New girl! Starting to run...tips?

Hey there,

I am looking to begin something to kickstart my weightloss and new lifestyle with eating healthy everyday. I have heard that running is a good way to clear your head, spend some time outdoors and also lose weight! I've never been much of a runner and most of the time I just feel like I am dragging my *kitten* around the block not doing anything for myself. Are there any runners out there who can give me some tips on getting started properly? How long should I be shooting for, how often should I run and are there any helpful pointers you can give me to be successful? Also, what is a healthy and energizing snack to have before a run?

I am going on a trip in October and I want to try and lost 40-50 lbs by that time-I know its a tough goal but I need to set my standards high or else I won't follow through.

Thanks!

Replies

• Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Hi I've been running since I joined the track team my freshman year in high school (over 12 years ago!) I've run sprints, hurdles, cross-country, 5ks, 10k's, half- marathons and a year and a half ago ran a full marathon :smile:

1. The first thing I would suggest is to make sure you have proper running shoes! I can't stress how important this is in preventing injuries and making running more enjoyable. I once choose a non running pair of tennis shoes in high school for running and had the worst shin splints, the following yr and every year since I have bought specific shoes for distance running and have never had shin splints again! most local runners or athletic shops can fit you for a good shoe that will meet your needs.

2. I find its most helpful to have a goal, other wise it's easy to get sidetracked. For example you could have a goal to run a certain distance like 3 miles, 5 miles, 10 miles... etc... and then slowly work at running a little more each week or you could choose to work on speed like you may want to run an 7 min mile or keep a 7 min/mile pace for a 5K race.... just depends on what you want your goal to be. One thing I enjoy is signing up and competing in local charity runs they usually range from 3.1 miles to half marathons (13.1mi) and then some are the full marathon(26.2 mi) or even ultra marathons (30+ miles!) These runs are fun, filled with a range of runners to walkers, from 10 year olds to 80 year olds and they really are a great way to find other runners in your area.

3. Once you have you goal try to find a training plan for it. Many times online sources will want $ for these plans but if you look you can usually find some guidelines. If you want to increase mileage you should generally run 2-4 times during the week (M-F) at your current distance - say if you're currently run 1-2 miles a day then run at that distance for the first week everyday to every other day and then on the weekends start to increase your mileage by 1 mile so on Saturday run 3 miles, rest Sunday and then the following week run 2-3 miles a day M-F and then 4 miles on Saturday, Rest Sunday, etc... *IMPORTANT* its is very important to rest after your long run the nest day! rest is one of the most important parts of training so don't forget that too!

4. Always remember to have fun! I love running because it is a time I can be outdoors and just have time to think and clear my head with no other distractions. I also love that with running I can change my scenery and run different routes each week to whatever suits my mood.

To address some of your specific questions:
    As far as how long/far I pretty much addressed that in #2 and 3 above but remember to try to run at least every other day, or about 3 times a week other wise you loss the progress that you made and it will always be like you're starting over, have a goal.. increasing distance is an easy one to start with, once you get to your goal distance then you might want to either increase your distance or try to work on your speed.

As far as eating... if you are trying to train (for a race or a goal) it is actually best to run first thing in the morning while you are glycogen depleted - this will help train your muscles for endurance. THEN immediately after running and perhaps after sucking down some water! one of the best after workout drinks for you is chocolate milk ... yes chocolate milk. Milk has proteins like fast digesting whey protein and slower digesting casein proteins that your muscles need right after a workout. Also the chocolate part has sugars that are quickly digested.
    *However, if you are competing that day or just have to eat before you run I recommend something small so it doesn't weigh you down, low in fat but high in protein and carbs. I like to have a protein bar like tigers milk or toast or if I'm competing I also like the endurance gels or chews they sell in sports stores. (be careful though.. some gels taste horrible)

Another helpful tool for me is Map my run app or mapmyrun.com website - It is by far the best free running app out there. You can map your run using a google powered map and it will tell you the distance and elevation you ran. Also the app on your phone will track your run as you go and record your time and calories burned. it will also keep track of your progress, has forums and if you want running training plans you can access them if you pay for a subscription of $6/month

I hope all this helps! believe it or not I have much more to say about running/jogging and would be happy to answer any more questions - which I will add I am by no means an expert.. just someone who has been running a long time!