Is working out every day too much?

Options
I started this journey a little over a week ago. My plan is to work out on my elliptical trainer everyday. I am up to 30 minutes. But ive been reading alot (maybe i should stop that! lol) Some of what i have read suggests that you shouldnt work out every single day. Just looking for some input. Thanks in advance

Replies

• spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Listen to your body and if you have health concerns check with your doctor.

I would set something in place that you can sustain long term.

some cardio every day is not bad in my opinion. Lifting weights everyday without allowing the worked muscles to heal is.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I work out at least 6 days a week most weeks, and have at times worked out every day. I think you have to go by what you body is telling you and exactly what type of exercise you are doing. Technically, I guess I can say I exercise every day as my dog gets walked every day but sometimes a rest day from the serious stuff is a must!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It's very hard to overtrain.

It's very easy to undersleep and undereat.
  • amyramoon
    amyramoon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started two weeks ago working out every day. It's good to do so because you spread it out. Don't work out too long every day, that's all you need to make sure of.

Using the elliptical only just works certain muscles. Make sure to train your other muscles too so you develop muscles all over and they start converting fat to muscle everywhere. The theory is that muscle burns excess fat.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I typically workout daily. When Im feeling burnt out or drained I take a day or two off. I doubt you'l overtrain on the elliptical though
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I get better results when I allow my body to recover and can give it a 100%. Also less risk of injury.

Workout 3x week (M-W-F)
    Run 5k 4x a week (M-W-F-S)

Typical Marine routine.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I will do two days on, one day off. On my days on, I don't do the same thing two days in a row.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You have to listen to your body and make sure it's okay for you to do. One week of working out every day is exciting and fun. Months of it? Not so much. It's ok to take a day off every once and a while, or at least have a really, really easy day. I run/bike/etc 6 days a week, but on Saturdays I have just a tiny workout in comparison to give myself a day "off."
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to "break the cycle" of exercise, try something less strenuous instead of a full rest day. Hatha (stretching) yoga is great for working on flexibility and balance. Something your body needs anyway.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I always hit the gym 5-6 days a week for cardio and/or weights and yoga. Sometimes I even go 7 days. But then I don't feel guilty if I decide to take a day off ...... and my day off still consists of a short walk, either around the block, or a few turns around the mall or the supermarket .....

Gotta eat, gotta move, gotta breathe !