KT Tape??

TKHappy
TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
Has anyone used it?? What was your experience with it?? How did you know how to apply it correctly?

I have been having IT Band issues that are much better but as precautionary during my 10k Saturday I was considering getting some KT Tape a using it! I'm not sure I would know how to apply it though and if it will even help...hence the above questions LOL! :)

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I haven't used it so take this with the appropriate grain of salt...........

In my tri club we have a number of members who swear by it but I've also read a number of articles that call its effectiveness into question.

My understanding is that it's best applied by someone (usually a massage therapist or PT) that has been trained in the proper application (my massage therapist does KT).

I had an IT band issue last year that cost me 6 weeks of running, stretching, massage & foam roller helped. My MT had me running again after 2 sessions and has me doing IT band specific stretches and foam roller after every run......so far so good

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    I have used Kinesio Tape for my Achiles and Patellar Tendons and loved it. Proper application takes a little guidance and understanding, and then just practice and experience. I have found that I like the Tex Tape a lot more than KT Tape, it is thinner, lasts longer and contours more easily to your body, on the negative side being thinner it is not quite as strong. You have to cut the strips yourself, but then you waste a lot less. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions.
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    I haven't used it so take this with the appropriate grain of salt...........

In my tri club we have a number of members who swear by it but I've also read a number of articles that call its effectiveness into question.

My understanding is that it's best applied by someone (usually a massage therapist or PT) that has been trained in the proper application (my massage therapist does KT).

I had an IT band issue last year that cost me 6 weeks of running, stretching, massage & foam roller helped. My MT had me running again after 2 sessions and has me doing IT band specific stretches and foam roller after every run......so far so good

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099

all hail the foam roller!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    bump
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    If you have IT band issues why not try a foam roller it has worked wonders for me and it probably cheaper in the long run.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Foam roller. Foam roller. Foam roller.

I don't have any IT band issues, but I have had months of issues with my right hip flexor and left groin (I tore it 5 months ago, not just a pull), and the foam roller has helped SO MUCH with both. I just started using it about a month ago, and I will never stop now :)
  • MissMollieD
    MissMollieD Posts: 130
    I used it. You have to be careful to put it on correctly the first time you put it down, pulling it up and expecting it to restick is virtually impossible.

Anyway, check youtube and the KT tape website for how to apply it for what ails you.

I didn't have any success at all with it but I was having such horrible knee pain I was willing to try anything. I think it must work for some people because I see a lot of people wearing it at races these days. And it's just too expensive to keep buying if it doesn't work.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 749 Member
    I have a couple friends who only use it when running in a race and they love it because it keeps their calves or whatever they have taped up from tightening up. I never used it, but they also have socks that work like the tape too, if you would rather do that instead of the tape
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Thanks everyone! I think I will give it a try, I just looked at tutorials on their website!! I don't have a foam roller but while I'm picking up KT Tape I may as well invest in a foam roller :) I actually have been having geat succes with a softball LOL...and ice, stretching and rest! Just want to make it to the finish line of my run without doing damage! :)