What types of exercises did you do prior to Insanity to build up to it? (I'm just not sure I am physically ready for it. . .)

6) Anything else I need to know?

Thank you!

Replies

• embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • lauraleighoyler
    Options
    I can't compare it to anything. My husband and I did it last year to get ready for our wedding. it takes several weeks to build up the stamina necessary to get through a day's workout without taking a break. But I've also never done anything that takes off the weight so fast! And I LOVED my shape. Its worth the effort, but just know going in it will take you some time to be able to get through the entire workouts without breaks. My best advice is to take longer than 30 days if you need to to get through Level 1, be forgiving of yourself, and keep at it!

Level 1 is 6 days a week, around 40 minutes a workout. One day is a "recovery" day where the workout is mostly yoga style. Level 2 is around an hour, but still 6 days a week.

you are losing pounds and inches. You will tone muscle more than build it. Good luck!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I did it for a little while. It's been a while since I've done it though so I don't remember everything. I'm not sure what to compare it to...lots of crazy cardio. I think it's around 40 minutes a workout. I think it's 6 days a week, so one rest day. There's a lot of jogging in place at high speeds, high knees, jumping, push ups. You could search YouTube, there are tons of videos of people doing it.

Insanity wasn't for me, too much impact...but it might have been ok if I were in better shape. I enjoy circuit training more, I like working with weights with cardio added to it. Do a web search for Supreme 90 Day. It's similar in style to P90X but it's only $20.
  • vtgirl77
    vtgirl77 Posts: 69
    Options
    I love Insanity. I can't compare it to anything else, it's...insane. I completed a round of P90X prior, but also dove right in. I lost inches and gained lean muscle. The first month is roughly 40-45 minutes a day, the second a little longer.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try P90x or Turbofire before Insanity if you are concerned about the level of intensity
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    So I have been doing EA Sports Active 2 on my Wii since January, 5 days a week atleast 30 minutes a day. . . PLUS I finished the 30 Day Shred a few weeks ago. And now I am almost halfway through 6 Weeks 6 Pack Abs. I work out about an hour 5 days a week. Sometimes i throw in a half hour on my 2 "off days". So I am starting to look into what's next. . . I hear a lot of good stuff about Insanity, but it seems pretty intense! So my questions are:

2) How much time do I need to set aside each day?

4) Do people lose more inches or pounds? Are you building more muscle or losing pounds?

5) What types of exercises did you do prior to Insanity to build up to it? (I'm just not sure I am physically ready for it. . .)

Thank you!

1- I was not physically active before starting Insanity, so I don't have anything to compare it to.
    2- 45-60 minutes a day is probably a good average. The workouts get longer in the 2nd month.
    3- No, not 7 days. 6 days a week with 1 rest day. 1 workout per week is a recovery.
    4- I was in poor health when I started Insanity. I have lost weight and inches. I have also began building muscle and toning a bit.
    5- Ha! None. Literally. A couple of years ago I trained for a half marathon, got a stress fracture a week before the race and was told by doc not to run. That was the spring of 08. Since then nothing.
    6- You get out of it what you put into it. It is crazy. If you decide to do it take your time at first. You are "given" breaks during the workouts, but if you need more take them.

Hope these help. Feel free to add me if you have any other questions.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I just started INSANITY on Monday-it is super intense HIIT (today is day 4 and I am still sore)

lots of plyometrics (jumping) and mostly high impact. With very short "REST" periods.

I did 30 day shred-then moved to circuit training online with Jillian Michaels. Same concept just more circuits.

INSANITY is 6 days a week each workout is about 40 minutes. One RECOVERY day where you do mostly plank work and stretching (Yoga style)

I am in very good physical shape-just ran a half marathon, and this workout is VERY difficult!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I did 30 Day Shred, followed by Ripped in 30 and then went onto Insanity....which is really hard.

I would say compared to Shred/Ripped it's about 5 times faster and incredibly intense, when I first started Insanity I spent alot of time saying to myself "this is insane" lol! The first month of Insanity workouts are about 45 mins long, the second month they increase to an hour.

I don't think I've yet managed to get throught a whole workout without having an extra break other than the 30 second ones Shaun gives you. You do it 6 days a week, 1 day is 'recovery' which so doesn't feel like recovery! There's also a recovery week after the first month is done.

As hard as it is, you will be surprised how quickly you are able to achieve more everday, it gave me great results, I wasn't looking to lose weight as I was at maintenance but I still lost 3 lbs!

Hope that helps a bit.
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I tried Insanity but have to admit did not finish the series. It was a bit repetitive for me and VERY high intensity. Here's my input:

2) How much time do I need to set aside each day? Less than an hour, probably closer to 45 mins.

3) Is this 7 days a week? It's only 6 days. See: http://theinsaneworkoutprogram.com/about-insanity/insanity-workout-schedule/

4) Do people lose more inches or pounds? Are you building more muscle or losing pounds? You will lose pounds and inches. Don't see how you could gain any mass with this level of intensity.

5) What types of exercises did you do prior to Insanity to build up to it? (I'm just not sure I am physically ready for it. . .) I did P90X before trying Insanity. Since then I have completed another round of P90X and 1 round of P90X2. Currently working thru Tapout XT. I would say Insanity is a higher level interval / cardio workout than all of these.

6) Anything else I need to know? Be relatively in shape before starting and take the fitness test before committing to it. There are MANY other programs to help you reach your goals if Insanity is not right for you.
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    1) What can you compare it to, so I can have an idea what I am getting into? Its like a bootcamp you would take at a gym.

2) How much time do I need to set aside each day? Month 1 is about 40 minutes each. Month 2 workouts are an hour.

3) Is this 7 days a week? 6 days on with one day being lighter than the rest and 1 full rest day.

4) Do people lose more inches or pounds? Muscle build? I lost a decent amount of both. Most say mostly inches. Don't think you will build much muscle as its a ton of cardio. Mostly for leaning out and gaining endurance.

5) What types of exercises did you do prior to Insanity to build up to it? (I'm just not sure I am physically ready for it. . .) I ran occasionally and did weight training 3 days a week. I had come off ACL surgery just a yr before and had a hard time gettin back to the form I was in before surgery. With the exercises you said you have done, I'm sure you will be fine physically for it. Just gotta do it as hard as "you" can do. Don't follow them if you can't and little by little you will get better.

6) Anything else I need to know? Its a great workout and you may not "see" the results you want physically but once you are done and go back to your old routine is where you will notice the results. I ran a mile in under 8 minutes the other day. I completed it 3 weeks ago. Before surgery the best I ever got was maybe 9 to 10 minute mile and then I was done. Well I did two 8 min miles. The endurance you gain is amazing!

Hope that helps.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    1) What can you compare it to, so I can have an idea what I am getting into? - it is like a way more intense version of any cardio program you have ever done. if you'd done jillian michaels, this is more intense than that. it is like running every day i would say.

2) How much time do I need to set aside each day? in the beginning the month 1 workouts are 35-48 minutes; the month 2 workouts are 47-59 minutes

no, you get a rest day

4) Do people lose more inches or pounds? Are you building more muscle or losing pounds? as far as me i gained weight. i gained muscle and probably some fat. but my measurements stayed the same. but my diet wasn't great, i was eating clsoe to 2000 a day. they have a nutrition guide that can help you figure out this. dont' go too low on calories though or, from what i've heard, you won't lose weight somehow. aim for about the middle, i'd say for me i shoudl ahve been on about 1700 calories if i really wanted to lose but i didn't know that and insanity makes you hungry!!!

5) What types of exercises did you do prior to Insanity to build up to it? (I'm just not sure I am physically ready for it. . .) jillian michaels, kickboxing, strength. no one is ever really 'ready" for insanity, you just do it and get through. i didn't feel "ready" for 4 months but then i just did it and completed it. you shoudl be in fairly good shape but don't get frustrated if you struggle and first because no one is going into it and smiling and happy and not sweating. it is just intense no matter what shape your'e in.

just do it! if you can't handle it after a few weeks, then you've given it a fair shot. i'd say give it a few weeks before deciding if it's for you.
  • joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Finished Insanity about a month ago. It is the most intense workout on DVD I've seen. If you push yourself you will be drenched even after the warm up.

The first month runs about 45 mins while month two turns up the number of circuits and runs around an hour.

6 days a week, I prefered to do it first thing in the morning to start my day.

If your're in decent shape and do what you can do it should'nt be too bad. I will note there are several plyometric moves so if you have joint issues you may have to modify.

I'm 48 and got through it fine however I'm a former Marine and have done P90X for awhile so the intensity factor was familiar territory. I'm in the middle of a P90X/Insanity hybrid currently.

As with any progarm your results will be dependent on your nutrition. Eat at a deficit and you will drop weight/inches

They do have a 30day money back offer so try it and see if it's for you. No harm no foul..
  • RMCoffey
    RMCoffey Posts: 27
    Options
    Insanity was the first at home program I ever did. It definitely lives up to its name. I was NOT in shape at all and had done nothing to prepare for it. It is super high intensity that you will lose pounds and inches with. It took me 3 weeks before I could finish the warmup without a break. You'll be suprised how much more you can do week to week if you just stick with it. Follow the program as it's layed out for you and you will be happy you survived :-)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first round, starting on my second:)

1) What can you compare it to, so I can have an idea what I am getting into? Hardcore sports training, I haven't worked this hard since soccer when I was younger.

2) How much time do I need to set aside each day? Month one and the recovery week are less than 45 minutes, month 2 is an hour

3) Is this 7 days a week? 6 days, one of which is recovery

4) Do people lose more inches or pounds? Are you building more muscle or losing pounds? I lost 12 pounds and 19 inches in my first round

5) What types of exercises did you do prior to Insanity to build up to it? (I'm just not sure I am physically ready for it. . .) I had started c25k, plus lifting heavy 4x a week, which I continued and still continue.

6) Anything else I need to know? Form and safety over speed! Shaun T keeps telling you this every single workout. Yes you want to work hard and keep pushing, but like anything else, if you are starting to compromise form, take a break.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did one round of Insanity beginning last August. We are on Day 5 of our second round today.

Before Insanity, I had really only done the 30 Day Shred (I never made it the 30 days) and started C2K5. I didn't think I was physically ready either but I made it through. I took breaks when I needed to and just tried my best.

I don't remember the exact pounds or inches lost but you could see the changes that my body made. And more importantly for me, I could feel it. During my 1st fit test, I couldn't even do 1 push-up jack. I am now up to 10.

Good luck!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to compare it to, it's the only workout DVD I do.
    Workouts are about 45 minutes the first month, about an hour the second month.
    It is 6 days a week
    Whether you lose inches or pounds depends on your diet.
    I didn't really do anything to prepare for it, I just dove in.
    Invest in a heart rate monitor if you don't have one. Take breaks when your heart rate gets too high and you should be fine.
  • Irishmoonwitch
    Options
    I love Insanity and can't wait until my doctor gives me the okay to start it again.

You just can't compare to other dvd workouts. It is just insane and crazy, but i enjoyed it.

As everyone has said the first month is only around 40-45 minutes. The second is about an hour.

Nope just 6 days a week, and don't be fooled by the recovery workout day, you still work your butt off.

I lost inches and lbs until I had to stop because I was pregnant and my obgyn would not allow me to do it while pregnant.

Right before non but I had done P90X a few times before, however insanity is way more intense. And when I can workout again I will do a round of insanity and then maybe make a hybrid when i reach my goal.

Definatey give it a shot, it does get easier as the weeks go by. However the second month is way more intense (Had just started it when found out i was pregnant) then the first month. So if you haven't mastered the first month or if you try the second and don't think you are ready do a second round of the first month.