Need running advice!

Options
Hi all you runners out there! I'm looking for some  evaluation of just where I am.  I haven't run in over 16 years and I avoided at all costs prior to that.  I am now determined to beat it.  So I went and was fitted for a new pair of New Balance runners yesterday and RAN at lunch time.  I ran continuously for a mile which took me just under 12 minutes on my treadmill I acquired from a yard sale a couple of weeks ago.

This evening I decided to try running/walking 5K to see where i am at.  It took me 38  minutes.

I need a program to get faster.  Help!

If you want more background checkout my profile.  

Thankful for any input!

Replies

• RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Running a mile straight in 12 mins and walking/running 5K is a great start! But the first thing to remember when you are a beginner (or just about) runner is to take it easy. There is no need to rush into running 5K all at once, even if you are someone who easily takes to running. Increasing your distance/speed too quickly can easily cause injury which can sidetrack you from your routine. You wouldn't try to bench-press your body weight the 1st time you enter a gym, right? You need time to build muscles and work up to it-running muscles work the same way. Since you have tried out 5 K already, why not use the Couch 2 5K program? This provides with structure of doing running/walking intervals to running 5K without walking intervals. Or something this schedule: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Once you are able to run 5K straight without walking, you can start on speeding up your time. But it's best to focus on laying the base-work before doing speed-work. When you get to this point, again, you want to gradually increase your speed (say 15% faster each time).

The last thing I would suggest is to not skip a warm up. If you are relatively fit, a half-mile warm up should be long enough.
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yep, what Ruthicass said.
    Slow down.
    Take it easy.
    C25K
  • MrExcessive
    Options
    I was not much of a runner either. How achieved getting better at it was 1) Not using a treadmill (nothing like actually running) 2) I did sprints it helps build stamina 3) Insanity (BeachBody Program) helped tremendously build my cardio endurance 4) It takes time!!! do a mile then a mile and a half work your way up rushing into will only cause injuries. Good Luck and keep at it.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great already!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters. Don't try to go too fast too soon or you'll just end up hurting yourself. Good job getting fitted for good shoes - that's the first step to making any running progress. C25K is great if you are working toward a 5K, but if you can already run a 5K and are just wanting to get faster, try hill repeats, interval runs, and crosstraining (such as Insanity) to help build muscle and endurance.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    that doesn't sound so bad for your first run in a long time. my first run in years was about 2 miles long and took me almost 30 minutes.

rule of thumb for running, you either run to improve distance or speed, but never both. and stay at a pace where you could keep a conversation with someone next to you.

if you really want to become a runner, you need to run about three to four times a week. one run should be to increase speed, and one for distance. the other two can be "maintenance" runs. only increase your distance about 10% each week, any more risks injury. on speed days, pick a short distance, and sprint for 30 seconds, rest for 30. or do 400 meter repeats where you go as fast as you can for 400 meters (1/4 mile, one loop of a track) and then jog for 400 meters. do 3-4 of these at first.

remember, this is all about baby steps. don't bite off more then you can chew at first, and listen to your body. rest days are important.
  • Kmcmane
    Kmcmane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've used this program whenever I start running again after a long break. It's great:

http://www.vancouversun.com/pdf/SportMedLearnToRun10KProgram.pdf

(can't insert a link, so copy and paste to your browser)
    Good luck!
  • notpregnant23
    notpregnant23 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    C25K
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Holly crap! You didn't run for 16+ years and then you just hoped off the couch and ran 3 miles!?!!?!?!? Wow Go YOU! Wish I could have done that... it took me a month to get to 3 miles... That's pretty impressive if you ask me - but everyone says don't over do it. 10% increase at a time EITHER pace OR distance NOT BOTH at the same time. :)
  • DirtyStacks
    DirtyStacks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Holly crap! You didn't run for 16+ years and then you just hoped off the couch and ran 3 miles!?!!?!?!? Wow Go YOU! Wish I could have done that... it took me a month to get to 3 miles... That's pretty impressive if you ask me - but everyone says don't over do it. 10% increase at a time EITHER pace OR distance NOT BOTH at the same time. :)

Well it wasn't quite like that. I started MFP in Feb. I started cardio in March. I Had been doing all of my cardio on an elliptical and bike (stationary and recently an actual bicycle. I started out at 300 mins a month. I now do around 2800 min/month. I hadn't tried running because I thought my weight was too heavy and didn't want to risk injuring my knees. But I can say that I was able to do those 4.9 miles today (1.8 and then 3.1) relatively easy. I varied my pace in an effort to just test out running and seeing what I could do. I ran as fast as 7.5 mph a couple of times for about a minute, and found I had to walk for a bit after those sprints. I found I could comfortably sustain 5 mph, 5.5 was a little struggle for more than about 10 mins. I could do 6mph for about 5 mins. I eventually settled in at 5 and ran easily for 15 mins at that pace. I definitely understand taking it slow, but I wanted to stretch the legs so to speak, see what I was capable of doing from the start. I am certain that if I ran at 5mph steadily, I could probably go 5 miles based on how I felt today.

I know not to overdue it but c25k seems a little slow starting based on what I have already been doing for cardio and what my unscientific inexperienced self evaluation of running out of the new shoe box today showed. Am I wrong?

I have a vision to be able to do a 10k by end of summer, I still have a ton of weight to lose, but I feel like after running today, it was a better workout than any other cardio I have been doing.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It's not compulsory to follow c25k :smile:

But....

Running is a little tough on your body, not just your lungs! More so on the muscles, ligaments and joints etc.... This is especially true in the beginning!

Taking it steady now with either a interval program like c25k or by run/walking say a 5/1 schedule, will probably pay off big down the road in terms of preventing the worst of new runners niggles/injuries like shin splints etc...

There is no rush, patience in a new runner is a huge positive IMO!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm someone who took time off from running and then came back too- not quite 16 years, but long enough. It doesn't get talked about much in the forums, but I think those of us who have previously been runners adapt to it more quickly than brand new runners- in about 2 months I'm up to a 10-mile long run 1-2x per week. But please, be careful- your body can deceive you! Your muscles and cardiovascular system might be ready to spring back, but your joints don't get used to it so easy! If you push it too hard you're asking for knee or hip or ankle issues that have the potential for ruining your progress! So you need to exercise a bit of discipline and hold back- as hard as that is. Alternate your running with the bike and elliptical to alleviate some of the joint strain, get yourself a good flexibility routine if you don't have one (particularly for the IT band!) and I have had knee problems in the past, so I prophylacticly ice and elevate my knees after running. Hope that helps!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Why not jump in to c25k about half way through and then look at bridge to 10 k