After All These Years of "No I Can't!"...I Can Actually Run?

Options
2»

Replies

• 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    Good stuff! Keep at it! :)
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    So GOOD to hear this!

I used say the same thing about ZUMBA -- me, dance for an hour? Never. Learn the steps? Never. Amazing what happens when you acutally TRY something.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Now you'll really start to surprise yourself with everything you CAN do! I hate the first 5 minutes of every workout until my breathing settles into a rhythm and I get my sweat on. But then? Then I'm in the zone and the fatigue is easier to beat back. It's kind of a miracle when I think about it, because I didn't think I could either --- and probably for a lot longer than you did.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of myself today. I ran 5 straight minutes during my workout. Granted, the first two minutes I spent fighting myself, knowing I had three more minutes to go, but I did it! I know it's a little lame, but I cried when I got in my car afterwards because I've spent the past five years of my life doubting my ability to do anything fitness wise. My goal is now to make it to 45 straight minutes of running, but I know I have a long road to go before I reach that. It's just crazy how telling yourself that you can't do something, so many times over so many years, really gets you to believe your own lies. Hope everyone enjoys their Flag Day!

WTG Cathleen! That very first run is usually the most difficult, mainly because it includes confidence that is sadly lacking. However, once you complete your mission, as you have found, your confidence soars and you will now be okay.

Enjoy your running, to me it is one of the best activities going, I am bias, I adore it lol. You will make it to that 45 minute straight and more I would bet!
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!

How did you start? I just recently tried running and did fine the first week, then hurt my knee : ( So not sure what I'm doing wrong.
  • Di3012
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm still working on the mind over body thing myself. I'm "training" for my first 5K in July. I can only get up to 2.5 miles, but when I get tired I tell myself, "one more song, you can stop after one more song". Also, the Rent soundtrack really helps me too. The music and the story get me though at least 25 minutes. I may not be able to run the whole 5K, but I'll definitely be able to finish!

Good luck with the next 5!

There is one other way you could push up your mileage you know, everytime you go out training, attempt just another 200m more. You see 200m is not a long stretch, but after two training sessions, you will have added another quarter of a mile to your distance.

I reckon you are more than capable of running the whole 5k, seriously. Best wishes for your race in July.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    When I got out of ICU last year, I could only walk about 300 yards and then I needed a 2 hour nap. A year later I ran my first 5K, and last week I ran a 10K in 59 minutes. You can it.. Lots of training programs like C25K.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It is a big thing. Don't minimize it...be proud!

I remember when I joined the Running Room's clinic in January I was terrified (and I mean TERRIFIED) of running at a 1:1 ratio...yes, running for 1 minute walking for 1 minute off and on for a distance of 1.5 kms... I was actually so scared that I bailed on my first class. I showed up, saw all the people through the window and made my fiance turn the car around... I just couldn't work up the nerve to go in there. Then I cried myself to sleep because I was so angry at myself and felt so pathetic for being so scared.

That being said, the next week I forced myself to go and I am so glad that I did! It is the best decision I have ever made. I have been running for 5.5 months now and can run at a 10:1 ratio for a distance of up to 6.5km... I still don't consider myself a runner, and there are still days where I struggle... THere are still days where I can't run as well as I did the day before...but I keep at it and keep trying.

The most important part of it all is that I am challenging myself and my body...and it makes me feel so proud!

Practice really does make perfect! Keep at it and I am sure you'll reach your goals.
  • dehliahopp
    Options
    i totally understand the crying. i am not even at the stage where i can run at all right now (high impact kills my knees right now), and i have dreams of 5ks, running in beautiful scenery, etc. i know when i lose enough to be able to start running i will be bawling my eyes out -- even if i can only run for 2 minutes.

slowly, yet surely, we will reach our goals. :)
  • Di3012
    Options
    Congrats! It is a big thing. Don't minimize it...be proud!

I remember when I joined the Running Room's clinic in January I was terrified (and I mean TERRIFIED) of running at a 1:1 ratio...yes, running for 1 minute walking for 1 minute off and on for a distance of 1.5 kms... I was actually so scared that I bailed on my first class. I showed up, saw all the people through the window and made my fiance turn the car around... I just couldn't work up the nerve to go in there. Then I cried myself to sleep because I was so angry at myself and felt so pathetic for being so scared.

That being said, the next week I forced myself to go and I am so glad that I did! It is the best decision I have ever made. I have been running for 5.5 months now and can run at a 10:1 ratio for a distance of up to 6.5km... I still don't consider myself a runner, and there are still days where I struggle... THere are still days where I can't run as well as I did the day before...but I keep at it and keep trying.

The most important part of it all is that I am challenging myself and my body...and it makes me feel so proud!

Practice really does make perfect! Keep at it and I am sure you'll reach your goals.

You run, you are a runner, don't let anybody tell you any different :flowerforyou:
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Great work! Any progress is good progress. Ive helped a few people 'learn to run' and the most important thing i can say is focus on your breathing. You know how to move your legs, your body can do what you want it to do but get enough air in/out to give yourself a chance. I breathe slow deep breaths whilst i run and it makes ALOT of difference.

Positive reinforcement and acheiving small daily goals is the best way to stay focussed.

All the best :)
    Dani.
  • Inked_Chik_89
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I was the same as you....Always saying I can't run/jog. I am now up to about 40 minutes straight of jogging. So proud of you! The way to get things done is to push yourself ;-)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I was in your shoes 6 months ago. I have always wanted to run but never thought I could bc I never thought I had the stamina even when I was really fit a few years back. I remember those early 3-5 min runs and having trouble yet getting through and feeling great. Keep pushing. Yesterday I ran 5.1 miles straight in under an hour and training for my first 1/2. Had someone told me this in January that I would be this far; I'd call them a little crazy. You can do it!

And yes I too have felt the urge to cry happy tears at each of my milestones but I instead do a little happy dance or clap and cheer during my cool down on the road. I'm sure oncoming traffic is like WTH? Oh well...
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Pretty neat to see the things our bodies can do, isn't it?
    Running was the key to my entire new outlook of "Well, it may take a bit, but sure I can do that!" I didn't even decide to start running, I was just fast walking on the treadmill and bumped it up too fast, and had to run. The first time, I did 20 seconds of running, and it was one of my proudest 20 seconds ever. The very next day, I looked up running programs, and started C25K. Now, I run between 1 and 3.5 miles usually 4 times a week, and I love it. It's so empowering, to think that this time a year ago, I would never have dreamed of doing the things I do daily now. I've always said "Oh, that would be nice, but I could never do it." Now it's all about working towards being able to do whatever I desire. Right now, I'm working on upper body strength, with the hope of being able to climb a rock wall by the end of summer.
    Congratulations. Really, that is a huge accomplishment.
  • johnsummerton
    johnsummerton Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Oh yes could have been me 18 months ago . I could not run for 5 minutes but at the grand old age of 53 I now run for an hour almost do 6 miles . So it can.be done
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds so familiar! Thanks for sharing! I was a runner years ago but wasn't sure at 48 if I could or should start again. Only thing is running is the only exercise I've ever enjoyed enough to stick to consistently. Nothing else gives me the same sense of accomplishment and well being and nothing else helps me lose and maintain weight loss as effectively. When I started 6 weeks ago, I honestly thought I was going to keel over and die those first few runs. I could barely run a minute. Now using a 5 K trainer app I'm in week 5, running i8 minutes at a time 24 minutes total and it feels like a huge accomplishment. Still running a 14+ mile minute, but that'll come. I feel good and it'll feel even better when I get more of the 30 pounds I need to lose off of me. You made me feel good, thank you. Some people are way ahead but its our own progress and determination that counts and its important to celebrate those milestones. Keep up the great work!
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Did you get good shoes--- like real running shoes from a running store where they fit you for them?. The right shoes are a must...also good stretching before and after.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Oh yes could have been me 18 months ago . I could not run for 5 minutes but at the grand old age of 53 I now run for an hour almost do 6 miles . So it can.be done

I hope to someday bump it up to an hour! Right now my limit is 4 miles without walking, and 6 if I do walking intervals for the second half.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! 5 minutes is just the start!

I need to let you in on a little secret that I wish someone had made clear to me when I was a newbie runner, 6 years ago and all the time before that when I had tried and quit:
    The first 10-20 minutes pretty much universally suck. And you may have runs where 30 minutes suck...or the whole danged workout (though those are really few and far between if you are not pushing harder than your body can tolerate). But just getting to where you can run for 10-20 minutes will open up all the doors to running for you...I promise! :drinker:
  • johnsummerton
    johnsummerton Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I hope to someday bump it up to an hour! Right now my limit is 4 miles without walking, and 6 if I do walking intervals for the second half.
    I did the ease into 10 k app it makes it easier to run an hour still haven't managedto run 10 k in a hour but getting closer