Memory Foam Beds - anyone have one?

Options

Replies

• valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a temperpedic as well. Purchased it in early 2008. I HAVE NEVER SLEPT
    BETTER !!! I don't agree that its not good to get groove on. No problems there,
    if you buy a good one -- its not sinking or anything.

It took me 3 years to pay it off $100 payments per month and I still think its
    the best purchase. When we go to bed at night, either my husband or I
    say "i love this bed"

The warmth can happen but if you buy the right sheets, it makes a difference.
    I just keep the covers off if I get to hot, and just keep the sheet over my body
    ... I'm on the 2nd floor, in florida, and just starting to experience hot flashes
    *** IF I STILL THINK ITS WORTH IT ... after all that -- it is !!! :) plus, you get
    a 90 day in home trial through temperpedic !!! Go to a store like City furniture,
    try them out then call temperpedic to get the best deal
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    My friend has one. I can't stand to sleep in it. It's uncomfortable and hot, makes you feel like you're sleeping in a puddle. Ick.

My parents have one and love it, though. To each their own.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    We have one and I love it!! I agree with the hot part but we sleep with the tempature in our room very cold :) also when my sister comes to visit....hubby is on the couch and she climbs in bed with me she says those are her best nights rest and that its the bed that calls her home LOL!! I agree with it being not the best thing to get your nasty on in but it does create creativity! :)
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    im considering buying one...although i heard they aren't great for whoopie-making

LMAO...that's what swings are for!! Just put an hook in the ceiling and you are good to go.

Marry me lol

Lol...all of my husbands male friends had the same reaction.
  • aj_31
    Options
    I have a memory foam mattress, top of the line...cna't remember the maker, but I love it. They do run hot if you only use a fitted sheet...that's why you buy the topper or whatever that white cover thing is called...it makes your bed so much better. During winter you take off the topper and boom, that bed is so nice and warm.

Be warned though! You'll tear up your other furniture in the process! It's been expensive owning that mattress! I've broken a coffee table and a knocked over my armoire and broke the TV inside of it...sex sucks on memory foam so you gotta get creative!

That's awesome. I'm okay with that if I can sleep well at night.
  • aj_31
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to look into the return policy and see how long we have to return it if we don't like it. My husband used to be a hot sleeper but not so much anymore. Usually in the winter we use a heater blanket but sounds like we wouldn't need that if we got this bed. Hmmm....
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my bed. I do get hot but I think that's partially genetic (my dad is the same way) and partially because I have two dogs and a husband using me as a pillow. We got a impermeable cover that goes over the mattress to protect it and a breathable pad on top of that. On the rare occasion that I nap alone I'm never too hot.
    I've actually found that whoopie-making is easier on the memory foam. It's easier to keep my balance when the mattress isn't shifting and bouncing.
    The only thing lacking about this mattress is that we can't play "Toss the Dog." On our old Sleep Number bed, if you jumped onto the bed you could launch one of the dogs into the air. This was especially fun when they were sleeping.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    LOVED MINE!!! They do run warm, but they are like sleeping on a thick cloud of angel breasts.

Interesting. Is it considered cheating if I motorboat?

Seriously, I have a memory foam pillow and on a hot night, the foam material gets pretty hot. I have a guest bed that has a memory foam topper sewn in and that gets warm, too.
  • hyperionguy
    Options
    I love mine and wouldn't give it back for anything. However, your mileage may vary.

I don't have an issue with heat probably because I have one of those cotton mattress protectors on it (it's thin) and awesome sheets. Someone I know solved the 'problem' by using two fitted sheets. During the summer, no way I would have a problem! I have a separate a/c in the master bedroom/bath, so i turn the house up to 80 and the bedroom down to 66... heaven!

Keep in mind that there isn't just 'a' tempurpedic. There is an entire range to choose from, anywhere from rock hard to medium in the standard range and a variety of multi-density ones that have hard cores layered with fluffy soft (which I actually didn't like much).

Most folks I have talked to say it takes a few nights to acclimate so it's hard to judge on just the first night.

Good luck!!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for about 4 years and I still love it! Mine was pretty cheap too - less than $1500 for a king size. It's not a name brand, but it didn't seem to make a difference.
  • Meisterberger
    Options
    Best purchase I ever made:) I got mine for about 1k for a queen.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    We have a Tempurpedic and LOVE it. A hundred times better for sleeping AND sex AND ending back pain. We've had ours for over 7 years and it feels brand new every night. Finally no more waking up every time hubby moves or gets up, and no more losing my balance at . . . inopportune times, shall we say?? :)

Highly highly recommend them.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to look into the return policy and see how long we have to return it if we don't like it. My husband used to be a hot sleeper but not so much anymore. Usually in the winter we use a heater blanket but sounds like we wouldn't need that if we got this bed. Hmmm....

Give it 3-5 nights to get used to it, and you'll never want to go back!! Ours had a bit of a "plasticy" smell at first, but that quickly went away and has been heaven ever since.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Love my temperpedic. Both hubby and I are on goofy schedules, so quality of sleep is often more of a factor than quantity. we don't wake each other up. I don't get hot when he's hot. It did take a couple of nights for me to adjust. In fact I didn't like it much the first night. Making whoopie hasn't been an issue. There are some other brands out there that have "cooling beads" (or something like that) that you can definitely feel the difference in being cooler.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    They used to have this foam years ago...I mean long ago.......Too warm for me.....
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Tempurpedic here... I'm 5'10" 300 plus lbs... wife is 5'4" 120 lbs.... had a pillow top a it just didnt hold up. after 5 years my wifes back was killing her as she always slept on a down hill slant towards me. Now with the tempurpedic, that never happens any more, and her back problems are gone! I'm a big guy and i dont have any issues with getting hot and I sink in a ways. As far as whoopee... best thing thats ever happened !!!! Those commercials where you can bounce on it and not spill a glass of wine.... all true!!!! Think about that when you have a 200 lb difference with your parnter... worth every penny!!!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I had to get rid of mine because I would wake up drenched in sweat every night.

This. So not ideal at my age.:wink:
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    We bought one (the one with the sheep that want to be counted...) for our 4 year old and she went from getting up at like 5 or 6 AM to sleeping until 8 or 9 because her bed is so comfy. Best decision ever! It is a little hot but she sweats in her sleep regardless. We got a mattress protector and cotton sheets. That seems to work well.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    Interesting, the several comments about it being hot. We've never ever noticed that in the 7 years we've had ours. Hmmm. We just have the regular mid-range Tempurpedic, no fancy "pillow top" or anything, though.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have one and hate it. If you are a light sleeper, you'd probably love it. If you toss and turn a lot then you'd hate it.