High Protein, Low Fat

Options

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I've got to have something to look forward to of an evening. ;-)
    Seriously, my thinking (which I know is a bit skewed) is that as alcohol calories get burned first and I am almost always under my daily goal calorie wise then the alcohol doesn't have much of an effect on my weight.
    I take a multivitamin and try to eat as 'clean' as possible (for the amount of calories I have to 'spend' each day).

Good that you recognize it's a bit skewed :p Because honestly, alcohol has almost as many calories per gram as fat.

Your fat's low -- but not as low as you think it is because you're looking at saturated fat only. It's still really low.

You've posted in another thread about hair loss. You need to get some fat/protein/calories in general into your diet, because this is a sign of a serious nutritional problem. Someone as lean as you already are (and you ARE) can't afford too high of a calorie deficit.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Fresh fish.

High protein. Good fats, no saturated ones.

I'm on a really fixed low income (part reason for why I only eat meat once a week) with very little to spare for luxuries like fresh fish and on top of that we don't have a fishmonger anywhere near and I refuse to buy fish from the supermarket.
    I can't honestly remember the last time I ate a bit of fresh fish :(

Why won't you buy fish from a supermarket? I don't have a fishmonger nearby either, but I still eat fish - just had some scallops the other nite... And if you keep your eyes open, you can get it on sale.

Also, you can get frozen shrimp at the supermarket, as well. 5 years ago, I wouldn't have recommended it, but they've gotten really good at it.

The only supermarket near me is Tesco and the fish counter only gets a 'fresh' delivery once a week and when you ask any of the guys none of them can tell you what day the last delivery was, nor whether the fish has been frozen previously so there's no way I'll buy potentially 'old' fish that can't be kept longer than that day because I don't know if it's safe to freeze. Then there's the method of capture and the lies that Tesco spout, but that's another topic altogether.
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It appears that you are calculating SATURATED fat and not TOTAL fat. It is a good idea to keep the saturated to a minimum but if you are concerned about fat content you need to look at the whole picture. Your body needs fats and carbs to function properly. You need to be eating at LEAST at your BMR. Your BMR is the amount of calories your body burns daily if you were in a state of rest all day long. So you need at least that amount of calories for normal organ functions. If you go to scoobysworkshop.com you can put in all of your information and it will tell you the amount of calories you should be eating as well as the proper macros you need.

You can get plenty of protein without eating meat. Vegetarians do it all the time.

The best sources of non-meat protein are beans and legumes; nuts; seeds like sunflower and pumpkin seeds; soy products like tofu, tempeh and veggie burgers; and for non-vegans, eggs and dairy products. Good sources of plant based protein include grains like barley, buckwheat, oatmeal, quinoa and rye, and fruits and vegetables such as beets, broccoli, kale, mustard greens, yams, bananas, pineapple, cantaloupes and grapes.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/245198-non-meat-protein-foods/#ixzz1xmsIdnjl

Chicken is a fairly inexpensive meat. You can buy a whole chicken and remove the skin and cook it and use for future meals. Canned tuna is also inexpensive. The have bags of frozen tilapia fish that is about $8 as well. Peanut butter is good too with good fats.

You are not eating only a gram or 2 of fat everyday. You have yours set to SATURATED FAT not FAT. There are different types of fat that make up your total fat consumed and saturated fat is only one. You should go to settings and change it from saturated fat to fat. I checked your diary briefly and trust me if you are eating chips, eggs, bread and meat you are not only eating 2 grams of total fat.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Lunch on Tuesday... a polo mint.... :huh: :huh: :huh:

Are you serious?
  • janemem
    Options
    Todays lunch... THREE grams of white bread...??? :huh:
    is that a mistake or was it a crumb??

Lol! I'm ashamed to say it's true. My son had houmous on toast and I just couldn't resist a nibble. I log ABSOLUTELY everything, saddo that I am. :))
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't believe her post is directed at the fact that you logged that "nibble" but the fact that you logged it as your LUNCH with nothing else
  • janemem
    Options
    Alcohol does have an impact on your weight ultimately, as they're empty calories with zero nutritional value, giving your body nothing.

You need to have a think about your priorities.

You either stick with the booze and crisps and accept you won't get the body you want... or you change your habits?

It's difficult to really explain the way I think. I am not stupid and I know more about nutrition than you would think, I can give all the good advice but when it comes to myself I stumble. For instance my son is 14 and all his (post weaning) life I have been like a walking talking nutrition manual. He eats the best I can provide and is super healthy because I know what he should and shouldn't be eating for optimum health. I just don't put it in to practise myself even though I know I should.
  • janemem
    Options
    I don't believe her post is directed at the fact that you logged that "nibble" but the fact that you logged it as your LUNCH with nothing else

My 'Lunch' diary isn't really for lunch as such, it's just where I log whatever I eat during the day whilst cooking or nibbling as I never have a meal before my dinner and that's eaten just before or (mostly) in bed.
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    Alcohol does have an impact on your weight ultimately, as they're empty calories with zero nutritional value, giving your body nothing.

You either stick with the booze and crisps and accept you won't get the body you want... or you change your habits?

It's difficult to really explain the way I think. I am not stupid and I know more about nutrition than you would think, I can give all the good advice but when it comes to myself I stumble. For instance my son is 14 and all his (post weaning) life I have been like a walking talking nutrition manual. He eats the best I can provide and is super healthy because I know what he should and shouldn't be eating for optimum health. I just don't put it in to practise myself even though I know I should.

I see where you're coming from buy aren't you concerned that your son may think you're a bit of a hypocrite if you don't practice what you preach?

Kids learn by imitation.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Ok so you know what you should do and don't. I get that. We don't always practice what we preach. BUT.....you are now experiencing adverse effects of your poor nutritional habits and are asking for advice. We have given it to you and now it is up to you to fix it. Change is hard but it is neccessary. I honestly hope you can make the needed changes for your health. Your son needs you around as long as possible.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

I don't think people were saying you were stupid -- just that if you want to get the body you want, you're going to have to figure out a way to put into practice what you already know you ought to do.
  • janemem
    Options

I see where you're coming from buy aren't you concerned that your son may think you're a bit of a hypocrite if you don't practice what you preach?

Kids learn by imitation.

Hypocrite? I don't think giving my son the best above myself can be classed as hypocrisy.
    I do eat healthily, granted not a lot but he never see's me tucking in to a load of sweets, fatty food or general crap. That would be hypocritical. He know's I am really strict about what I will/can eat.
  • janemem
    Options
    Ok so you know what you should do and don't. I get that. We don't always practice what we preach. BUT.....you are now experiencing adverse effects of your poor nutritional habits and are asking for advice. We have given it to you and now it is up to you to fix it. Change is hard but it is neccessary. I honestly hope you can make the needed changes for your health. Your son needs you around as long as possible.

You are 100% correct, the whole reason I opened this topic was to gain help and advice, believe me it is registering. :)
    I have less than 8 weeks to try to turn this around, so I know I have got to really nuckle down and sort myself out.
    Thanks for not being too harsh on me. :)
  • janemem
    Options

I don't think people were saying you were stupid -- just that if you want to get the body you want, you're going to have to figure out a way to put into practice what you already know you ought to do.

I didn't mean it as an accusation, sorry if it came across that way.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Kids learn by imitation.

Hypocrite? I don't think giving my son the best above myself can be classed as hypocrisy.
    I do eat healthily, granted not a lot but he never see's me tucking in to a load of sweets, fatty food or general crap. That would be hypocritical. He know's I am really strict about what I will/can eat.

What you're eating leaves a lot to be desired, though. Your son is seeing you drink your calories in the form of alcohol than he is seeing you eat it. There is a lot of processed foods there, a lot fewer fresh fruits (do you eat any fruits?) and vegetables. There is almost no protein there. You cannot be a good role model eating this way.

I'm not saying that you need to stop eating all the stuff you are currently. I am a strong believer in eating everything in moderation. But, those should be your 'splurge' calories. The stuff that's leftover from eating real foods, and should not be the major part of your diet.
  • janemem
    Options

Kids learn by imitation.

What you're eating leaves a lot to be desired, though. Your son is seeing you drink your calories in the form of alcohol than he is seeing you eat it. There is a lot of processed foods there, a lot fewer fresh fruits (do you eat any fruits?) and vegetables. There is almost no protein there. You cannot be a good role model eating this way.

I'm not saying that you need to stop eating all the stuff you are currently. I am a strong believer in eating everything in moderation. But, those should be your 'splurge' calories. The stuff that's leftover from eating real foods, and should not be the major part of your diet.

Just to clarify my son does not see me drink my calories as I generally don't have a drink until he is in bed.
    I cut back on fruit when I realised that with only 1 apple and 1 pear a day I was exceeding my daily sugar 'goal' but I have tried to 'up' my vegetable intake. Most days I'll have some raw or pickled veg.
    Once again I'll say that my son does not see me scoffing crap all day, he only ever see's me eating low fat, fresh, nutritious foods.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, alcohol does affect your weight. Alcohol have calories and depending on what you drink will add up, they have no healthy nutrition in them. I noticed last year, I cut alcohol out completely, you shouldn't cut everything out all together, but I noticed a huge difference.

I'm not trying to say you are doing it wrong, but I think you should maybe keep track of different macros. Saturated fat is pretty easy to stay away from if are eating healthier. Carbs, Fat and Protein should be your main macros to track, the other 3 are usually just to keep an eye on, I track sugar and sat fat, but I know I don't go over them very often. With iron, you can easily take iron supplements because even I can't get my daily iron intake from food alone.

You say you know a lot about nutrition, but it's no good knowing about it, but not doing something about it. I'm not trying to come off as rude or anything, just trying to help anyone that needs help, even if it sounds rude, as long as it gets through to people.

You should plan your meals at the start of the day making sure you have ticked each macro box and it has reached your calorie goal for the day. The only part you need to do is eat whatever is planned. I think at the moment, you are doing to exercise for the amount you are eating. Try doing light exercise that only burns like 100 calories or something. You need to first get used to eating enough food. Once you are able to reach your calorie goals, slowly incorporate intense workouts whilst eating back the calories.

Also, you can easily buy frozen fish if fresh fish is too much. Making cut backs on certain foods help as well, like the alcohol. Try making it a weekend thing, but don't go overboard. It's about self control and everything in moderation, this is why a lot of people are here, is to gain back that self control over food.
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    Giving your son the best you can is great!!! It's more than some people do. It's fantastic!!!

But the problem is somewhere along the line he will question why these, to him, arbitrary rules about good and regular food only apply to him and not to you.

Kids clock these things. They are very quick to pick up on the "do as I say not as I do".

He doesn't see you stuff your face with rubbish. Granted. But he sees you drinking alcohol daily and having nothing but a polo mint for lunch.
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    Cutting back on sugar but eating less fruit?? But babe it's fruit sugar, not refined sugar, plus fruit gives you fibre and heaps of nutrients.

It's all cart before horse to bin the fruit but still have the wine.
  • janemem
    Options
    Giving your son the best you can is great!!! It's more than some people do. It's fantastic!!!

But the problem is somewhere along the line he will question why these, to him, arbitrary rules about good and regular food only apply to him and not to you.

Kids clock these things. They are very quick to pick up on the "do as I say not as I do".

He doesn't see you stuff your face with rubbish. Granted. But he sees you drinking alcohol daily and having nothing but a polo mint for lunch.

Can I please try to make it clear once again that my son does NOT see me drinking daily and living off a polo mint.
    He is at school during the day and I only drink at night.
    What sort of mother do you think I am?!