time to stop eating

Options
If I go to bed at 10 P.M. most nights, what time should I NOT eat anything else? Is it true if you eat and lay down it all turns directly to fat?

Replies

• Brie777
    Brie777 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i've never heard that before!
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    Of course not - your metabolism runs all the time. As long as you're not eating over your calories, and you're not going to bed uncomfortably full, it doesn't matter.
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I heard the same thing, but it was 8 pm
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Stop eating whenever you want!! As long as you don't go over your daily cals you will be fine
  • ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That is not true. Eat whenever you want. Just stay with in your macro-nutrients needs for the day! I love to eat a sweet something before I hit the sack.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I eat a bowl of ice cream almost every night before bed and I have lost 20 pounds. I stop eating when I feel like it, not according to the clock.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Unless you get indigestion if you sleep on a full stomach, meal timing is irrelevant.

I have a glass of chocolate milk right before I go to bed every night. Yum. :smile:
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I eat a cup of ice cream at midnight, RIGHT before I go to bed. I don't think that myth is true!
  • sneekspeete
    sneekspeete Posts: 136
    Options
    Thank u. I'm glad to hear that! Its 9:00 now in Maryland, I'm starving so I'm gonna eat, then lay down :tongue: thanks again everyone. Maybe some chocolate -still got 400 cals left!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I believe its basically a myth and will not directly contribute to weight gain. Search google for "don't eat before bed myth" and form your own opinion

There are other reasons not to eat before bed. For example it can cause digestion problems and that can affect your sleep quality.

Heavy eating before bed can cause acid reflux that can end up burning your esophagas
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Definitely do not eat after 10pm if that is your bedtime. You're likely to choke in your sleep! Otherwise, time makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Definitely do not eat after 10pm if that is your bedtime. You're likely to choke in your sleep! Otherwise, time makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE!

Wait a minute! I went to bed at 11pm and now 3 hours later I've just eaten an apple! Will I choke?
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options

Wait a minute! I went to bed at 11pm and now 3 hours later I've just eaten an apple! Will I choke?
    Apparently you're more talented than most. Eating AND typing in your sleep. Perhaps you should lie down.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You know 6 months ago the majority of replies would tell her not to eat past 7pm. This thread gives me hope =)
  • Wonderob
    Options

Apparently you're more talented than most. Eating AND typing in your sleep. Perhaps you should lie down.

As much as I would like to blame some of my more argumentative posts on being asleep whilst I typed them, the truth is that I get up most nights for a snack and a browse on here
  • pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I can't sleep if I'm the slightest bit hungry so I've always eaten a snack within an hour of going to bed. I've done it my entire life and never had excess weight until recently (because of the evil menopause).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You know 6 months ago the majority of replies would tell her not to eat past 7pm. This thread gives me hope =)

I am sure a 'should I eat breakfast' thread will come along soon that wil shatter that hope!
  • Wonderob
    Options

Yeah some of the diet myths are pretty funny. My mum thought that because she once went in a sauna and came out a pound lighter than when she went in, all I need to do to shift my extra 14 lbs is visit the sauna once a day for 2 weeks!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If I go to bed at 10 P.M. most nights, what time should I NOT eat anything else?

9:59 pm. Or 10pm if you are ok with eating in bed
    Is it true if you eat and lay down it all turns directly to fat?

No, that is absurd.
  • jenslife82
    jenslife82 Posts: 229
    Options
    I think that eating breakfast helps you burn more calories throughout the day but makes no sense that just before bed calories turn to fat. Your body heals and regenerates durning sleep so needs calories for that too. I'd say eat before bed if you have calories left for it!