protein/fruit/veg shake

Options
So I struggle at lunch to get my protein in and I'm always too high in carbs.
So I'm thinking about starting to make shakes for lunch now.
I drink light vanilla soy milk.
so I figured I could mix that, with some fruits (any veg suggestions), some sort of protein powder/shake stuff ?

Any recommendations or receipes?

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Fruits have a lot of carbs, keep that in mind. I make a "low carb" shake by using half a bottle of Designer Whey Liquid Protein Shake in chocolate (50 cal, 1 g fat, 2.5 g carb, 9 g protein), a scoop of protein powder, 1 tbsp Jif Reduced fat peanut butter (95 cal, 6g fat, 6.5 g carb, 3.5 g protein), and half a banana (50 cal, 0g fat, 10.4g carb, no protein) if I have the room for the banana carbs, if not I leave that out (I eat a lot of fruit every day).
  • kimber_av
    kimber_av Posts: 98
    Options
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my food diary, though I did not post for a couple of weeks while helping my wife recover from surgery. I have a lot of different shakes I have come to like.

Most of them consist of 1 cup of fruit. Depending on what it is I'll do 1 tbsp of peanut butter, 1 tbsp of cocoa powder, 1 tsp of extracts.

I know a lot of people that will use pudding mix but the sodium in that is insane. So I stay away from those.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Fruits have a lot of carbs, keep that in mind. I make a "low carb" shake by using half a bottle of Designer Whey Liquid Protein Shake in chocolate (50 cal, 1 g fat, 2.5 g carb, 9 g protein), a scoop of protein powder, 1 tbsp Jif Reduced fat peanut butter (95 cal, 6g fat, 6.5 g carb, 3.5 g protein), and half a banana (50 cal, 0g fat, 10.4g carb, no protein) if I have the room for the banana carbs, if not I leave that out (I eat a lot of fruit every day).

I make the same shake but lately I've been using Lean Body For Her, which is more of a "meal replacement" shake (180 calories, 30 grams protein, but still low carb) and I mix with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, and half a banana. It's very satisfying and keeps me full for several hours.
  • princesslsg
    princesslsg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Go look at my food diary! I drink shakes breakfast and lunch normally and have protein shakes for snacks...Im addicted!
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    http://www.iherb.com/Vega-Sequel-Naturals-Complete-Whole-Food-Health-Optimizer-Vanilla-Chai-Flavor-34-9-oz-988-g/9138

Just started taking this, and it is AWESOME. I also have the Chooclate and it is almost just as good.Here are the facts:

Sugar Free, Gluten Free, Dairy and Soy Free
    All-in-One, Natural Plant-Based Formula
    Excellent Source of Protein, Fiber & Antioxidants
    Provides 100% Recommended Daily Intake of Vitamins & Minerals
    Contains Omega 3 & 6 EFAs, Enzymes, Probiotics & Phytonutrients
    Free of Common Allergens, Alkaline-Forming & Easy to Digest
    Whole Food
    Dietary Supplement
    GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices)
    22g Carbs
    15g Fiber
    26g Protein
    1g Sugar
    240 Calories

I drink it with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk and WOW!
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of fruit or veggies just on their own, so I use "green smoothies" to get my daily intake of those. For instance,this morning I made a smoothie with a little water, about 6 oz frozen blackberries, half an apple, half a banana, half an orange, a carrot, and about half of a bag of spinach. I blend it all smooth, then throw in a scoop of vanilla protein powder. It's delish, and I can make sure I get plenty of good stuff first thing in the morning. :)
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Do you cook? It seems that you rely on fast food and frozen meals for many of your meals. You just have to pre-plan on Sundays and cook something up to take to lunch with you for the week.
  • kelgalon
    kelgalon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite breakfast smoothies is a small package of frozen mixed berries, 3 oz spinach, 1 banana, 1/2 to 1 cup almond (or soy) milk to desired consistency, and add silken tofu and/or almonds for protein. Always could add a protein powder instead. It does make alot...ALOT. I drink the whole thing and it keeps me going all morning but it could easily be split in two.
  • kimber_av
    kimber_av Posts: 98
    Options
    Yes I cook. the past couple of days you see I didn't. but thats not normal for me. I just havent had any time or groceries lately.
    I very rarely go out to eat. you'd see that in earlier entries..
  • Lofner
    Lofner Posts: 1
    Options
    Try Atkins shakes.........
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    So I struggle at lunch to get my protein in and I'm always too high in carbs.
    So I'm thinking about starting to make shakes for lunch now.
    I drink light vanilla soy milk.
    so I figured I could mix that, with some fruits (any veg suggestions), some sort of protein powder/shake stuff ?

Any recommendations or receipes?

Get yourself a little mixer you can keep at work.....those shaker bottles don't work too well.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Soy is not a miracle food. Soy should be used SPARINGLY and only fermented soy should be consumed. You people who consume soy to get your protein are all in for a rude awakening. Soy causes many, many health problems or exacerbates pre-existing health problems.

Good luck.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Soy is not a miracle food. Soy should be used SPARINGLY and only fermented soy should be consumed. You people who consume soy to get your protein are all in for a rude awakening. Soy causes many, many health problems or exacerbates pre-existing health problems.

Good luck.

Agreed! As a long time vegetarian, I had been eating and drinking TONS of soy products over the years until hearing a couple months ago how dangerous soy actually is due to all the plant estrogens soy contains, all the processing it goes though to be turned into soy milk or fake meat, and the fact that a lot of it is genetically modified. About a month ago I switched from soy milk to unsweetened almond milk, and started limiting my soy food intake to just edamame or very limited amounts of veggie meats with soy, and I feel and look SO much better it's unbelievable.