Breakfast...

Options
I'm a new mom and having a hard time getting myself to eat breakfast in the morning. I know this is counterproductive to the diet. Any tips to make this easier for me? I'm not wanting to do cereal, so please don't give that tip...

Replies

• tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Don't just eat breakfast type foods. Eat anything you like to eat, fancy a poached egg, have one, toast, cold pizza, Eating breakfast (or not) is just a habit, one that you can break.
  • JBuck1914
    JBuck1914 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, omelette (with veggies and sausages or turkey, or any lean meat), fruit and a protein shake. Grits, cream of wheat.
  • drowsymama
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea, but I can't step away from the baby long enough to poach an egg.... I'm hoping for tips to make breakfast an easier accomplishment. Like for my coffee in the morning, I load the coffee pot the night before so all I have to do is flip a switch. Breakfast doesn't seem that simple, know what I mean?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Fruit. Nothing but good ol' fashioned fruit.
  • drowsymama
    Options
    You're right. Fruit is a great idea! Why didn't I think of that? I can probably put some fresh fruit on my night stand so I can get breakfast while the gettin's good (ya know, those five minutes when the baby is passed out and I'm awake. lol)
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Check out Hungry girl recipes... great tips for making eggs in the microwave, called egg mugs.. .so many varieties and so easy!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with fresh fruit, and I've heard of some putting dry oatmeal in it the night before, softens up by morning in the yogurt - then you could just grab it and eat? Scrambled eggs are quick, or fix hot cereal in the microwave - I put mine (oatmeal, not eggs) in a big measuring cup (keeps it from boiling over) and push 2 minutes and walk away. You could keep an eye on baby, give the cereal a stir and go another 2 minutes, and breakfast is ready!
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    yogurt granola
  • drowsymama
    Options
    Yogurt is another great idea. Never heard of uncooked oats going in it... and I'm a huge fan of greek yogurt. Tomorrow is shopping day. I'll plan accordingly. Thanks everyone! Baby is asleep, it's 10:16 my time... time for a late breakfast.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I always keep english muffins on hand. They work great with PB or an egg. I make my eggs ahead of time, that way all I have to do is reheat. Hard boiled eggs are also great and can be prepared ahead of time. If I am in a total rush I make a Slim Fast shake. I pair all of the above with some fruit and coffee.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry or it's an inconvenience to eat breakfast, don't eat it.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Can you pop things into a blender to make a smoothie?

One thing I used to do and still do from time to time when I have no time to make breakfast is the night before I will put eggs in a container. Add in a touch of milk and mix up. Than add a few veggies and a bit of cheese. Put the lid on. In the morning I take it out, take off the lid and pop it into the microave for a few minutes. Quick and easy breakfast.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Get a baby carrier/sling. You can't stop eating because you have a baby, especially if you are nursing. I cooked an entire Thanksgiving dinner with a 6 month old on my back in an ergo carrier.....newborns obviously can't get propped on your back, but shop around and you'll find something comfortable/appropriate for your little one. Or make some eggs and stuff at night so that it can easily be re-heated. There are recipes for making eggs in single serving cupcake tins etc on here. Or just grab a protein bar, ready made smoothies etc.
  • bbateman123
    bbateman123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I usually have a bowl of cereal/milk, PB&J on wheat toast and fruit in a bowl (strawberry, kiwi, blueberry, banana). With a glass of juice (OJ, Apple, or Pineapple)

I also swap out the cereal & PBJ with a turkey sausage, egg white and cheese flatbread (the hungry girl ones).
  • MolKatsMom
    MolKatsMom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl has AWESOME egg mug recipes! Super simple way to make an "omelet" in a mug in the microwave. Quickest way to enjoy a protein/fiber filled meal in the a.m.!
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hard boil eggs and cut up some fruit at the beginning of the week.

In the AM you can have an egg and fruit salad (could even add some yogurt!)

Quick, easy, convenient.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Another idea...

If you have a free 30 mins or so (maybe when the little one is napping) crack about 8 eggs into a bowl. Add some milk and mix. Pour into a muffin tin (or cake pan) and than sprinkle veggies into each part (you can add ham, chicken, cheese, etc too) and bake in the oven until set. You can than portion and freeze the "muffins". Pull out of the freezer and microave or pop in the oven for a few minutes. So easy!

You can also scramble a bunch of eggs and cook a few pieces of bacon when you have a minute. Put in the fridge and than put some into a tortilla and microave for a breakfast burrito. So easy as well!

Cereal and oatmeal are also easy.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    what I do sometimes is mix my eggs with what ever I want (bell peppers, chopped onion, tomatoe, etc.) then pour them in a muffin pan (not to much just enought to do like a buscuit size) then throw them in the oven for like 10-15 minutes. After they cool down I throw them in ziplock bags and in the fridge and just heat in microwave in morning place in muffin add half slice of cheese and ready to go!
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea, but I can't step away from the baby long enough to poach an egg.... I'm hoping for tips to make breakfast an easier accomplishment. Like for my coffee in the morning, I load the coffee pot the night before so all I have to do is flip a switch. Breakfast doesn't seem that simple, know what I mean?

Why can't you step away from the baby? Do you have a swing or a bouncer seat? Pull it close to the kitchen and eat, woman! Very important for you to make sure you're eating well otherwise it's going to hurt you later... it's not easy staying up with the baby or having lots of patience if your body is not getting what it needs.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    boil eggs the night before....Kashi Cereal