What's best program which helped you to tone up?

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I've donloaded brazilian butt workout and it seemed too easy and a bit boring...any other programs which helped you tone up (especially legs)

please stop using "tone up" lol.

just get lifting girl. if you want "tone"...(actually you want more muscle and less fat) then you gotta get lifting.

i cant tell you how much good some heavy squatting will do for your legs and butt!
    we have girls in our gym who continue to improve these areas every month. and guess what, all they do it lift heavy.

Not sure why people have a problem with the word tone when it is a synonym for lean. If she said I really want to lean out would have a problem with it? That being said your advice is excellent.

The main issue I see here is that the people who use phrases like "tone up" often have absolutely no understanding about how all this stuff works. They simply put on a video, do it, and call it a day, or something else like that. So using that phrase is often seen as an indicator (although this is not always accurate) that you're dealing with someone who lacks even a basic fundamantal foundation of knowledge that they SHOULD have when hitting fitness like this. It typically comes from women who think that doing 875 reps with a pink 2 lb weight will get them lean, defined, and shred bodyfat and have a fear of "bulking up" when they start doing exercises that involve weights that don't come in pastel colors.
  • AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    by Stew Smith

Lose Fat, Build Muscles With Circuit Training

When the weather turns cold, I receive many emails discussing running in the cold weather, or alternative exercises you can do in the weight room that will also have a cardiovascular effect. Circuit training is one of the best ways to make a resistance and strength training workout that is also challenging for your heart and lungs.

This workout is a 20-minute workout that will take you to your maximum physical effort as well as your maximum heart rate. The object of this workout is not to rest in between exercises. You will see that one minute of a particular exercise will burn out the targeted muscle group as well as increase your heart rate to a fat and sugar burning zone. Try the 20 minute workout below - if it is not challenging enough for you try it again, totaling only 40 minutes of your time in the weight room.

20 Minutes Circuit Workout

(*choose light weights for max reps)

1) Bench press* or pushups - max in 1:00
    2) Squats - max in 1:00
    3) Pullups or pulldowns - 1:00
    4) Bike or jog - 3:00
    5) Military press* - 1:00
    6) Lunges - 1:00 each leg
    7) Bicep curls - 1:00
    8) Bike or jog - 3:00
    9) Tricep extensions.- 1:00
    10) Leg ext - 1:00 (requires leg machines - or repeat squats with weights)
    11) Leg curls - 1:00 (requires leg machines - or repeat lunges with weights)
    12) Situps - 2:00
    13) Crunches - 2:00
    14) Stretch

There is an unlimited number of ways to organize a circuit workout. The above workout is organized with upper body, lower body and cardiovascular exercises. By simply doing the above upper body and lower body exercises in such a way, you will be able to rest your upper body muscles while you workout your lower body muscles, but you will never rest your heart. This is how you make the circuit workout challenging to your cardiovascular system as well as your major muscle groups. Studies have shown that mixing a resistance training regimen with a cardiovascular element will increase your metabolism, therefore burning fat and building muscle. The result is a decrease in body fat percentage.

So, if you are looking to lose inches and body fat, workouts like this coupled with 4-5 smaller meals and 3-4 quarts of water everyday will help you achieve your goal. The best thing about this diet program is that you do not need a single dietary supplement - just good old fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish and other lean meats. The key is to burn more calories than you take in and this workout will help you with that - promise.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Oh, come on...Stop whining! You kids are soft. You lack discipline. Well, I've got news for you. You are mine now! You belong to me! No more complaining. No more "Mr. Kimble, I have to go the bathroom". Nothing! There is no bathroom!!!

:laugh: LOL! I was totally reading this in his voice too.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm curious. I often hear people talking on here about women 'lifting heavy'. For an average sized woman, what is 'heavy'? I mean in lbs or kilos, for free weights one in each hand say?

So many people swear by this, but I am totally clueless about what this would involve. My gym has some free weights in a corner, but the room with all the serious weights is just full of men who are serious about lifting. I would feel quite intimidated going in there.

Is it possible to still build muscle lifting the hand weights and doing things like bicep and tricep curls, and so on, or do you think that's a waste of time?

That's because "heavy" is relative.

If you are struggling to complete the last couple of reps in a set of under 10 reps, then that's heavy for you.

I'm doing Stronglifts and reading Starting Strength. The SL is based on a 5x5 (5 sets of 5 reps each). This is very challenging, but not at 10lbs, for example. (I'm up to 110 lbs on the squat).

If you are pushing yourself, then you're doing something to build strength. If you're always doing the same weight and the same number of reps, you're not pushing yourself.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hands-down, BodyRock TV: http://www.bodyrock.tv
    12 -30 minutes per day. INTENSE. Can be done at all levels (even REALLY beginner) and whips you into shape like you wouldn't believe.

Bodyrock is awesome. My before and after in my profile is the result of bodyrock. I suggest using the heaviest weight you can use for their exercises. I think the weight is what got me the result.

With that said, I had since added more weight training because I feel like I had plateaued with just bodyrock. Squats and deadlifts with heavy for you weights = nice perky butt.
  • lkarinal
    lkarinal Posts: 107
    Options
    Just do a hybrid of C25K/Butt Bible (available free in youtube) and you'll see great outstanding results. At least that's what I'm seeing now. and Im currently on week 3 of that hybrid
  • ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've donloaded brazilian butt workout and it seemed too easy and a bit boring...any other programs which helped you tone up (especially legs)

just get lifting girl. if you want "tone"...(actually you want more muscle and less fat) then you gotta get lifting.

i cant tell you how much good some heavy squatting will do for your legs and butt!
    we have girls in our gym who continue to improve these areas every month. and guess what, all they do it lift heavy.

Get it get it^^
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Chalean Extreme definitely helped much. Weighted reps gradually go higher, im lifting heavier and strengthening the muscles.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Not sure why people have a problem with the word tone when it is a synonym for lean. If she said I really want to lean out would have a problem with it? That being said your advice is excellent.

The main issue I see here is that the people who use phrases like "tone up" often have absolutely no understanding about how all this stuff works. They simply put on a video, do it, and call it a day, or something else like that. So using that phrase is often seen as an indicator (although this is not always accurate) that you're dealing with someone who lacks even a basic fundamantal foundation of knowledge that they SHOULD have when hitting fitness like this. It typically comes from women who think that doing 875 reps with a pink 2 lb weight will get them lean, defined, and shred bodyfat and have a fear of "bulking up" when they start doing exercises that involve weights that don't come in pastel colors.

ehhh, i started off with pastel weights, my "endurance" phase was definitely fueled by lifting moderate and high reps, when it comes to strengthening i started really low and 12lb "Pastel" weights were strenuous for me to pick up. Now i can left 25 lbs and squat 50, every persons body is different its just about learning when its time to move on...if i can do more than 12 reps in a set i know its time to go heavier.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    BUMPING THIS ONE!
  • fitnfancy80
    fitnfancy80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm curious. I often hear people talking on here about women 'lifting heavy'. For an average sized woman, what is 'heavy'? I mean in lbs or kilos, for free weights one in each hand say?

So many people swear by this, but I am totally clueless about what this would involve. My gym has some free weights in a corner, but the room with all the serious weights is just full of men who are serious about lifting. I would feel quite intimidated going in there.

Is it possible to still build muscle lifting the hand weights and doing things like bicep and tricep curls, and so on, or do you think that's a waste of time?

"Heavy" would be something you struggle to get 5-6 reps with.

Thanks i also was wondering the same thing.
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    Running and Insanity....and I aim to keep looking for others!
  • kymberlyjt
    kymberlyjt Posts: 13
    Options
    walking everywhere, i do about 2 hours a day walking to and from my 2 jobs - seems to work, then a cross trainer work out 4 or 5 times a week in the evening
  • kieva626
    kieva626 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Insanity and Jamie Easons 12 week Live fit trainer! Seriously, lifting has given me so much more tone than I have ever had!
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bumping!
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    Do a mix of weights/strength , yoga and running/elliptical. I always get great "tone" from this combo. Push yourself. Include lots of Lunges and squats in you strength training.
  • melbatoastrox
    Options
    Physique57 came super highly recommended from my food therapist who is admittedly a "workout snob" having been a ballerina & fitness instructor for years.

I have tried it yet, I just ordered it but thought I'd mention.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • cgillie
    cgillie Posts: 3
    Options
    30 day shred and Tracy Anderson! Plus classic free weights, I incorporate them into Bosu workouts. The Bosu is great because you're always having to stabilize; you can pretty much do anything with them- super versatile!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I have not ordered one. I have a couple videos I use in the winter for a bit of variety (a light cardio/pliates and latin dance). Other than that I use my 2 books, friends, and the internet to try lots of things to keep my body guessing. In general - lots (I mean lots) of walking, strength training,including circuit machines, free weights and floor work.