Swimming for beginners

Hello everyone,

I am considering taking up swimming maybe twice a week as cross training for my running. I can swim but I'm neither strong nor graceful lol.

Where do I start? What strokes/exercises do I do? What to expect and what to build up to?

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Replies

• JLasick
    JLasick Posts: 2
    Here is a good link for the basic strokes from livestrong.com

http://www.livestrong.com/article/348819-what-are-the-easiest-strokes-for-lap-swimming/

This will give you the basics and it has links to other info. I would try a couple different strokes ie. breast and back stroke and do some laps to find out which stroke are more comfortable to you. I would work and form and the proper stroke before speed and distance. Once you get the proper form and stroke down over time you can work on speed. Beware though, you will be sore after swimming because it uses your muscles differenlty then walking/running.

Just start out slow and don't over do it. You will build up distance and speed over time. I would not recommend going to the pool for laps if your legs are sore from the previous days workout.

Good luck
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Thank you J, it makes sense to work on form before worrying too much about distance and speed. This will be very challenging for me.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    I know it sounds facetious, but I would say swimming lessons.

Something like swimming where you cannot see yourself, is easiest learnt with someone watching you, as what you feel you are doing doesn't always match up with what you are actually doing. Not to mention there are probably small technical details that make it a lot easier if you know what you're doing.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Well, it makes sense. I did say that it would be challenging and that I'm not graceful (which would suggest that I'm perhaps not very intuitive when it comes to physical activity). Getting some lessons does not sound like a bad idea at all!
  • JeanieQueen
    JeanieQueen Posts: 21 Member
    I wish you lots of luck with your swimming. I'm considering swimming, too. I was so happy when we moved to my current complex. It has a lovely pool and the neighborhood people are awesome. It's not overrun with people and people are respectful if they see you're teaching your kids or you're doing laps. (It's super nice.) I haven't gotten up the nerve to actually go & just swim, yet, b/c I'm quite big, BUT I'm thinking about this summer.

Anyway, your post inspired me. Good luck!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    I agree that lessons can be great for improving your stroke technique. Sometimes, if you just need small refinements in your strokes, the lifeguards will be willing to offer quick pointers - I know I was always happy to in my lifeguarding days, as long as the pool wasn't to busy.
  • Gregg_I_Am
    Gregg_I_Am Posts: 6 Member
    Great idea gracieabem to mix up your workouts with swimming! It's a great choice as it helps with breath control, gives your joints a break from running, and is a whole-body workout.
    JLasick's advice is ideal, learn those basic strokes and then get in the water and work on form. Knowing the strokes and having tried them in the water will help speed up effectiveness of lessons too.

@JeanieQueen-- how wonderful that you have that pool right there, and are willing to take advantage of it! Get out there and swim, you'll be happy you do-- everything will feel and fit better after just a few weeks. Plus, summer begins on Wednesday, yippee.

~~~Thanks for this post-- it has inspired me to get off the couch, close the computer, and go to the POOL!!
  • Hi, I agree with Hello Dan,

A few lessons will sort you out and give you the confidence you need.

I'm a pretty good swimmer and recently had a swimming lesson with a swimming instructor and she found loads of things I was doing wrong. She helped me improve my technique no end and gave me a few new tricks to do to improve my performance.

Nothing wrong with having lessons!
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Total Immersion is a good book that helped me out (in conjunction with swimming lessons).
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    yes swimming lessons are good, right now I need to work on endurance and my stroke, while I'd say
    I will probably not learn all that much from my swim instructors at our community pool I am happy to be
    getting in the pool time and working on endurance....and plan on joining a masters group in the fall

Connie
  • I swim and generally, alternate between butterfly, breast, and back stroke. It's a terrific workout and yes you feel it, but it's much easier on your joints.