cheaper versions Nike + and strap

Options
Hi guys,

Im taking up running to keep fit as my gym membership ends at the end of july and hate paying a crazy amount to use a gym.

Can anyone recommend some gear which will help me :-
a. know my running pace
b. my calories burned
c. how far ive ran

Ive been looking into the nike equipment but its so expensive!

Anyone know some cheaper versions??

Thanks!

Rachael [:

Replies

• kmcnulty05
    kmcnulty05 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use an app on my phone called Runkeeper. It tracks your distance, pace, time and calories. It's free too!
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have used SportPal (GPS Sports Mapping) on 3 different platforms (Android, Blackberry, and now iPhone) and I really like it. I do a variety of activities so it's useful for me and it seems to be pretty accurate.
  • jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    Options
    I use the Nike+ GPS app on iPhone and really like it.
  • nanapapaof5
    nanapapaof5 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have the Nike+ that I use with my iphone. Works really good for me.
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    look up "running" on your app store, there is a bunch of free running apps that are good. i personally use "endomondo" but there are others such as "mapmyrun" and others that i can't remember off the top of my head.
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    do you need to buy any equipment for the nike+ GPS?
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

I don't think so for pure GPS. I use the sportband with the sensor, I know you can also use the sensor with the app, but those can be had relatively cheap. You might also need a pouch to attach it to your running shoe. Or, just check out Endomondo, MapMyRun, Runkeeper or Runtastic. They're all free and can log distance, pace, calories and show you maps of your runs. Good luck!! :)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I have the Nike+ sportwatch and absolutely LOVE it! That said, I believe Timex now has a gps hrm for around $100.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options

I don't think so for pure GPS. I use the sportband with the sensor, I know you can also use the sensor with the app, but those can be had relatively cheap. You might also need a pouch to attach it to your running shoe. Or, just check out Endomondo, MapMyRun, Runkeeper or Runtastic. They're all free and can log distance, pace, calories and show you maps of your runs. Good luck!! :)

Assuming you have a smartphone.....

I've used both the app and the sensor in my shoe. Either one works great. The sensor in my shoe was less than $20 but you also need an mp3 player to use it, too. I think I like the app on my phone the best because there's nothing extra to it....and it automatically logs my runs for me so I can review it later.

Using equipment to to run makes it fun for me however it really isn't necessary. More important are the shoes. Make sure you have yourself a good pair of running shoes.
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! Its a great help. [: