Anybody tracking sugar? I keep going over ughh!

Options
I can't seem to stay in the green in my sugar column although I've been doing pretty well with staying under in calories, carbs, sodium, fat, and protein. Any suggestions/advice?

Replies

• bwiggans
    bwiggans Posts: 3
    Options
    what are you drinking and eating? gotta check the sugar count in what you consume, i know i have the same issue but i know what is causing my sugar to be in the red every day. damn Pepsi lol.
  • sherryjohnson2012
    sherryjohnson2012 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    hard to tell when your food diary is not open to view...
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    My trick is to have more protein. I actually end up going over my daily "recommended" protein intake pretty much every single day, but I'm usually below (well below, even) on carbs (and sugar). Basically, eat lots of veggies, some meat, and high protein foods without willingly cutting carbs (keep eating fruits) and it all should sensibly fall into place.

The numbers are guidelines, too. Maybe it'll work that way for you. Just make sure you spread out in the other nutrient types too though. Some healthy fat can is good for you!

Edit: oh wow, forget I said anything, I actually wasn't tracking sugar as I thought and I'M in the red all over the place. My own fault though. Energy drinks amostly. But it's been a few bad days. Usually, sticking away from any sugary drinks does the trick :)
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Open your diary. Try not to drink your Cal and watch your fruit.
  • JBHawaii
    JBHawaii Posts: 94
    Options
    if it is from fruit and you are consuming it in moderation then I would say don't worry. If its from processed horribleness then its time to pull in the reigns and figure out what it is that puts you over and get rid of it.

I eat 'over' my sugar occasionally but its because I follow a paleo diet and I eat fruit as one of my primary carb sources... nbd if its from the 'right' source.
  • dr0p4ah0y
    dr0p4ah0y Posts: 22
    Options
    I have the same problem! For me, fruit is the culprit so I try to cut back on that. :) (And I keep my diary closed too, haha)
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have to make a major effort with my sugar - I'm constantly going over. I did stop eating most processed things and I'm not eating any refined sugar or anything bad. So I guess that's one plus - it's all natural sugar. Except for that coke at the movies last week... but I totally saved up for that and it was worth every sip. Yum.

I'm thinking I need to just get sugar off my page so it doesn't psyche me out every day. If you know you're eating healthy and not junk, you might want to do the same. Also - I'm focusing more on fruits that have far less naturally occurring sugar in them. That really helped me today.
  • jennable
    jennable Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing when I first started. Just a banana and a cup of yogurt would put me over on sugar. It made me much more aware of the amount of sugar I consume. It is tough!
  • noctilumina
    noctilumina Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I hadn't been looking at sugar until I read your post. Thanks for bringing it up, and thanks to all for the helpful replies. If I eat 1 medium Fuji apple and 3 steamed and peeled baby beets then I've crossed into the red for that day. I've just started my journey to health and fitness, and it will be a long time before I worry about that particular red number!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    look at where it's coming from. fruit? carbs? treats? how low are you setting it?
  • angelraguel
    angelraguel Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    where are you getting your other colums from? I only have Calories, Carbs, Fat, Protein colums :o
  • mscrholder
    mscrholder Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you all sooo much for the advice!! I apologize for asking my question with a closed diary. It's all yours now! : )
  • mscrholder
    mscrholder Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you soo much! What fruits are you choosing with low sugar?
  • lilmzzgreeneyez
    lilmzzgreeneyez Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i track my sugar and sodium. i almost always go over too. unfortunately a greek yogurt has like 18 grams of sugar in it and thats really high since my limit is like 39 grams. then add a banana or a bowl of cheerios and im over lol. right now im in the red at 10 grams over and i still have way too many calories im suppose to be eating. it sucks.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    All I can tell you is this: When you set up your food diary settings, you can track whatever you wish.
    I don't know WHY MFP picks the numbers they do, but I'm assuming they know something I don't.
    There are suggested guidelines here for a reason.
    I think it's a wise idea to keep track of as many as possible
    Calories, Fat, Sodium, Carbs, and Sugar seem to have the biggest impact on your overall health.

Eventually it's a great challenge to keep ALL them close to the line....

I do notice how my body responds to a high sugar content day, even if it's mostly from fruit.
    My body doesn't seem to know the difference.........it just triggers the sweet tooth
    and it starts going NOMNOMNOM.....GIMME MORE>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    i track my sugar and sodium. i almost always go over too. unfortunately a greek yogurt has like 18 grams of sugar in it and thats really high since my limit is like 39 grams. then add a banana or a bowl of cheerios and im over lol. right now im in the red at 10 grams over and i still have way too many calories im suppose to be eating. it sucks.

may I offer a suggestion? I started getting PLAIN greek yogurt, and sweetening it stevia and vanilla or adding fresh fruit.
  • noctilumina
    noctilumina Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    where are you getting your other colums from? I only have Calories, Carbs, Fat, Protein colums :o

If you click on the "Food" tab on top, and then the "Settings" tab underneath that, you can select up to 5 nutrients to track. I had carbs, protein and fat as default, and then I added saturated fat and trans fat. I honestly don't know what trans fats are, but after a week of never having one show up in my food, I switched to sodium. (I'm eating a lot of frozen entrees because I'm just starting and I like that the nutrition facts and portions are already in the database here. :tongue:) When that didn't go anywhere near red I tried sugar!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    you'd be better off picking veggies over fruits for snacks. but, really look at the 100cal snack bags. my friend said if you're gonna watch your sugar keep each item at 5 or under. those snack bags things are over 5. maybe eat more protein? that would knock out some of the sugars.....

i don't eat a lot of fruit. i love fruit, but i don't eat much of it. if i'm going to snack, i try something that is higher in protein. i do sugar free breads if i have to have carbs/ bread. sugar free protein bars if i can. low carb/ low sugar protein powder.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I don't have diabetes, so I don't track sugar.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Does it matter? (Genuine question)

I'm AWFUL for sugar but everything else is pretty much okay when I'm on track. How 'bad' is it? x