trying to lose with Hypothyroidisim

Options
2»

Replies

• mamnboston
    mamnboston Posts: 81
    Options
    Hate to sound like a broken record but if you don't take your meds you will not lose weight, I was diagnosed two years ago and take my meds every morning on an empty stomach like all the MFP's that have chimed in on this thread and guess what? I lost 15 pounds so please take your meds, is so important. What ever made you think you would gain weight from the meds? They help you lose weight if in fact you are hypo. Take care
  • CNParker
    CNParker Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Obviously take your meds. There are long term effects from not treating thyroid problems. Secondly build muscle,don't be afraid of the weights. I've been dealing with hashimoto's disease since I was 7 so that gives me about 20 yrs experience with drs, meds, and weight problems. If you have any question don't hesitate to ask.
  • shatteredangel
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and am on quite a high dose of thyroxine, I had gained 2.5 stone (35lbs) before being diagnosed (also due to a pregnancy). Before my thyroid stopped working properly, I found losing weight easy by following a low fat diet and controlling calories. I have had weeks since diagnosis where I have eaten 1200 calories a day and put ON weight, I don't think people really understand the impact this condition can have, it was quite upsetting that friends could easily lose a few pounds a week eating more than I was eating yet I was still gaining weight. My confidence has taken a nose dive.

It's crucial to take the meds and have regular blood tests, for some people it isn't as simple as 'take the meds, get better', sometimes your levels continue to fluctuate and your dosage needs to be altered. Losing weight when the condition is totally under control shouldn't be more difficult, but it's getting the condition under control that has proven problematic for me.
  • Amisha136
    Amisha136 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It can be dangerous not to take medicine... consider taking Armour thyroid, which is natural, and should work well to help you get healthy again including with weight loss...
  • Amisha136
    Amisha136 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Soy can hinder absorption of thyroid medicine. Try to avoid it in the mornings after taking your medicine, and in moderation, soy is OK.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've had hypothyroidism for over 18 years. Take your medicine and EXERCISE.
  • SimplyMeghan
    SimplyMeghan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. Its such a small dose so I thought maybe it wasnt really affecting it. I have made a drs appt to get my blood work done again and talk with my doctor.