Lifting to lose and tone :)

Options
Was just wondering what everyone did as far as lifting and strength training? I'm thinking of introducing some heavier lifting to help shape my body and thought you guys could let me in on your secrets or what programmes you use, books you've read etc etc!

Thanks muchly :happy:

Replies

• ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you are a beginner start with something simple such as starting strength or if you aren't well versed on strength training I would suggest following a machine circuit at your gym.

Whichever you choose, each workout try to either increase the weight or increase the reps. - Kind of like a video game...beat your high score!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength or new rules for lifting for women. Take your pick.

Principle is same in all starter programs. Big heavy weight for few reps, compound movements and linear progression.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you are a beginner start with something simple such as starting strength or if you aren't well versed on strength training I would suggest following a machine circuit at your gym.

Whichever you choose, each workout try to either increase the weight or increase the reps. - Kind of like a video game...beat your high score!
    I thoroughly believe weight machines are among the closest approximations our reality has to a devil. :happy:
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I would start out light and see what you can do and then go from their, starting out and lifting heavy is a recipe for injury. You can only do what your muscles limit you too
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I started long ago with NROLFW. Since then, I've kind of wandered off on my own. My workout schedule is posted to my blog. :)
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has options and no they are not all for guys trying to bulk up. LOL. The articles and videos can at least give you ideas to get started.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you're comfortable with weights, definitely go with something based on compound lifts. Starting strength and strong lifts are great programs that anyone can do.

Compound lifts are where it's at, yo.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I started long ago with NROLFW. Since then, I've kind of wandered off on my own.

Same here.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I started long ago with NROLFW. Since then, I've kind of wandered off on my own.

Same here.

Ditto x 3. Get the book!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    NROL is a great intro. I'm a reformed cardio junkie on stage 3. It's taught me what kind of lifts to do, how to recover, ways to fuel muscle growth, etc. (granted, I've done a lot of other research outside of the book, but the book was a great jumping off point.)

Lift heavy. If you are conscientious and listen to your body you won't hurt yourself. Plus, you'll LOVE what it does to your body's form and function.