Has anyone else had this problem?

Options
I've recently got a gym membership, & started really going. I've had the membership 7 days now, & gone 5 days of the past 7.

I generally burn between 400-600 calories per day now I've added the gym & I've been under my net calorie goal every day.... The exercises I've been doing?

*Running (Couch to 5k)
*Eliptical
*Recumbent Bike
*SOME weights (I did one day on the machines)

But I'm up almost FIVE POUNDS. Whisky... Tango... Foxtrot...????

This CAN'T ALL be muscle. That's just not possible. It's NOT. TOM is weeks away... (if that's TMI, I'm sorry) ...so I'm sure it isn't that. What is up with this?

Replies

• vigilynn
    vigilynn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well done on the workouts, but its early days. Give it a month or 2 and I bet things will have shifted. Good luck
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'm NO expert, but give your body time to adjust to the changes. It will happen.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Weight shifts daily. Just be patient and think of the long term goal. Before you know it you will start losing the lbs
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    When you start a new exercise routine your muscles have a tendency to absorb water to help them heal. Watch your sodium intake and drink lots of fluids to keep your body from hoarding it and you should see the scale start to move in the right direction soon.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I start new exercises or routines, I gain a bit at first. It's just your body adjusting, water weight, whatever. Stick with it and eat well and I'm sure you'll see the scale go back down.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Way to go! But, no it's not all muscle. Give it more time.

How are you calculating calorie burns? Machines & MFP tend to overstate. Make sure you're not eating back too many calories Unless you are using a heart rate monitor ... you may want to eat back 50-75%.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It is pretty much your body holding on to more water to adjust for all of the work you are putting your muscles through. It will eventually start coming off again. Don't worry just stick with it!
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I loved the Whisky... Tango... Foxtrot...???? comment... that made me laugh!! I would have used more colorful words but yeah!

But like everyone else is saying give it some time before you jump to conclusions. My wife just gave up her addiction to diet Coke and was floored that she actually gained a few pounds instead of losing. I told her to give it time. Water intake will make your body weight adjust daily too.