Nutrient Paranoia, or What Should One Eat?

Options
fjrandol
fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
Cannot for the life of me figure out exactly what it is that I am supposed to be eating. One place says high protein, another says that's bad for you. Eat grass fed meat, only eat lean meat, eat no meat, avoid wheat, avoid corn, eat only whole foods. Don't use low-cal/fat foods, drink whole milk, don't drink milk, yadda yadda. I can't even figure out how my ratios should be set for fat/carb/protein.

I'm become hooked on watching all of the foodumentaries (yay for streaming Netflix!) and as a result find myself occasionally wanting to hide in the corner with a plate full of organically grown celery stalks, since apparantly everything else is out to kill me (this week it is lunch meats and subway in particular, lol).

My diet is getting rather screwy as a result of giving in to cravings and trying to stay healthy at the same time - I ended up for dinner last night having some meat lovers pizza with an jamba juice smoothie (apples n' greens with a shot of wheatgrass in it). No wonder my stomach hates me!

I know I'm not eating all the things I should, but how does one go about choosing which path to follow? How did you determine which way to go with your own diets?

Replies

• SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Don't think too hard:) I always say if we didn't eat everything that they said was "bad" then we could MAYBE drink water? Portion control works best for me. I eat what I like and that way I don't feel deprived or on a "diet".
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Eat a balanced diet of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and some dairy. Eat as much organic as possible. Drink lots of water. Take a multivitamin and fish oil if you're really concerned about missing out on some nutrients.

ETA: Eat some legumes and nuts, too.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you turn off all the food documentaries and go to the library. Pick up a copy of "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan, and settle down with it. It should effectively dismantle your nutrition paranoia.

In a nutshell there is NO consensus on what is healthy to eat except one - more plants. That's it. Everything else you've ever read - less fat, less carbs, less cholesterol, more fish, no soda, less sugar, more magic pills... there's debate and controversy surrounding all of it. The only recommendation that practically every nutritional scientist, doctor, and personal trainer in the world agrees on is "plants are better for you than other things".

Michael Pollan's basic rule is "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants", and in all the studies I've read, documentaries I've watched and hours of research put in, I've never found a better piece of advice.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.

I've never read any of his books, but a quick search on Michael Pollan will return this statement & it really makes sense to me.

Eat REAL food - not processed.

Watch your portions.

Eat meat, eat dairy, but make most of you intake vegetables and fruits.
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I am just trying to up my fruit, veggie, and water intake since that seems to be good, common sense advice. Otherwise, I just do what makes me feel good and keeps my energy up.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you feel comfortable with. I try to eat mostly lean meats, fresh fruit/veggies and whole grains/complex carbs. But if I want a cheese burger (like I do today!!!) I'll go and get one. Just make sure it's the only "bad" things I eat this week.

Try to avoid processed foods where possible but I go by - nothing is bad - everything is ok IN MODERATION. Dont deprive yourself of things because thats how binges happen, have a small amount of what you crave to put off the craving.

There are so many different "diets" out there and for the most part they dont work. I'm aiming to eat more protein than carbs but if I go into the red on any of my macros I dont worry about it, it's a goal its not the be all and end all!.

Try not to get overwhelmed - just try out a few different things and you soon find what works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    This has really, for me, been a path of trial and error. I try out different ideas, and see what I like/dislike about them. Things I like, I keep. Things I don't, I drop.

For me it's largely about a larger life philosophy- I enjoy eating, I enjoy food, and I enjoy having splurgey food with friends. For me, permanently saying 'no' to all foods is a no, and paying a lot for very highly specialized food isn't an affordable option or one I'm willing to put the energy into. So I stick to the basics: 3-5 veggies a day, 1 or so fruits, Protein or fiber with every meal, lots of snacks in between, try to have a little of everything- meat, fish, dairy, fats, calorie dense but healthy food, and if I want to splurge I try to do so in a controlled way 3/4 of the time, and that last time is a free ride :-)

Anyway, I know this is open advice, but it really, really comes down to what you like to eat , what's important to you about food, and finding things that make you feel the best!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Eat a little bit of it all! I think, considering there are so many rules (some unfounded nonsense) it's best just to eat a varied and moderate diet, where you don't cut out any food groups, focus on the quality of calories and then just know that at the end of each day, you tried your best!

Once you really get going, you'll realise what works for you, I know if I eat too many carbs, I'm going to feel sickly ill and bloated before bed... if I don't eat some carbs, I'm going to get weak and dizzy... If I eat quite a lot of protein, it stops me getting hungry, but my fats go through the roof... if I don't eat at least a little chocolate every day, I'm likely to throttle somebody... they are my golden rules and work wonders - but probably only for me! Start reading your body cues and give up trying to fit into a 'one-size-fits-all' plan that doesn't take into account how your body functions in your lifestyle!
  • hamiltonleanna
    Options
    My thoughts exactly! I just started and have been trying to do my homework and plan out what to eat every meal and when. It gets to the point I'm so confused that I stop reading and wanna quit! I'm goal is to get very toned and trimmed like the fittness models
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and eat meat and corn and wheat and milk. Those are all natural things. What you should be eating less of are packaged products with ingredients such as hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, or ingredients that you can't pronounce or understand. Eat everything in balance and moderation with the exception being for vegetables -- you can eat as many fresh veggies as you want.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Options
    goal is to get very toned and trimmed like the fittness models

Then you need to be at the gym lifting heavy weights.
  • LittleOne1975
    Options
    I just picked up the book Skinny Rules by Bob Harper. It is amazing. It is honest and clear cut and it takes all the confusing guess work out of what to eat. It is a list of 20 Rules that explain to you what you should be eating (or not eating) and why. It explains the reasons behind the list and gives you enough information, that is not to technical or clinical, so that you really gain an understanding of the foods you eat and how they affect your body and your weight loss. I love it and really recommend it to anyone who is feeling overwhelmed by all of the different information out there about food and weight loss.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I tell people this all the time. If you listen to everything the government and scientist and "professionals" say, there is absolutely NOTHING you can eat or drink, including water. Don't believe all the hype. Some things may be true, but there are not enough studies in the world to make me stop eating. My parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc, have done just fine eating and drinking and I will too. I just want to do it a little healther than they did. So I take my plate, fill half with veggies/fruits and the other half I split between protein and complex carbs. You have to ignore it because if you don't then, suddenly everything causes cancer and heart disease, when the truth is, eating a poor diet, not exercising, not getting enought sleep, abusing alcohol/drugs, and smoking are your worst enemies. Its much more likely that a person is predisposed to certain disease through genetics than the healthy foods they put in their bodies. And, I agree with pretty much all these posts. Do what makes you feel good. It's trial and error and takes a while to get used to it. Once you find what works, stick with it. And if it stops working, try something else. Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Eat foods you like
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options

More like. "Eat plants, be hungry too much, mostly fail your diet."

OP, the only food documentary worth watching on netflix is Fat Head, if you watched that then you probably know the answer already. If whole grains, lean meats, fruits and veggies were the answer, most of us would not need to be here. If the pyramid of foods was correct, then we would not have obesity epidemics. Refined grains and sugars are not natural and not normal. Veggies are great and should be consumed daily, but "mostly" is far from true. Our bodies evolved to eat a diet that contains enough fat and protein, green veggies, and minimum fruit/starchy vegetables. If you want to read a book on nutrition, read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. It has 5 years of research, all scientifically based and is not out to sell you some hype diet.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Options
    And cue Taubes argument in 3...2...1...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

More like. "Eat plants, be hungry too much, mostly fail your diet."

OP, the only food documentary worth watching on netflix is Fat Head, if you watched that then you probably know the answer already. If whole grains, lean meats, fruits and veggies were the answer, most of us would not need to be here. If the pyramid of foods was correct, then we would not have obesity epidemics. Refined grains and sugars are not natural and not normal. Veggies are great and should be consumed daily, but "mostly" is far from true. Our bodies evolved to eat a diet that contains enough fat and protein, green veggies, and minimum fruit/starchy vegetables. If you want to read a book on nutrition, read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. It has 5 years of research, all scientifically based and is not out to sell you some hype diet.

Not sure if srs

Watch FatHead and read Taubes? Why are you trying to fill her head up with nonsense?
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Then you need to be at the gym lifting heavy weights.
    Eat foods you like

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Ok, technically 2 winners...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What you should eat depends on a lot of things. Are you planning to lift heavy weights with the intent of building muscle? If so, high protien would probably be your best bet, assuming that you have no medical conditions that could make this diet harmful. Do you have gluten intollerance or other problems digesting grains? If so, you might want to try a low carb diet. Do you plan to do a lot of aerobic exercise? If so, you may want to eat more healthy carbs.

Personally, I have no health problems and no desire to lift heavy things repeatedly. I do moderate aerobic and moderate strength training (mostly body weight). And I work in healthcare, so I tend to follow the medical recommendations. This (link and quote below) form the Harvard School of Public Health is what I mostly follow:

Source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/
    The answer to the question "What should I eat?" is actually pretty simple. But you wouldn't know that from news reports on diet and nutrition studies, whose sole purpose seems to be to confuse people on a daily basis. When it comes down to it, though—when all the evidence is looked at together—the best nutrition advice on what to eat is relatively straightforward: Eat a plant-based diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains; choose foods with healthy fats, like olive and canola oil, nuts and fatty fish; limit red meat and foods that are high in saturated fat; and avoid foods that contain trans fats. Drink water and other healthy beverages, and limit sugary drinks and salt. Most important of all is keeping calories in check, so you can avoid weight gain, which makes exercise a key partner to a healthy diet.
  • southernpurplevegan
    southernpurplevegan Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I personally eat mostly a plant based diet myself I find it works for me with my food allergies that have. So I would say stick with what works for you but avoid processed foods is something that is always good to do.

Eat more Whole Foods

Avoid High Fruitcose Corn Syrup

Drink More Water