Shooting pain when I run

Options
Not sure if anyone else has this problem but here goes. I have been working out now for about 2 months. I started by walking and then increasing my speed on the tread mill but when I run I have noticed a shooting pain in my left leg from right above my ankle to right below my knee. I thought it was just from me being out of shape and overweight but it doesnt seem to be getting better. I do stretch before my workouts. It last for about 3 hours after a run but then I'm fine. It doesn't bother me when I am at a brisk walk or even walking on an incline only when I am at a fast jog or run. Any one have an idea what this could be? I would really appreciate any advise.

Replies

• mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints. Not sure what the fix is though.
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints

Read this and see if it helps or sounds familiar.
  • mmarshall425
    mmarshall425 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but I dont think it is shin splints. The pain runs down the side of my leg not in the clalf or shin.
  • jmax68
    jmax68 Posts: 11
    Options
    Sometimes this will happen if you add to much time or distance to quick. Self massage can help relieve some of the tension. It can also happen with shoes. I had an injury that was affecting me for months and just thought it was a pull or something. I just happen to buy new shoes and it went away. Hope this helps.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for the right running shoe for your gait? If not, you owe it to yourself to do so. Go to a specialty running store and let them tell you what you need. The right shoes make a big difference. The wrong shoes can cause injuries.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for the right running shoe for your gait? If not, you owe it to yourself to do so. Go to a specialty running store and let them tell you what you need. The right shoes make a big difference. The wrong shoes can cause injuries.

^^ THIS^^ I speak from experience. In my 20s I ran on the wrong shoes (because I was poor and they were on sale). And I really messed up my knee.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints or more importantly the shoes you are running in. If you don't have the proper shoes then you will eventually cause severe pain to your legs. I would go to a running store and get fitted (Fleet Feet, etc)
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who suggest going some where and having your gait analyzed. It sounds like what happened to to me when I was walking in my old shoes. Turns out, I'm a heel striker and when I land I over-pronate and my arch collapse. This caused pain in my shin and my calf.

Try a place like Fleet feet - you may need shoes that have more stability with orthodics to provide better arch support.

When you get the proper shoe for your gait, it can change how you feel when you walk or run.

*edit* Pain down the side of your leg could also be irriation of your sciatic nerve (which is something I'm dealing with now). It can register as everything from numbness, pins and needles, to pain. Again, there are stretches you can find that will help to release your piriformis muscles (the muscles that surround the sciatic nerve) and better shoes will help with the pressure on the nerve.
  • mmarshall425
    mmarshall425 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have never been fitted for running shoes. I have been just using my old Nike cross trainers. Sounds like a good place to start. Time for a new pair anyway.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Down the side of your leg could be due to peroneus longus tendon damage. Get your doc to look at it, you might need rest to let it heal.