Weights v body-weight-only: help a rookie out?

Saaski
Saaski Posts: 105 Member
Are exercises that use your own body weight for the resistance; push-ups, tricep dips, chin-ups, pull-ups, etc considered strength training too? I workout at home and make an effort to weight train with the dumbbells I own, but I also do intensity workouts with these body-weight exercises (sorry if there's a proper term for em) and sometimes I swap them for my weight-training days. I'm wondering if they are what is considering strength training, because though I'm trying to get trimmer, I'm really worried about losing muscle, and from what I've read, strength training is the best way to keep it.

I'll still be doing these exercises regardless of what they count as, since I know they work parts that my weight training doesn't; it would mostly mean stepping up my weight training, I guess. I want to decrease my body fat, but I don't want strength and muscle to be a casualty.

If it helps, my *current weight routine is:
Side flys, 10lbs 8r/3s
Front flys, 10lbs 8r/3s
Bicep curls 15lbs 7r/3s
Dumbbell shoulder press 15lbs 8r/3s
One-arm overhead extension 5lb 8r/3s
Kickbacks 5lb 8r/3s

While my body-weight-only exercises include me doing reps of the several of following exercises (I usually pick 3-5 of this list to do at one time). Each rep lasts until I can't do the exercise anymore, then I switch to another until I complete all the ones I set for myself, and I repeat this three times:
Push-ups
Diamond Push-ups
Tricep dips
Reverse crunches (though I start and end with my legs raised and extended out)
Reverse sit-ups
Squats
Plank
Side plank

Any input would be appreciated. And if you've got any advice for a rookie, that would be a great help too!

*this is where I'm currently at. I increase the weight once I can do the 8r/3s without difficulty on the final rep.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Sure. Anything that is hard to move helps. Including your own body weight.
    The 'training' part comes in when you increase resistance.
    Doing 10lb flys every week forever ain't going to get you anywhere.

Ditching the isolation exercises and doing barbell squats, deadlifts, etc will provide you WAY more benefit.
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Well, as said before, I'm working out at home, with the equipment I've got. And I don't have barbells or benches. I do change up the weight training when it gets easy to do the reps and sets I've set out for myself, but if I don't know if I necessarily have the equipment to target specific muscles past the isolation exercises I'm currently doing. Or do it?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Definitely ditch the isolation exercises in favor of more compound movements. You can use your dumbbells to do squats, overhead press, bent over rows and bench press (laying on the florr if you have no bench. Less range of motion, but better than nothing.) You will eventually need to go up in weight. The dips, push-ups, etc. are all fine, too.