How DOES heart rate factor into calories burned?

Options
BrendaLee
BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
Someone in another thread questioned how a heart rate monitor determines how many calories you've burned- I don't really get it either?

Replies

• RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Someone in another thread questioned how a heart rate monitor determines how many calories you've burned- I don't really get it either?

Azdak had a really good answer to this question so I'm going to put the link where you can see him address it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/63043-running-calories-are-way-off
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    So heart rate monitors assume a direct relationship between heart rate and calorie burn/ effort? I was wondering because there are other things that put your heart rate up (like when we get scared/ anxious/ angry), and I was thinking if heart rate is directly related to calorie burn, do we burn more calories when our heart rate goes up because we're angry or excited? I'm guessing no after reading that explanation.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    So heart rate monitors assume a direct relationship between heart rate and calorie burn/ effort? I was wondering because there are other things that put your heart rate up (like when we get scared/ anxious/ angry), and I was thinking if heart rate is directly related to calorie burn, do we burn more calories when our heart rate goes up because we're angry or excited? I'm guessing no after reading that explanation.

Therein lie the limitations of using HRM as calorie counters. Again, not to dismiss their effectiveness as a tool, but, like everything else, one needs to understand that there are inaccuracies and variables built into all of this.

Actually I was thinking about this issue today when I was running and I think I will collect some data on myself and see if I can detect any patterns. I am going to track the differences between my treadmill-counted calories (calculated using standard, accepted ACSM equations) and my Polar HRM-calculated calories, also factoring in avg intensity. My hypothesis is that, especially in fit individuals, HRMs significantly underestimate calories. Not that the treadmill count is a "gold standard", but I am curious to see how much the percent of variation differs between lower and higher intensities.

For example, today I ran 90 minutes and averaged 6.76 mph. Avg HR was 130. Treadmill says I burned 1692 calories, Polar recorded 1336, a 26% difference.

If I get really anal, I might try looking at the differences at different times during the run (e.g. at 2 miles, 4 miles, etc), but I don't think I can remember that many numbers ;-)
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    Just stuff a little notepad into your shorts.

Azdak, has anyone ever commented on your striking resemblence to Ted Danson? In your profile photo, at least. :tongue:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Just stuff a little notepad into your shorts.

Azdak, has anyone ever commented on your striking resemblence to Ted Danson? In your profile photo, at least. :tongue:

Ted Dansen, huh? When I was younger, some said I looked like Harry Anderson from the TV show "Night Court". As I hit my mid-40s I just started looking like my late Uncle Ted, from the Polish side of the family. ;-(

Because I have been out of work, very few people I know have seen me since I started losing weight. And since I don't have money for new clothes, I am still wearing all my baggy fat clothes so some of the people who have seen me haven't really noticed. I am going to a convention in October where I plan my grand "unveiling".

176328.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Therein lie the limitations of using HRM as calorie counters. Again, not to dismiss their effectiveness as a tool, but, like everything else, one needs to understand that there are inaccuracies and variables built into all of this.

Actually I was thinking about this issue today when I was running and I think I will collect some data on myself and see if I can detect any patterns. I am going to track the differences between my treadmill-counted calories (calculated using standard, accepted ACSM equations) and my Polar HRM-calculated calories, also factoring in avg intensity. My hypothesis is that, especially in fit individuals, HRMs significantly underestimate calories. Not that the treadmill count is a "gold standard", but I am curious to see how much the percent of variation differs between lower and higher intensities.

For example, today I ran 90 minutes and averaged 6.76 mph. Avg HR was 130. Treadmill says I burned 1692 calories, Polar recorded 1336, a 26% difference.

If I get really anal, I might try looking at the differences at different times during the run (e.g. at 2 miles, 4 miles, etc), but I don't think I can remember that many numbers ;-)

I'd be interested in your results. There are these little key chain recorders, you can just say the number into them. Ted Danson, hmmmm? I can't say I see it, although maybe your right eye. But you do remind me of a former colleague. He was an olympic long distance runner, by the way.