Cod Liver Oil

Options
2»

Replies

• NelehY
    NelehY Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    There is a bit of a debate between which is best - Fish Oil or Cod Liver.
    I found this article very useful:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/fish-oil-vs-cod-liver-oil.html

I take Cod liver Oil (because I live in the UK....far from natural sunlight...)

I've found a significant improvement in the aches and pains in my finger joints
    and my skin seems to burn much less easily (on those rare occaisions when I'm exposed to it!)

My husband takes Cod Liver Oil and Glucosamine for his dodgey joints
    and when he stops taking it for any period of time he really notices a steady increase in pain again
    - so he swears by the two.

My question though is - Should I be including them in my daily calorie count??
  • little_princess
    little_princess Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    NSAIDS like aspirin and ibuprofen can't be used for more than one week in duration without increasing risk of developing stomach ulcers or cardiovascular complications. Tylenol can be used long term; however, the doses can be a bit high and using any other tylenol combo products is pretty much out of the question...daily tylenol needs to be less than 4g/day (for healthy individuals, elderly needs to be 2g or less/day).

Cod liver oil has anti-inflammatory properties (like NSAIDS/tylenol is anti-inflammatory but not to the same degree as NSAIDS) as well as fish oil; however, cod liver oil has the added benefit of vitamin D for bone health. Glucomsamine/MSM/Chondroitin combos can be expensive and might be a last line OTC to try.

Topical capsaicin is another good option for treating local irritation but keep in mind it takes about one week to start working. It basically distracts your body's response to pain

Thanks you!!xx
  • little_princess
    little_princess Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    There is a bit of a debate between which is best - Fish Oil or Cod Liver.
    I found this article very useful:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/fish-oil-vs-cod-liver-oil.html

I take Cod liver Oil (because I live in the UK....far from natural sunlight...)

I've found a significant improvement in the aches and pains in my finger joints
    and my skin seems to burn much less easily (on those rare occaisions when I'm exposed to it!)

My husband takes Cod Liver Oil and Glucosamine for his dodgey joints
    and when he stops taking it for any period of time he really notices a steady increas in pain again
    - so he swears by the two.

My question though is - Should I be including them in my daily calorie count??

Thanks!!

In answer to your question, I include my supplements in my food diary. The cod liver oil and daily vitimin do not have any calories :) But all the vitamins then show up in my percentages! I scan the bottles with my iphone, and it inputs it all, wihtout me having to enter any additional info! xx