Substitutes?

Options
So there's cauliflower for potatoes, but I wonder what else is out there. I tried to google it but all it gave me was whole milk vs skim milk kind of things and that's not what I'm looking for. I also know there's sugar substitutes also but I know about that also. Does anyone know of what I am talking about?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Substitutes for ......? Potatoes? Or are you looking for a list that substitutes "this for that"?
  • bobbi_jo2
    bobbi_jo2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can also use cauliflower for rice. It's quickly becoming something I eat frequently. Also, I've heard you can use plain greek yogurt for sour cream. I haven't tried that one yet, but plan on trying it in a recipe this sunday. Humm...I know there are so many others, I'm just having trouble thinking of them right now!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yes - plain Greek yogurt for sour cream happens all the time at our house. :bigsmile: I use it on the table for baked potatoes or on mexican food, and I've subbed it in recipes that call for sour cream. Love it!
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    Some people swear by tofu noodles or shirataki noodles as a substitute for regular pasta. I tried it and hated it, but it was worth the 2$ to try it because HAD IT BEEN GOOD it would have made life easier!!
  • CourtneyHollinger
    CourtneyHollinger Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Oh ya the cauliflower for rice I have heard and the greek yogurt, but the tofu noodles I'll have to try but what did you not like about it? I wonder if there is anything for bread... MY WEAKNESS! How do you cook spaghetti squash bc it was nothing like noodles... the directions I had were awful. Thank you everyone!
  • CourtneyHollinger
    CourtneyHollinger Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just a list like

cauliflower- potatoes/rice
    greek yogurt-sour cream
    honey-sugar

and ect:smile:
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    fro teh spaghetti squash cut it lenghtwise and brush with olive oil and bake at 350 for about an hour and then scrape it out with a fork I love it with marinara sauce or just plain with some pepper and a little salt
  • Rach911
    Rach911 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash as a subsitute for spaghetti or rice.
    Also, not one that many might like or need is a subsitute for tomatoes. I recently became highly allergic to tomatoes, so I make my own "tomato" sauce using pureed red peppers. Also in recipes when it calls for tomato sauce or tomato anything I use pumpkin puree. The taste is a little different, but not too bad.
  • MrsSamB
    MrsSamB Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    For spaghetti squash:
    Pierce the squash on all sides with a fork.
    Put in microwave for about 10 minutes (if it doesn't weigh more than 3.5 lbs)
    When it's finished, cut in half and scrape out the seeds the best that you can. Then, use a fork to scrape the squash.

blessings,
    sam
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Try making pizza crust out of cauliflower. Delish! You have to play with the recipe if you want a lower fat version. http://stickafork.net/2012/04/16/cauliflower-crust-pizza/
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is too much trouble for me. I've stopped eating grains...mostly....so instead of pasta I use zucchini squash. I just grate it with a cheese grater and saute it in a skillet with some oil and pepper and garlic for about 3 minutes.

Instead of rice, cauliflower. (Also use cauliflower as a pizza "crust")

Instead of butter or lots of oil for sauteeing veggies - use water and a little salt-free broth.

Instead of sour cream or heavy salad dressing, use nonfat plain yogurt mixed with spices or salsa.

Instead of butter, use coconut oil.

Instead of dessert, have apple slices with a little cinnamon.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Instead of mayo, use avocado.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Instead of mayo, use avocado.
    Or hummus! Or a wedge of Laughing Cow soft cheese - garlic & herb is my current fave. :tongue:
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I made cauliflower couscous this week with a chicken and veg tagine. It's almost impossible to tell the difference.

Blitz the cauli to couscous size in a food processor, add a drizzle of water to it, then microwave for 5 mins with 1 stir. Mix in a little salt and ground cumin and serve it with any tagine, fresh chopped parsley and toasted pine nuts.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Bumping this back to the top. I'd love more ideas!