questions about carlories burned

Options
when I log in that i have done light house work and it tells me how many calories i have burned do i also put down my walking i did while cleaning or is that included into the light house work calories?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are considering housework as burned calories? These should be figured into your daily activity level assuming you have that set correctly.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't count stuff like cleaning and shopping as calories burned, it's just regular activity so I feel like I'd be cheating myself if I put that down as exercise.

However, if you do want to log it, I would assume it includes everything involved in cleaning, so yes the walking is included.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are considering housework as burned calories? These should be figured into your daily activity level assuming you have that set correctly.

This! This is normal daily activity not exercise to log. It can be self defeating to count things that are part of daily activity as it will not give you an accurate picture of your real burn. It can lead to overestimating burn and underestimating your deficit.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. I can see tracking a Spring Cleaning kind of thing where you're going nuts! but everyday cleaning just feels unfair to log.
  • BSmith0926
    BSmith0926 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    well so everyone knows I eat right and count my cleaning everyday for just over 2 months and have lost 23 pounds. I take care of a family of 7 so I am always one the go I have to count everything I do. it works for me. Also if I wasn't to add cleaning as exercise then it wouldn't be in or under the exercise tab
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You should consider a Fitbit. It counts (nearly) everything, too, so you don't have to. Like how our bodies 'count' it all. Then you can ditch most of the silly math and activity logging and BMR myths and 'adding back your exercise' and counting minutes spent vacuuming and stuff.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    well so everyone knows I eat right and count my cleaning everyday for just over 2 months and have lost 23 pounds. I take care of a family of 7 so I am always one the go I have to count everything I do. it works for me. Also if I wasn't to add cleaning as exercise then it wouldn't be in or under the exercise tab

Then you do not have your activity level set correctly. It should be lightly active or active and you should NOT count daily activities unless it is set to "sedentary". If so you are accounting for those calories twice.

Good luck!
  • BSmith0926
    BSmith0926 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Where would i buy a fitbit? I haven't ever heard of that.