Mental Aspect of Weightloss

Options
I'm just wondering if any of you have any tips for dealing with the mental aspect of weight loss...i.e. the negative self-talk, depression, denial, excuses, fear and so on. I've had some success over the last year, about 50 pounds lost, but that was just from making an effort to cut down on Fast Food. I'm now looking to adopt a clean eating lifestyle, but the mental aspect of it is stressful and ultimately undermining my desire to even commit to this lifestyle. Any advice would be great.

Replies

• miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering if any of you have any tips for dealing with the mental aspect of weight loss...i.e. the negative self-talk, depression, denial, excuses, fear and so on. I've had some success over the last year, about 50 pounds lost, but that was just from making an effort to cut down on Fast Food. I'm now looking to adopt a clean eating lifestyle, but the mental aspect of it is stressful and ultimately undermining my desire to even commit to this lifestyle. Any advice would be great.

You are not alone I feel all of this. The weird thing is right before a big whoosh of a weight loss, overwhelming depression hits me and I cry many times the day before and not even know why. I am sending you a friend invite to remind you that you are not alone. You can read my profile it is open to MFP members
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Find a buddy who either has been through what you're going through or is willing to go through it with you. I use this website for the majority of my support. You can do this!
  • ABetterBalance
    Options

Like others have said, you are not alone in this! The mental aspect of weight loss/fitness can be a benefit or a burden (often both) I struggled with this a lot the first time around (many years ago) and ultimately ended up gaining most of the weight back. You've made some great progress already, and with time, the mental struggle will become easier (or so I've been told!)
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I keep a blog and follow other weight loss blogs. Having that network really helps keep me motivated.

Check out http://www.runsforcookies.com/ (not my blog). She's a great daily read, and she has a huge list of other weight loss blogs to check out (submitted by her readers).
  • cjmas
    cjmas Posts: 63
    Options
    Have you tried cognative therapy? That might be the answer.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I think that what helps me a lot is to take it one meal at a time. Otherwise I get overwhelmed by the prospect of all the lbs I have to lose and how long it will take, etc.