Heartrate EXTREMELY HIGH while JOGGING

Options
So today I went to the park and went jogging around the track. I averaged a 14 minute mile (4 min jogging 2 minute walking) I was DYING. I checkedy heartrate afterward manually and used my phones stopwatch. My heartrate was 290/min!!!! I'm JOGGING for petesake!! I'm a 24 year old female 5'3 and 168 pounds. What the heck should I do!!

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor maybe there are some issues your only 24 and your weight does not appear to too bad, Also is this your first time running have you been doing cardio?
  • jdmorgan23x
    Options
    you might be dehydrated. . . working out without being properly hydrated will increase your heart rate!
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    You should seek medical advice, not opinions from people on the internet. Seriously - call your doctor, today.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    So today I went to the park and went jogging around the track. I averaged a 14 minute mile (4 min jogging 2 minute walking) I was DYING. I checkedy heartrate afterward manually and used my phones stopwatch. My heartrate was 290/min!!!! I'm JOGGING for petesake!! I'm a 24 year old female 5'3 and 168 pounds. What the heck should I do!!

290?? TWO hundred and ninety beats per minute??

OP first off, just pop along to your doctor to get checked out. Secondly, if your doctor can find nothing wrong and says it is fine for you to jog, cut down the jog times to one minute at a time - ie jog one minute, walk two minutes, jog one minute, walk two minutes.

Do that for a week and then gradually up the jogging by 15 seconds per week and down the walking time by 15 seconds per week at the same time.

290 beats per minute is too rapid. Another reason to get checked out is to see if you have a virus or infection, because that will zoom up your heartbeat and to top that off it is extremely dangerous to do any training/workouts in those circumstances.

Seriously keeping fingers crossed for you that all is okay.

btw just out of curiosity, what is your resting heartrate?
  • Christaaa78
    Christaaa78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it was 290? Because that's really not possible if you're healthy!
    If your heartrate goes up like that, you're running too fast. Try running with someone and keep a pace at which you are still able to chat. Then you are not running too fast.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's possible. Your max heart rate should be somewhere around 196. If your heart rate was that high, you would be calling 911 and you would not feel right. Call the Dr. Get a stress test done. Immediately.
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    ITA with the others. Call your doctor. That's INSANELY high! (unless there's a chance you miscalculated, since you took it manually?)
  • WatchMomRun
    Options
    Seriously, you must be counting wrong. 290 is impossible. I've been a nurse for 20 years and have never seen a HR that high.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I would invest in a HRM and get a more accurate count. That just seems too high.
  • Krissy366
    Options
    Seriously, you must be counting wrong. 290 is impossible. I've been a nurse for 20 years and have never seen a HR that high.

With all due respect, are you a cardiac nurse? It's not impossible. I routinely had rates that high during stress tests when I was diagnosed with non sustained v-tach at 26 years old. My resting rates were sometimes 190 or higher. It may be she calculated wrong but her health should not be diagnosed via internet forum. In fact I think this whole topic is against forum rules.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options

With all due respect, are you a cardiac nurse? It's not impossible. I routinely had rates that high during stress tests when I was diagnosed with non sustained v-tach at 26 years old. My resting rates were sometimes 190 or higher. It may be she calculated wrong but her health should not be diagnosed via internet forum. In fact I think this whole topic is against forum rules.

It's not against Forum rules - it's just not good common sense to ask nor try to diagnose.

OP - see a doctor if you are sure you monitored correctly. For that matter, see a doctor anytime you change your activity level in a big way...you know, "See a doctor before beginning an exercise program."
  • Krissy366
    Options

It's not against Forum rules - it's just not good common sense to ask nor try to diagnose.

OP - see a doctor if you are sure you monitored correctly. For that matter, see a doctor anytime you change your activity level in a big way...you know, "See a doctor before beginning an exercise program."
    Ah thanks. I thought I had remembered something about giving medical advice being against the rules, but couldnt remember for sure.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

From what I can see everybody is advising her to do just that - see her doctor.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's not possible for your heart rate to be 290

I'd make sure your math is correct (or buy a heart rate monitor) before seeking medical advice.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have an abnormally high heart rate and the highest I have ever seen on my HRM is about 225. 290 is impossible unless you're have heart twitches or fluttering, in which you would definitely notice something was wrong. I would recommend a heart rate monitor if you want to accurately record your heart rate.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Call or better yet, go in to your doctor. They should check out the rapid heart rate.
  • samdanbybailey
    Options
    You would die, either you can't count or you shouldn't be asking for help on here.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I think you may have messed up on the math because that seems WAY too high.
    When I was out of shape, my heart would probably hit around 186-190 when jogging.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I checkedy heartrate afterward manually and used my phones stopwatch.

290 beats/ minute is more than 4 per second. Not sure you can possibly count that fast. Use a HR monitor next time for better accuracy
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I personaaly wouldn't run anymore until I seen a doctor!! That is a heart attack waiting to happen!!!!!!!!!!! YIKES! :brokenheart: