What do you Consider Actual Weight Loss vs Fluctuation?

Options

Replies

• Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If my weight goes down it's a loss.....if it goes up it's a fluctuation :bigsmile:

yup...thats me too lol. official weigh in date is friday but if its not down on friday, i'll keep weighing until it is :P
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but only record significant loss that shows up steadily (over 1lb for over a week).
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have started logging my weight anytime I step on the scale. One thing I notice for myself, its always 2lbs gain, and 1lb loss befdore the scale will stay.

For example, I have been between 167 and 169 for the past month, and I have a feeling starting this week I'll stay at 167....why becasue in the middle of the month (should I say 30day block) I got down to 166.

I am a slow loser. While some people on these boards really do lose 2lbs a week, I average about a .5lb to 1lb per week. And that's an Average, I have plenty of weeks where I will "Gain" weight.

Denise
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If .2 or .1 motivates a person to keep chuggin ahead then i congradulate. For some people the most miniscule loss is a victory. I support them. I will congradulate- loss is loss. I can tell you one thing, if every few days .2 or .1 adds up. fcol.:huh: :huh:
  • LizzCallahan
    LizzCallahan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just flat out take the lowest number I can get. I've got a wonky bathroom scale that will tell me my weight has changed 6 lbs. based on how I stand on it, but my inches are going steadily down with the pounds, so I just take the lowest and call myself happy. Also, I couldn't care less if someone congratulates me on a pound of weight loss, but I'd be pretty pissed if someone told me it didn't count.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    honeslty you can fluctuate daily up to a 1 lb or more depending on your body, I usually weigh myself daily for a couple a weeks to track my fluctuation just to get a rough estimate of if its just that or that I am actually losing weight.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My weight is coming off slowly (so far 6 pounds in 50 days...) so I record small losses to remind myself it's actually happening and it all adds up! It's also interesting to see my progress - some weeks I don't seem to lose any and then lose 2 pounds the next week.

I don't seem to fluctuate that much now that I'm eating about the same number of calories every day - there's no quick fluctuation up from a day of eating a big take away or a fluctuation down from eating very little anymore!
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I also never congratulate a loss of under a half pound. This may sound gross but you can poop and change your weight by that.

Some ppl have there goal set at a 1/2 lb a week...so under a lb the would be on track...I always log whatever the scale says on weigh in day no matter how small the lost of how big the gain
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    depending on your personality, I see nothing wrong with posting a 0.1 lb "loss", but that should imply that you are weighing frequently and also post 0.1 lb gains. In other words, as long as you aren't being selective with your weigh ins, its ok in my book.
  • ox45
    ox45 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to put in your weight without it automatically posting it on your wall? I like to weigh daily because I am a numbers nerd and like to have a daily record that I can use for future projects. I realize that we fluctuate day by day so it sometimes is annoying to see the same "loss" on my wall every other day as my weight fluctuates. I would like if only my true losses are posted.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to put in your weight without it automatically posting it on your wall? I like to weigh daily because I am a numbers nerd and like to have a daily record that I can use for future projects. I realize that we fluctuate day by day so it sometimes is annoying to see the same "loss" on my wall every other day as my weight fluctuates. I would like if only my true losses are posted.

The only way you can avoid that is by going to your wall and clicking on "remove" beside the entry to remove it from your wall. It only takes a couple of seconds to do that.

However, it will still show up on your ticker and that can't be avoided.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    I'll post whatever has happened, and yes, I've logged gains too. I feel like it helps keep me motivated. My graph of loss on this site looks like a heartbeat graph...up, down, up, down. Thankfully the overall trend is downward at least. :laugh:
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Under "Settings" - Automatic News Feed update settings - Uncheck the box about updating when you lose weight.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I won't bother to post anything less than a pound. I do see people who will post 0.2 pounds and even 0.1 pounds as losses. I don't feel we can be that accurate. For me that's maintaining and simply normal fluctuations.

I also never congratulate a loss of under a half pound. This may sound gross but you can poop and change your weight by that.

What's everyone else's thoughts?

I'm pretty much in line with you; + or - 1 lb is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things (unless it's the last pound before your goal weight :laugh: )

It always amazes me that people will complain about gaining 2oz or such. Are anyone's home scales that accurate?
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    During my weight loss period I weighed myself "for the record" at the same time, on the same day, and under the same conditions every week and recorded the number that came up - whatever it happened to be. This week's data point is no more and no less "actual" than last week's was, and the inevitable noise in the data has a way of averaging itself out over time. That's just as true for the weeks you exceed your goal as for the weeks you fall short of it.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My weight tends to fluctuate 2-5lbs per day so if I have three to four days in a row where it says one thing then I take that as a loss.

^^^This.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that people should do what works for them. If you stay on track by noting and posting a weight loss of .2 pounds, by all means, carry on, and I for one will congratulate you if I see the post. This is a tough and very individual journey, find what works for you and go with it, and if it stops working, change it up. I won't judge. How can I? I never know what will work for me from week to week.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    I do understand what you're saying but I never fluctuate- I weighed 120.8 every morning/every day for like 3 weeks.. then finally it moved to 120.6 and has stayed like that for a couple weeks,, It's disouraging to barely lose weight but b/c the scale finally moved and I never fluctuate I count that.. If my weight was a little different every day (my bf fluctuates 5 lbs a day) then I wouldn't record it unless I maintained that new weight every day for at least a week..

I tend to agree with what you are saying. It;s very rare, especially for women, to never have any weight fluctuations. If you know you don't, then that's a different story.... and you are amazingly lucky!!
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    I weigh in once a week officially, on Wednesday mornings. I record whatever it says, good or bad. And how snobbish of you to feel that a small loss is fake or insignificant.

For the record, it has nothing to do with being "snobbish". The FACTS are that scientifically speaking, if your scale will weight down to 0.01 pound, anything past the first place after the decimal IS insignificant and can not be considered accurate. If your scale weighs to the first decimal place (the tenths of a pound), then that figure is insignificant. I didn't choose this word. This IS the scientific term.

If you would like to do some more name calling because you don't understand my post, I will gladly further explain this to you. ;)