Poly and Moly unsaturated fats

Options
I researched and couldn't figure out why poly and moly unsaturated fats are bad for my diet. I understand the relationship between trans fats and health but everything I read just talked about what they were and how they were constructed, not how they impact your health. Can I get pointed to a definition that would make sense to someone without a medical degree?

Replies

• JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    They aren't bad. If you understand how trans fats are bad, think of these fats doing the opposite. They raise the good and lower the bad. I would seriously question whatever source you heard this from.
  • DEkstein65
    Options
    According to the daily nutrition goals on MFP I should have 0 grams per day of poly, moly, and trans fats. That's why I am a little concerned. What I read seemed to point to the poly and moly as neccesary.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The android app says that I should be getting 20 of each.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    According to the daily nutrition goals on MFP I should have 0 grams per day of poly, moly, and trans fats. That's why I am a little concerned. What I read seemed to point to the poly and moly as neccesary.
    MFP is wrong about everything.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    they are the good fats...they are important for your brain & nervous system!
    the only "bad" from what I read is that the calories add up but IIFYM who cares
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Poly unsaturated and mono unsaturated fats are suppoed to be better for you than saturated fat.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/fat/unsaturatedfat.html is fairly easy to understand.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

If you believe this, why are you here?

Poly & Moly are more about your cholesterol than fat, directly speaking. Your focus should be more on Fat, transfat, Protein & Carbs..
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options

If you believe this, why are you here?
    I use MFP as a calorie/macronutrient tracker, not for their cookie-cutter recommendations.
    Poly & Moly are more about your cholesterol than fat, directly speaking. Your focus should be more on Fat, transfat, Protein & Carbs..
    Trans-fat is also fat.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    Poly and trans I get, but what are moly fats?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Poly and mono unsaturated fats are good for you. You want the majority of your dietary fat intake to come from these types of fats.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Poly and trans I get, but what are moly fats?
    He probably meant monounsaturated fats.
    Either that or Holy Moly unsaturated fats.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I understand why you look at it that way but it's not the case at all. Both of those types of fat are good for you (in the proper ratios, of course). It's just there is no amount that anyone has agreed you should get in your daily diet. So the 0 isn't there to tell you how much you should have. It's just there so if you want to track that category (I do), then you can see it easily. On the app, anyway. For some reason my apps track things better than the website.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Poly unsaturated and mono unsaturated fats are suppoed to be better for you than saturated fat.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/fat/unsaturatedfat.html is fairly easy to understand.
    I wouldn't necessarily say they are "better" fat. They're called essential fats, because your body can't synthesize them, but your body requires saturated fats just as much as unsaturated fats. Your dietary fat should be roughly equal amounts of each; saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated, however if you don't get any saturated fat in your diet, your body will synthesize what it needs from something else when it needs to.
    Regarding trans fat; it's nearly impossible to avoid trans fats altogether if you eat meat. Trans fat is naturally occuring in meat, but in trace amounts only. The trans fat you should avoid altogether is the non-naturally occuring hydrogenated vegetable oil junk.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options

I wouldn't necessarily say they are "better" fat. They're called essential fats, because your body can't synthesize them
    Monounsaturated fats are not essential
    Your dietary fat should be roughly equal amounts of each; saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated,
    Why?
  • jg627
    Options

I wouldn't necessarily say they are "better" fat. They're called essential fats, because your body can't synthesize them
    Monounsaturated fats are not essential
    Your dietary fat should be roughly equal amounts of each; saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated,
    Why?
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/good-fats-bad-fats
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Where in your link do they support what you said?
  • jg627
    Options
    What, that saturated fat isn't the devil?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    No, that's not what you said. You said "your dietary fat should be roughly equal amounts of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated" fats. Where in your link do they support your statement?
  • jg627
    Options
    No, that's not what you said. You said "your dietary fat should be roughly equal amounts of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated" fats. Where in your link do they support your statement?
    Page 2 gives example calorie amounts, total fat amounts and saturated fat amounts.

Maybe if you made it clear what exactly you are trying to argue about, I could argue back more efficiently. Are you trying to debate that there is any need at all for conditionally essential fatty acids or that saturated fat is not needed at all? I don't quite understand.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Page 2 gives example calorie amounts, total fat amounts and saturated fat amounts.
    Page 2 doesn't really say what you recommended - I still don't understand how you arrived at your recommendation.
    Maybe if you made it clear what exactly you are trying to argue about, I could argue back more efficiently. Are you trying to debate that there is any need at all for conditionally essential fatty acids or that saturated fat is not needed at all? I don't quite understand.
    Not sure how you got the impression that I was arguing with you. All I did was ask you a question (along with pointing out that monounsaturated fats are not essential).