New to ALL of this...

Options
I am a 38 year old wife and mother of 2 boys (17 and 8). I need to lose about 150 lbs. I have gradually added on the weight over the last 2 years. I have not been very motivated, which I know is bad. I am here to see if I can change that. I really want to try and get into shape, If nothing else just so I can get out and do more things with my husband and kids. I am tired of being out of breath and needing to sit down when we go out. My husband told me about this site when he heard about it from a friend at work. I am hoping that this will be some of the motivation that I have been looking for.

Replies

• Jnine25
    Jnine25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm 38 also and I've been on countless diets... failed ones of course. I've been here since January and it took me a while to find a good group of friends on here but I have them now ;). I could use one more though. Let's support each other.
  • 4sandrad
    4sandrad Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place for motivation and support. The folks here are awesome. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you like. Good Luck. You can do this!!!!
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Welcome, you will never be the same if you stick to this site and work your plan! You got this!! Make it happen! :-)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Good for you for deciding to make a change. Good luck to you! There's a lot of great people on this site with tons of very helpful information.
  • yvonnetracy
    Options
    I am new also and hoping this is it for me!!! So far I have had quite a few people helping to inspire me.. So far so good.. Hopefully I can meet up with some people locally to workout with.. It's always easier :)
  • KenDubya74
    KenDubya74 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Another 38 year old here, welcome to the beginning of your journey! This site will be a big help to you, it has been for me! You can do this!
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi There! I had the same feelings as you just 6 months ago... And here i am now almost 60 pounds gone and feeling sooo sooo soooo much better! You can do this! I'm 48 and married with an empty nest. Feel free to send a friend request.. would be glad to help!
    All the best!
    Gwen
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Now is a great time for you to take control and change your habits! This is a great place for support and motivation. You will be successful if you are ready to change your lifestyle. It's all about baby steps and the goals will not be reached overnight, but people will root you on for small successes. I wish you the best on your journey......feel free to add me if you want to. Sounds like hubby will be a good support too which helps!
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'd love to encourage you! I was there 18 months ago.... 54 yrs old,over 300 lbs, on meds for BP and about to be diabetic. I was out of breath, unhealthy and out of energy to move more than I had to. I went to the doctor, got on the South Beach diet at first and eventually went to a nutritionist to get advice on a diet for me. SLOWLY it all turned around. I use a deep religiuos faith and committment as my strength and guidance throughout this journey. I have recently attained my goal wt and run 5-7 miles a day and workout in the pool 6 days a week.I eat a strict 1200 cal diet with a once a month "day of departure". It has worked for me. You can friend me if you want.
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    Welcome and good luck with the progress :)
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It's a great tool to keep on track with your calories and also this site is filled with wonderfully supportive people to help you. Feel free to add me. I promise if you stick with it, log EVERY calorie, and get out a walk every day, you will see miraculous results.
  • GidgetW
    GidgetW Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    Good for you!! You have a great attitude! I think you will find this to be a very supportive, encouraging place for you! Best wishes :) Feel free to friend me if you'd like
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    We are all here to encourage. The great thing is we all get to be encouraged as well. Feel free to add me as a friend. Thanks

This is the place to be!!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP - I totally understand where you are coming from. I always thought I couldn't lose weight for some reason or another (I'm just built this way......my birth control makes me fat.....it doesn't matter because my husband still loves me.....etc).

Let me tell you - life is so much easier when you are at a healthy weight! You can do this and you will be so amazed at your results :happy:

Feel free to add me if you want!!
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This site is wonderful! I have been on it since February and I've lost 22lbs (and counting). I couldn't have done it without all the support from the wonderful friends I've met. Please feel free to add me (anyone of you)! Congrats on joining! It's the first step to a new lifestyle! :):smile:
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    feel free to add me guys:)
  • ANB22
    ANB22 Posts: 64
    Options
    I have only been on here for a little over a month but have found some excellent support and motivation. If you want you can add me as your friend :)
  • lemasney
    lemasney Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am a 38 year old wife and mother of 2 boys (17 and 8). I need to lose about 150 lbs. I have gradually added on the weight over the last 2 years. I have not been very motivated, which I know is bad.

You're in the right place, and you have the right mindset. Not being motivated to lose isn't 'bad', necessarily -- it's just that it is the default. Being motivated is a matter of experience, goals, and valences, and is incredibly different from person to person. You sound like you want to switch your motivations from eating tasty junk foods to being motivated to be healthy and eating energizing, delicious, and varied foods, and that's not bad at all.

Ask questions, add friends, and start counting, and the 150 will be gone next year. Cheers, and add me if you like! That goes for the rest of you too. :))

j.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi feel free to add me, anyone of you, have a read of my blog to see how MFP has changed me.