Updating HRM settings

Options
I have the Polar FT4, use it religiously, and absolutely LOVE IT!

For those of you with a heart rate monitor, how often do you update your current weight settings? Does keeping your current weight current on the HRM make it more accurate? Also, while on the topic of updating settings... does anyone change the "in the zone" numbers? Lower or highter?

Thanks for all the input :)

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, use it religiously, and absolutely LOVE IT!

For those of you with a heart rate monitor, how often do you update your current weight settings? Does keeping your current weight current on the HRM make it more accurate? Also, while on the topic of updating settings... does anyone change the "in the zone" numbers? Lower or highter?

Thanks for all the input :)

Everytime I lose some more pounds, I update my weight settings on my FT4. It does make the calorie burn more accurate.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I update my weight when I think about it -- usually a month late. I use an online calculator to compute my VO2Max as my Polar gives we wildly erratic numbers, so that gets entered in manually. As my RHR is probably as low as it's going to get for a while, that number doesn't need to be changed much.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I update mine about every 5 pounds or so. I haven't noticed it making too much of a difference in similar exercises, though.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I try to change mine every few weigh ins. Mainly because I forget but I try not to be more then 5 lbs away. Other then that I dont touch anything else. I have a Polar FT7. I will only change it to what my weigh in was that week. I yo-yo 3-6 lbs during the week at times.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I usually update when I remember, so every couple lbs. :smile:

And yes it is going to make it more accurate because the heavier you are the more calories you are "burning" at a given heart rate, so if you are lying to your HRM telling it you are moving around more fat and muscle than you really are it is going to overestimate your burn. But I am sure as long as you are within a few pounds it is pretty close.

It sucks though because as you lose weight and get in shape you burn less and less cals doing the same workout. :ohwell: BUT you are making progress!! :bigsmile:

I don't change the "in the zone" numbers, I think that is more for people who have abnormally high or low heart rates. You coule probably talk to a doctor about that but otherwise I would leave it alone.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I update my weight when I think about it -- usually a month late. I use an online calculator to compute my VO2Max as my Polar gives we wildly erratic numbers, so that gets entered in manually. As my RHR is probably as low as it's going to get for a while, that number doesn't need to be changed much.

Link please.... :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Link please.... :)

HRM tab, 2nd section about VO2max. Based on a study that was found more accurate than submaximal tests. Not as good as real one though, but free.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE
  • glonigan
    glonigan Posts: 82
    Options
    Same with the other posters -- I update mine about every 5 lbs.
  • heybales
    Options

The HR zone is for your personal training desires - no bearing on estimating calories.

Now, you set a zone where you want to make sure you train in, and that will help you stay there.

As mentioned, you get in better cardio shape at same weight, your are working less and burning less. You lose weight on top of that, you burn less too.
    Double whammy.

That's where the muscle confusion theory comes from, you never let your muscles get real good and efficient at any one thing, and it's easier to keep your HR high just for that fact.

But you can keep your HR high by just pushing higher too.

Yes to weight about every 5 lbs being updated.

Getting the maxHR personal stat correct is even more important, on same HRM page as age/height/weight stats.
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    What if you gain due to muscle? For example, if you gain 5lbs and it's muscle, not fat, do you still update the hrm so it's +5lbs?
  • heybales
    Options
    What if you gain due to muscle? For example, if you gain 5lbs and it's muscle, not fat, do you still update the hrm so it's +5lbs?

Are you carrying that extra weight around with you?

Actually, to that point.

Do you run naked?

Or are you actually carrying about 3-5 lbs of clothing?